Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th September 2017, 12:15 PM   #1
Bejo

Hello Jean,

The result even exceed my prediction

I don't know why this keris has top part like that.
But, when I examine the pamor from the top part. I have just realized that the pamor is not exceeding the edge of the wilah. Thats quite strange to me. From my opinion, it looks like the creator of top part has calculated so the pamor won't exceed it's edge.

Also, the two side also have different shape of top edge. Does the top part (pucuk wilah)of this keris slightly tilted? Could you provide the picture of the top part rotated 90 degree? (From it's thin side)

Thank you

Best regards,

Joe
Bejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 01:59 PM   #2
rasdan

Hi Jean,

That's one nice keris. Congratulations. It's a pity it got broken like that. Nevertheless it is still a very handsome keris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejo
Hello Jean,

But, when I examine the pamor from the top part. I have just realized that the pamor is not exceeding the edge of the wilah. Thats quite strange to me. From my opinion, it looks like the creator of top part has calculated so the pamor won't exceed it's edge.
Hi Bejo,

I think since the thickness of the blade towards the tip reduces after being reshaped, IMHO it is natural that the pamor does not exceed the wilah.

I once reshaped a broken tip of a keris. We can adjust the thickness when filing so that the pamor does not exceed towards the tip. If it is too close to the tip just file a bit more.

We just need to etch the blade a bit along the way so that we can see where the pamor is after each session of filing/grinding. Picture below is the reshaped tip before and after it was etched. We can see the pamor surfacing. (I think this pic is from different side though)
Attached Images

Last edited by rasdan; 5th September 2017 at 02:16 PM.
rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 02:36 PM   #3
Jean

Yes, Rasdan is right, if you file the tip of a blade the steel core will be exposed so there is a slorok (exposed core without pamor) at the edge of the tip.
Joe, the odd look of the tip (asymmetrical) is simply because the blade was cut and a new tip was made by filing.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 03:32 AM   #4
Bejo

Hello Rasdan and Jean,

Thank you for your explanation. It adds new experince to me.

Besr regards,

Joe
Bejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 05:12 PM   #5
kulbuntet

Hi Jean and all others,

First, never the less the origin of the blade, reshaping and age, IMO a very nice blade! Providing a blade the looks that are pleasant to the eye within the options and with the intention to do it as good one can do, is never (IMO) a bad thing.

I wonder what the measurements of the blade are, and were when it still had all its luks before reshaping. Maybe this could provide a better view on the possibility if it could be Banten or Bali. The first thing that came up in my mind was indeed Banten, before reading one word. But i will never claim in anyway to be any kind of expert. So that is probably not worth much.

I life in the Netherlands, as some of you might know. And my country in probably one of the country's world wide that have the most kerisses after the Indonesian and Malay area, but i have to say that i did not see much Banten keris here in Netherlands except in museum collections.

The finished result is in my eyes pleasurable to see, and also for the washing result of the blade impressive. Did you get this in the first try? And what type of waragnan did you use?

Kind regards Michel, Amsterdam.
kulbuntet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 08:53 AM   #6
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulbuntet
Hi Jean and all others,

I wonder what the measurements of the blade are, and were when it still had all its luks before reshaping.

The finished result is in my eyes pleasurable to see, and also for the washing result of the blade impressive. Did you get this in the first try? And what type of waragnan did you use?

Kind regards Michel, Amsterdam.
Hi Michel,
Thank you for your comments. The blade is 31.5 cm long excluding the pesi but it was probably about 38 cm originally and with 13 luks.
The warangan treatment was made in Solo and the craftsman uses an arsenic solution, not a paste.
Best regards
Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote