Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th December 2006, 12:43 PM   #1
AganBalang

Default My Parang Ilang ( Tungul ) collection

Hi there, My name is Agan and Im a Kelabit ( one of those exotic jungle tribes from the highlands of borneo ) living in Kuching, Malaysia. Recently I stumbled upon this site while looking up Parang Ilangs and I was quite suprised to see how many people abroad not only have blades like these but also know so much about them! Some of the blades ive seen here can match those in our state museum! Anyways i'd like to share my collection of parang Ilangs, or 'Tungul's , as they are known in kelabit, with you guys. Most of em are more for our traditional ceremonies and dances but i also have some which make more practical cutting tools. Hope to get some feedback from all you buffs on them.
Attached Images

AganBalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 04:14 PM   #2
VVV

Hi Agan,

Very nice collection from different tribes, thanks for sharing.
I haven't seen that many Kelabit Parang Ilang but if I remember correctly the hilts with the "nose" turning upwards are Kelabit, aren't they?
I have also read somewhere that Kelabit is the only tribe that sometimes use buffalo horn for the hilts of their Ilang/Tulung?
Is that correct?

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Henk

Agan,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your collection.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 04:59 AM   #4
AganBalang

VVV,

Admittedly, Im not really an expert on these parangs. As far as i know, Kelabit parang ilang are almost identical to kayan or kenyah parang ilangs and i havent seen any styles other than the ones i have. As for horn being used for the hilts, ive never actually seen that on Kelabit parang Ilang's but i do have a heavy duty work parang which has horn for the hilt. I doubt that it is kelabit though
AganBalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 08:19 PM   #5
VVV

Agan,

The reason I brought it up was that I have seen it on old Kelabit Parang Ilang. Also in one article it was referred to as an indication of Kelabit.
But I haven't seen enough of them myself to be really sure that it's always like that?
Maybe by mid 20th C the Parang Ilang more and more imitated Kenyah/Kayan ones and other tribal differences disappeared?

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote