Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th December 2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Drum like flyssa marking

Some years ago I encountered an unusual marking on a flyssa blade, which was an odd cylindrical, almost hourglass like shape, along with the more familiar geometrics and flourishes typically seen.

In recent reading, I came across this image of a 'talking drum' which is the type often used by 'griots' (essentially singer/poet/musician) and who served in a manner of minstrels or troubadiers recalling oral traditions. These figures were important in tribal cultures from regions in Mali, Chad, Niger to the west coast tribes . Apparantly they were closely associated with the warrior kings of these tribes.

I am wondering if any out there have encountered such a marking on either a flyssa blade, or any weapons or items from these regions.

Best regards,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Dom

every thing it's possible but;
- flissa it's a sword of Berbers from mountains of Kabylia, located in North of Algeria
- distances between Kabylia and Mali/Niger/Chad ... several thousands km
- in between, one of the largest worldwide desert
- Chad/Mali have their typically swords without similarity with flissa
taking in consideration; difference of ethnic, difference of language, remote locations,
made that theory could be aleatory
but ... it's just a point of view, not "the truth"
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Emanuel

Hi Jim, Dom,

The F word again

The darbuka drum is similar, and it is found in North Africa and throughtout the Middle East.
I will check my flyssas...

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 10:24 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks for answering Dom and Emanuel, and for the info.
In checking through some photos of flyssa hilts, and noticed that the triangular geometrics (as in the 'fibula' linear on the blade) are sometimes in the hourglass shape on the hilt in places.
As I recall, the shape of the figure on the example I refer to, was much more 'dimensional' and seemed to have lines through it or over it, resembling those on these hourglass shape pressure drums.

The vast distances through these desert regions are indeed formidable, and it is always amazing to look at the incredible trade networks that crisscross these regions. These are of course key in trying to follow some of the many weapon diffusions that present the complexities in understanding African arms. Naturally, rather than single trans Saharan journeys, the networking between various centers and interactions there, with materials and traded wares then following various routes resulted in these carried far and wide.

Factor in the nonspecific and ever changing boundaries of nomadic tribes, as well as interaction along these routes including raiding and more hospitable contact, the equation compounds dramatically

Dom, I never underestimate your very astute 'points of view'!!! and I am hoping that something similar with show up with the outstanding and comprehensive collections I know are out there with the Africa enthusiasts.

Emanuel, I always recall your keen interest in flyssas, and hoped you would come in on this.

Thanks so much guys!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 02:34 AM   #5
Emanuel

Hi Jim,

While gathering material on Kabylia and the Iflissen, I found these pictures of motifs used on traditional Kabyle pottery. Notice that one symbol, the double drum means "axe", while the double zigzaging lines could mean "arrow" or "mosquito". I will keep looking at the various symbols we sometimes see on flyssas.

Will you be at this year's Timonium?

All the best!
Emanuel
Attached Images

Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 10:06 PM   #6
tom hyle

I did not know about the use of talking drums by Afrasians (ex. Berbers), but among the Bantus (ie formerly "negroes") to their South/West talking drums and talking trumpets are traditionally very important royal/warfare tools for their instant communication power.
Flyssa per se is AFAIK a Kabyle tribe weapon, but a whole slew of awfully flyssa-like kodmes etc. ("wedding banquet nimchas") seem to be more widely distributed.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote