Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th March 2015, 12:58 PM   #1
Gehazi

Default unique blades

I would like to get some thoughts from everyone upon the probable construction and region of construction on this set of fighting blades, they are extremely well balanced and very light, one being about 2 ounces heavier and 1 inch longer than the other.

I love the look and the feel of these two blades and am actually having a modern smith make reproductions -- but I would really like to hear what everyone think's about the origin of these two strange blades.

I purchased from akaal arms, and he said as much as I have already-- these are pretty unique blades and we are mostly guessing about the origin. here are a few pictures, from the seller.

stated as Indic fighting swords dated to a possible 1906 because of coins set at the bottom of the grip.
Attached Images

Gehazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 01:45 PM   #2
Iain

Surprised nobody commented on this! Not my field but I'd like to see the thread get some attention. The rather obvious comparison that comes to mind is of course something dha related. A bit a Naga dao flavour thrown in as well. But that's just a comment from a complete layman when it comes to dha.

The chiselled effect at the base of the blades does remind me more of Indian work, while the handles seem solidly in the realm of SEA and dha like swords.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 02:20 PM   #3
trenchwarfare

I haven't commented, cuz I don't have a clue. They are absolutely beautiful. I agree, they have a Dhaish appearance. With a touch of Kora.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 02:42 PM   #4
Iain

Just going with a pure guess and because of the diversity the region seems to hold, perhaps these could be from the Arunachal Pradesh area?

Most likely I am completely off by a thousand miles.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 05:38 PM   #5
Gehazi

the resemblance to both the kora blade and naga blades was noticed ; I am glad others agree! the venerable seller placed them as resembling the kora and as soon as I saw them I thought they were akin to a naga dha.

I definitely agree on SEA, will do research on your suggestion of area, I feel like they were certainly a pair, I can hope there is a people associated with this style, but it almost seems like a person just had them made, perhaps just in a moment of inspiration.

either way I agree with both of you that these are simply enchanting blades, curious what kind of scabbard you think was utilized? if it was more the open side "backsword" style we could place them as more akin to the naga/ kachin style blades. the wide tip almost eliminates other kinds of scabbard in my mind, but am just a collector not as well read as I would like

thanks for comments!
Old 10th March 2015, 11:49 PM   #6
Sajen

I am with Trenchwarfare, I don't have a clue but this is a very nice pair. Vietnam (?) maybe. What is the used material for the handle butt?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 05:24 AM   #7
Gehazi

it is bone I think, the wood looks like a nice rosewood or it is just stained reddish brown-- all the fittings are still good
Old 23rd March 2015, 02:01 PM   #8
rand

The work at the forte of he blade seems similar to that on Ayhuda kati from Coorg.

http://akaalarms.com/sold-coorg-ayda...dia-ref-10196/

Link is from Akaal arms.....
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 10:52 PM   #9
spiral

I see the bolster/blade junction style likeness to Corg otherwise but to me look 100% sacrificial from Bengal...
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote