Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th October 2022, 02:56 AM   #1
ASPaulding

Default Hussar model 1777 French Mameluke??

I purchase this sword recently and have done a little research. The blade is from Klingenthal (blade valley). I think it is from the late 18th century. The hilt is Mameluke style but I don't know if it is from the same time line. There is some marks on the hilt but I can only make out a couple of numbers. I really want this to be from the Mamelukes of the Imperial Guard that served Napoleon but I have never seen a bronze cast hilt example like this one. Please give me your opinion. Thank you
Attached Images

ASPaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2022, 02:58 AM   #2
ASPaulding

A few more photos.
Attached Images

Old 27th October 2022, 07:14 AM   #3
Radboud

I’m not comfortable with the casting of the bronze grip. It’s too unrefined / unfinished for a French officer sabre or for the Imperial Guard. Looking at the langets, I have to wonder if the sword as mounted would even fit in a scabbard. It would be tight at the very least.

The blade is good, pre-1800 going by the writing style on the spine, which further casts into doubt that they are original to each other.
Radboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2022, 07:29 AM   #4
corrado26

The signature on both sides of the blade stands for "République Francaise" and for the time of the French Revolution, when the "Garde des Mamelucks" was still unknown. This is a privately ordered hussar sabre made at Klingenthal in about 1790 , it has nothing to do with the Mamelucks. .
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2022, 08:59 PM   #5
ASPaulding

Thank you very much for the information.
Old 2nd November 2022, 05:19 PM   #6
Dmitry

The hilt could be from a societal/masonic sword, or a Hungarian magnate sword, or from India. The casting isn't of terrible quality. Doesn't look like the hilt and the blade were mated recently, but I've been wrong before. I wonder how the hilt and the blade are held together. Be careful swinging the sword; the blade my come flying.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote