Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 25th February 2012, 12:44 PM   #1
katana

Default A Warning about 'plug bayonets'

This recently ended on eBay.....

touted as a letter opener, a plug bayonet with what appears to be some age....however a quick google search revealed that this was a reproduction sold by various sources. I am not saying the seller was necessarily aware that this was a repro but the artifically aged look was probably deliberate and could mean more may found their way onto the market....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1208634099...84.m1438.l2649

PS although the item did not sell via ebay......the listing was ended as it was no longer available....usually this means it sold 'outside' ebay....I do hope a fellow formite has not ended up with this.

Kind Regards David

Pictures added for reference....the 'clean' example is obviously a 'new' one.
Attached Images

Last edited by katana; 25th February 2012 at 02:30 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 02:37 PM   #2
katana

It seems that the repro guard has been used on a similar bayonet ....interestingly the 'lot' was passed

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8233756
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi David,

Thank you so much for pointing out this bad trend of faking plug bayonets, it just had to be said!

Over the years, I have noticed remarkably many dubious - to say the least - samples of that group coming into the market, both the later, and more decorative kind used for hunting, and the earlier, plain 'military' late 17th c. types. Not only are they found in internet sales but also in established auction houses.

So we are well advised to keep our eyes open and at the same time train them on the 'real' stuff.

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 04:58 PM   #4
laEspadaAncha

Thanks, David... just going by the photos in the listing, I would have been hard-pressed to not take a chance on this piece if the price was right...

I guess in this case, forewarned is not to be fore armed?

I have seen the same thing at regional (auction) houses here, with newly made pieces having mountings switched in an attempt to hide the forged aging. Sadly, repro houses (e.g. a certain cutlery house that can be found in the home of the Braves) are more-or-less facilitating this, muddying the waters even worse by flooding the market with newly made (and reasonably authentic) "blank canvasses" on which forgers attempt to work their black magic.

Best,

Chris
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 10:34 PM   #5
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by laEspadaAncha
Thanks, David... just going by the photos in the listing, I would have been hard-pressed to not take a chance on this piece if the price was right...

I guess in this case, forewarned is not to be fore armed?

I have seen the same thing at regional (auction) houses here, with newly made pieces having mountings switched in an attempt to hide the forged aging. Sadly, repro houses (e.g. a certain cutlery house that can be found in the home of the Braves) are more-or-less facilitating this, muddying the waters even worse by flooding the market with newly made (and reasonably authentic) "blank canvasses" on which forgers attempt to work their black magic.

Best,

Chris

As Matchlock points out & Ive observed Even the top famous originaly just English based auction houses regularily sell miss identified pieces & down right fakes... After all there smallprint excuses such over sites.

Cheers for the heads up Katana

spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote