Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 28th November 2007, 06:16 AM   #1
TVV

Default African spear, but from where exactly?

OK guys, I try to avoid buying things that I do not know, but every once in a while it happens, and I need your help.

I bought this spear initially thinking the crosses on its tip were a representation of the cross of Agadez, but the more I look at it, the more I think there is nothing Tuareg about it. The Tuareg ones I have seen are the whole made of iron, and the blade shape is different, not to mention their lower ends finish into a spatula, and this one has a spike. The length is 6'3", or 190 cm.

My best guess is Ethiopian of recent manufacture, but I cannot find anything in Spring to confirm it. So what do you say?

Thanks,

Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
I bought this spear initially thinking the crosses on its tip were a representation of the cross of Agadez, but the more I look at it, the more I think there is nothing Tuareg about it. r
you are correct, that cross has nothing from Agadez shape, the design is too clear to risk any misinterpretation

just a "track",
as basic rule, Muslims are repugnant to have any mark, design, form reminder for them a Christian sign

"you guess that should be Ethiopian may be of recent manufacture", it's a possibility, because that country has a very large Christian community since many century, but in Africa should not be the only one ....
but definitively very few chance from a country mainly muslim

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 03:42 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

ETHIOIAN POSSIBLY PRE WW2. IF IT IS ALL METAL WITH A SOCKET IT MAY BE A LANCE HEAD, THE PIERECED CROSS DESIGN IS COMMON ON THESE. SOME OF THE LANCE HEADS ARE VERY LONG I HAVE 2 AND BOTH ARE OVER 5 FOOT LONG. THE TWO I HAVE WERE FROM WW2 AND IT IS SAID THE ETHIOPIANS USED THEM AGAINST THE ITALIANS AND WOULD EVEN ATTACK TANKS WITH THEM "TO NO AVAIL" . THE USE OF DETACHABLE LANCE POINTS IS NOT UNUSUAL BUT SOME OF THESE FROM ETHIOPIA ARE THE LONGEST IN MY EXPERIENCE I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE TOTAL LEGNTH WOULD BE WITH THE WOODEN SHAFT. I JUST LOOKED AT YOUR POST AGAIN AND IF IT HAS A SPIKE AT THE OTHER END IT MAY BE A THROWING SPEAR AND NOT A LANCE HEAD ,CHECK THE BALANCE AND WEIGHT FOR THROWING.
THE TWO LANCE HEADS I HAVE CAN ALSO BE THROWN AS WELL AS MOUNTED ON A LANCE BUT WOULD BE FOR SHORT THROWS ONLY.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 06:19 AM   #4
TVV

Thumbs up

Dom and Barry, thank you very much!
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 03:22 PM   #5
roanoa

Hi. The spear is Ethiopian. I am very confused by what VANDOO about his Ethiopian spears. I'd like to see a picture posted. I have a feeling that the spears are actually Masai. NEVER seen or heard of Ethiopian spear heads being over 5 feet long.
roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote