Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd May 2014, 11:38 PM   #31
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Now that we have mirrored this thread over from the ethnographic forum, to run concurrently we are hoping that the topic of these Cretan weapons might stir some interest here as well . The fact that these are peripherally European weapons as well as being part of the ethnographic sphere suggests that perhaps dual classification might bring more response .

We are hoping that other Cretan weapons might be entered here for comparison, while we look at the distinct features found on them .
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 09:48 AM   #32
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Nando, I had intended copy the thread link to the Euro forum yesterday, but completely forgot. :0

Will remedy that now.

A

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 02:53 PM   #33
Marcus den toom

A interesting pistol indeed, mainly because of the family history which allows us to date it. Without this information i would have guessed that this piece, eventhough the iron/silver (?) work is well made, is not older than 50+ years or so .
There is a rather lively market for pistols when offered to tourist and you see these products more than often.

This pistol however has quite a lot of original parts, like the lock, counterplate, screws etc. A better picture would be helpfull to determine if the stock and barrel are original to the complete piece as well (not trying to contradict the family history) since caution is even more important on these guns

I also want to point out that a close examination of the brass butstock end cap would be enlightening. The form is strange to me
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 02:13 PM   #34
Skarts_ss

Guys!!!Now i saw all these....sorry about not sending more pics. I think that the pistol is European and was sold in Crete during the revolutionary years. I have seen in other collections different pistols of Cretan origin that look like Ottoman to me...to tell the truth i have seen many weapons of different origins here in Crete. Thats why i posted these weapons, in order to find out the exact origin.
Skarts_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 02:42 PM   #35
Skarts_ss

How about these weapons?Photograph (black and white); cabinet card; portrait of a Cretan revolutionary chief he has a basalis (knife) and pistols tucked into his zounari, and a rifle in front of him leaning on the rocks; Crete, Greece.
Attached Images

Skarts_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 04:15 PM   #36
batjka

I would NOT want to mess with this guy. Thanks for sharing.
batjka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 12:25 AM   #37
E Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarts_ss
How about these weapons?Photograph (black and white); cabinet card; portrait of a Cretan revolutionary chief he has a basalis (knife) and pistols tucked into his zounari, and a rifle in front of him leaning on the rocks; Crete, Greece.
Do you happen to know anything about the etymology of the word basalis? Is it associated with social rank at all; does he carry that specifically because he is a chief, or would others carry a basalis as well?

I'm curious whether or not it comes from the same root as basileus, or if it's just the English transliterations that look similar?

OP: the Yatagan is gorgeous. Was it originally gilt? Do you know what the scabbard is made of? I can't quite tell from the image - it looks texturally like antler, but seems too large for that.
E Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 04:29 PM   #38
Andreas

[QUOTE=E Farrell]Do you happen to know anything about the etymology of the word basalis? Is it associated with social rank at all; does he carry that specifically because he is a chief, or would others carry a basalis as well?

I'm curious whether or not it comes from the same root as basileus, or if it's just the English transliterations that look similar?

Basalis (stress on last syllable) derives from the Turkish word baş, head, chief, especial and the meaning is a superior knife. Anyone could carry it.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote