Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd February 2010, 06:00 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Thumbs up Shashka translation please.

Another piece from my personal collections, a nice pre revolution? Dagestani Shashka? Perhaps Chechen?

The blade has all the qualities Isa Askhabov notes, being feather light, vine flexible and razor sharp. I can easily get 40cms of flex out of the blade.

I hope those versed in other toungues, could please help with a translation of script found on the back of this Shashka throat fitting.

Complete sword images to follow when better lighting becomes available, for now though, these should suffice to offer a better point of origin if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Gav
Attached Images

Last edited by freebooter; 22nd February 2010 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Additions
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 06:22 AM   #2
ward

Interesting its Daghestan (Kubachi) work but signed work of Kuru or something like that.
But it also says Erzerum (Turkish city) and the hallmarks are Ottoman not Russian.
If you dont want to get surprised I wouldnt be flexing that blade any 40 degrees either not even 10
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 07:24 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default Interesting aspects.

Thank you and interesting as you note Ward. The details you provide offer some intrigue to the origins of how it all came to be.

Can you be more specific as to the maker/origins of the hallmark despite the distortion?

I'll be careful too but the 80cms blade is supple where the Central Asian Shashka I have with the trade blade is rigid....

In support of what you have offered, the round hallmark I thought was Ottoman when comparing those in Emma Asvatsaturyan's work, though comparing line drawings and a slightly distorted stamp is difficult and most she presents would predate this sword.

These points that you note about the city, signature and hallmarks all point to Turkey and would be more consistant with placing this Shashka in Turkish borders rather than Degestan.

Ponderous though, the Kubachi work of Dagestan seems prominent through out...do the motifs within the chased design and those floral designs to the rear support each other as Dagestan?

Could the marks read Kuru of Erzerum, perhaps being a craftsman who moved his trade to the Degastan regions......

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 22nd February 2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Removing religious conversation
Old 22nd February 2010, 07:57 PM   #4
ward

Get somebody out here who speaks Turkish to be sure but if it was of Erzerum it would be spelled different. This just reads Erzerum.

Its Dagestan work for sure maybe made in Turkey but probably not, I think made up in Caucausus with the Turkish name and city just added later. Silvermakrs were probaly done when it was brought to Turkey.Simplest solution is usually the right one. Check with a Turkish speaking guy tho
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:03 PM   #5
ariel

I have my qualms
First, I'd like to see the entire shashka: are the rings on the concave or the convex side of the scabbard? I.e., was it assembled as a shashka or as a saber?
Second, the use of velvet is not typical for Caucasian weapons. Kindjals,- occasionally, but not shashkas.
Third, the upper scabbard fitting is strange: half Kubachi, half plain silver ( Turkish fashion). I have a suspicion that the front panel with Kubachi work was cut off the original and attached to a new base.
Fourth, while I cannot see well the details on the photo, there seems to be a subtle difference in the ornamentation of the handle vs. scabbard. The idea is the same which is not surprising, since the patterns were quite formalized. But the tendrils on the scabbard are more delicate and better executed.
I think, you get my drift....
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 01:19 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Default Interesting ..

I too have a few tiny qualms about certain aspects mainly the velvet over the original scabbard timbers and a couple of other small points of interest.

It is most certainly not the first Shashka that I have seen with velvet though, some have been replacements as I know this one is, others have looked to have genuine age and wear of near 100 years. Although replaced it too does show good age and is expertly done and fitted, the entire folded and stitched seam to the rear sits within the grooved scabbard timber and is drawn very tight and follows the curves and rise to the throat perfectly.

Secondly the Shashka was mounted in European style when I received it, the central fittings only being placed "upside down" to the inside of the curve, the decoration on the throat and drag being originally as they are now. Although this style of mounting not unheard of as seen in Millers and other places, showing a number of Dagestan Shashkas being mounted in this manner, my immeadiate thoughts were that having the two suspension fittings like this meant it would be in sabre style and it would be mounted only to the right side of an individual for a left hander. Knowing the velvet is a 1960's replacement I though that perhaps the chap carrying out the task in Italy did not note how it came apart and put it back together in the European style.....
I spent well over an hours moving these fittings as they are super tight, milimetre by milimetre I moved each fitting with great effort to present them how I think they should really be. Of cource, if there is a genuine plausible explanation as to why they should be left in Europoean style I am all ears but generally speaking this sits better with me now.

I'll gather some images of the hilt and fittings side by side after I clean some of the highlights on the hilt. Currently the hilt looks darker where silver should shine, this will show the same workmanship throughout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Third, the upper scabbard fitting is strange: half Kubachi, half plain silver ( Turkish fashion). I have a suspicion that the front panel with Kubachi work was cut off the original and attached to a new base.
With regards to this, anything is possible in the world, when you compare the suspenion image to the throat image there is a difference to the finish but the drag is the same construction as the throat...perhaps the suspension fitting was finished in this manner of overlap to better support the sword, if it was not, the fitting may tear... Could you please present images or references about this statement for my further study on this sword for forward them by PM or email.

The hallmarks still fasinate me as does the script. There must be someone here who can read the script fully to place it in better context and likewise the hallmark. Ward has made a great start where I could not...any takers?

Thanks

Gav
Attached Images

Last edited by freebooter; 23rd February 2010 at 03:50 AM.
Old 23rd February 2010, 03:44 PM   #7
Zifir

hi,
ward is right, the first word is erzurum, the second line is Amel-i Kevork (swordmaker Kevork) Maybe I misspelled it but it's an Armenian name for sure.

Last edited by Zifir; 23rd February 2010 at 04:22 PM.
Zifir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 10:19 AM   #8
Gavin Nugent

Default Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zifir
hi,
ward is right, the first word is erzurum, the second line is Amel-i Kevork (swordmaker Kevork) Maybe I misspelled it but it's an Armenian name for sure.
Ward, Zifhir,

I am very grateful for the translation.

This certainly raises a few more questions, especially the Armenian context as the blade shows etching to the forte that I have seen specifically on Armenian knives....this translation conclusion makes me think a lot more about what I have here and more so how it all came to be historically, further insight is appreciated.

I may also explore the content I removed in post number 3, this was based around Armenian Shashka embellishment being similar to Dagestan...can't remember where I read it off the top of my head...
It was also about the name Erzurum and despite the treaties in place within Erzurum and the city being very diverse in culture, how Christian and Muslim craftsmen interacted in instances such as this instance appears to be, more so during the later age that this Shashka appears to be of....or for the uninitiated like me... was this of no concern to many despite certain instances pre 1900, I ask as I beleive this piece is approx 1910???
There are some sensitive aspects to this side of investigation so I will tread cautiously and where other threads have gone astray, ask those conributing to just consider the sword and aspects attached to it, not specific events to err on the side of sensitivity..

Lots of questions I know but Shashka really are not being explored within these pages very often I think it would be interesting to note some of this "cross pollenation" as I do not speak the tongue or even know to any extent the of written languages across these regions...this is proving to be interesting.

I have again been reading Miller's book and clearly see on page 237, figure 151 a Dagestan Shashka with the same coloured velvet, certainly another aspect to ponder...Was this one recovered in direct style and materail found originally on this Shashka??? Maybe???

I'll get those better images to compare stortly too.

Best regards guys

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 24th February 2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:15 PM   #9
Gavin Nugent

Default Thoughts and observations welcome :-)

Images as promised.

To me there is no differences in the fittings style or quality, I am happy to discuss this though.

Thoughts and observations welcome as are any ponderous thoughts, speculations or qualms.

Gav
Attached Images

Old 2nd March 2010, 11:14 AM   #10
Gavin Nugent

Default Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I have my qualms
First, I'd like to see the entire shashka: are the rings on the concave or the convex side of the scabbard? I.e., was it assembled as a shashka or as a saber?
Second, the use of velvet is not typical for Caucasian weapons. Kindjals,- occasionally, but not shashkas.
Fourth, while I cannot see well the details on the photo, there seems to be a subtle difference in the ornamentation of the handle vs. scabbard. The idea is the same which is not surprising, since the patterns were quite formalized. But the tendrils on the scabbard are more delicate and better executed.
I think, you get my drift....
Ariel, any further input further to these comments? I know these weapons are a passion of yours...I thought you might have followed up sooner.

Based on these comments above and other information Zifir was kind enough to support and elaborate with on Ward's initial translation, I am looking at options of how it came to be...though there are many possibilities.

To me, it is safe to say a Dagestan Shashka, made by or at least the silverwork made by an Armenian sword maker named Kevork in, though possibly just from Erzurum. Most likely fully assembled by Kevork or even modified as Ariel suggests is possible without further feedback on the images supplied...but with the text "sword maker" accompanying his name I think it could safely be said he assembled the sword.

Based on the high probability of the sword maker being Armenian, to me this would support the blade that also appears to be Armenian in manufacture being used in its construction.

For those knowing the geographical trade routes and boundries of the region this sword has come from, do you think Kevork was making his living in Erzurum and exporting to Dagestan or perhaps in Tiflis whilst noting his name and place of birth in the signiture and exporting to Dagestan as many Shashka were or perhaps others ideas on the matter...I look forward to hearing them.

Thoughts and further input welcome on these seldom discussed weapons.

Gav
Old 3rd March 2010, 03:55 AM   #11
ariel

The new pics are good.
Now... I like it! Enjoy and remember me if you ever want to swap it for something close to your heart:-)
Old 3rd March 2010, 06:27 AM   #12
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Ariel

Thanks Ariel,

I'll keep the offer in mind...stranger things have happened.

Would you agree the blade is also of Armenian manufacture?

Gav
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:33 PM   #13
ariel

Here we are on thin grounds: the inscription is on the throat silver fitting. Blades and fittings were usually made in different places. The most famous split is between Amuzgi ( blades) and Kubachi ( mountings), but there were dozens potential combinations and permutations. After the Russian conquest of the Caucasus, weaponmaking became decorative rather than practical, and was concentrated in the cities,- Tiflis, Vladikavkaz etc. Workshops were established, and individual masters from all over were employed. Traditions became mixed, and it is no longer possible to define something as "Avar work", for example, because one could order any style from the same workshop or even individual master.

Keurk is an Armenian name, but Armenians were the main workforce in the new tourist industry, and there must have been dozens of them. Blades were remounted or made anew from the newly-available spring steel, although owners like Zinaida Koshtoyanz stubbornly employed blades made by a Chechen master Chilla.

Same places made silver trinkets, like cigarette holders, tea glass holders, drinking horns, studs etc. Everybody in Russia wanted something "Caucasian", and the inherently-Oriental marrket responded to the demand with enthusiasm. Imperial Russia conquered the Caucasus, but the Caucasus conquered Russian imagination.

All in all, anything after ~1870 became a tourist item.
Old 13th March 2010, 03:46 AM   #14
CHILLA

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Ward, Zifhir,

I am very grateful for the translation.

This certainly raises a few more questions, especially the Armenian context as the blade shows etching to the forte that I have seen specifically on Armenian knives....this translation conclusion makes me think a lot more about what I have here and more so how it all came to be historically, further insight is appreciated.

I may also explore the content I removed in post number 3, this was based around Armenian Shashka embellishment being similar to Dagestan...can't remember where I read it off the top of my head...
It was also about the name Erzurum and despite the treaties in place within Erzurum and the city being very diverse in culture, how Christian and Muslim craftsmen interacted in instances such as this instance appears to be, more so during the later age that this Shashka appears to be of....or for the uninitiated like me... was this of no concern to many despite certain instances pre 1900, I ask as I beleive this piece is approx 1910???
There are some sensitive aspects to this side of investigation so I will tread cautiously and where other threads have gone astray, ask those conributing to just consider the sword and aspects attached to it, not specific events to err on the side of sensitivity..

Lots of questions I know but Shashka really are not being explored within these pages very often I think it would be interesting to note some of this "cross pollenation" as I do not speak the tongue or even know to any extent the of written languages across these regions...this is proving to be interesting.

I have again been reading Miller's book and clearly see on page 237, figure 151 a Dagestan Shashka with the same coloured velvet, certainly another aspect to ponder...Was this one recovered in direct style and materail found originally on this Shashka??? Maybe???

I'll get those better images to compare stortly too.

Best regards guys

Gav

Hi,

With all my respects for all comments, I should say that the script in Arab we should read as: AMAL KURU ,ERDURUM! So it couldn't be KEURK or KEVORK ,Bcause of age,this shashka was made from 1900-1917 and for sure in Wladikavkaz by Dagestanian maker,but the blade Could be Chechen also.

Thank you !)
CHILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 09:31 PM   #15
Zifir

Hi,
I must respectfully insist that my reading of the script is correct. The word after amal is (kef-ye-vav-re-kaf) كيورق which can be read as Kevork. That word cannot be read as Kuru for several reasons. Firstly, in Ottoman Turkish grammar there is a rule, "thick" wovels are used with "thick" consonants. Since U is a thick wovel, it should be used with a thick consonant kaf ق not with kef ك . Thus, kuru should have been written as قورو Secondly, in all the scripts the word amal (made by) is followed by swordmaker's name, not by a place name or an adjective such as kuru (by the way, kuru means "dry"). Finally and most importantly, there is a ye ي after kef ك and there is a kaf ق at the end of the word. The reason why some people mistake it for vav و is that in hand writing sometimes a litte tail is added at the end of the letter instead of putting two dots at the top!

I am not an expert in workmanship or material of swords. I also know that a script is only a script, it can be tempered, it may lie, it might be added later. But I think guessing scripts from the workmanship might be somehow a problematic method.

cheers,
Zifir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 03:12 AM   #16
ward

Im betting Zifir is a native speaker I said get his opinion at the beginning. The name doesn't matter it could be added later. Chilla is right its Daghestan work for sure. Velvet sure doesn't matter its probably been replaced twice anyway.
The work and the blade are not Armnenian and not Turkish that is for sure. I think its important to look at what cant be changed in this situation not what can
Old 14th March 2010, 08:12 PM   #17
CHILLA

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zifir
Hi,
I must respectfully insist that my reading of the script is correct. The word after amal is (kef-ye-vav-re-kaf) كيورق which can be read as Kevork. That word cannot be read as Kuru for several reasons. Firstly, in Ottoman Turkish grammar there is a rule, "thick" wovels are used with "thick" consonants. Since U is a thick wovel, it should be used with a thick consonant kaf ق not with kef ك . Thus, kuru should have been written as قورو Secondly, in all the scripts the word amal (made by) is followed by swordmaker's name, not by a place name or an adjective such as kuru (by the way, kuru means "dry"). Finally and most importantly, there is a ye ي after kef ك and there is a kaf ق at the end of the word. The reason why some people mistake it for vav و is that in hand writing sometimes a litte tail is added at the end of the letter instead of putting two dots at the top!

I am not an expert in workmanship or material of swords. I also know that a script is only a script, it can be tempered, it may lie, it might be added later. But I think guessing scripts from the workmanship might be somehow a problematic method.

cheers,

Dear Zifir ,

Thank you for your grammar lesson! But I said only ,what is written on the silver mount. If we speak about Geurk Eliarov he was very Famous as Sword maker ,here we can see the script only on the mount and with all my repspect it is KURU قورو not كيورق and i should say that we discuss about Caucasian Item,not OTTOMAN-TURKISH ,not ARAB, and of corse translation of Turkish language or arab language couldn't be use for the NAME ,Bcause the NAME KURU is Caucasian name and regionally we can say from DAGHESTAN .If you still insist that is "DRY" ,so I can say that in Chechnya and Dagestan we have the Names like :SAID (transl. Happy), ASHAB,SAHAB or MUSLIM etc. If we read AMAL MUSLIM or AMAL ASHAB, we shoud translate only AMAL (made) by MUSLIM .Of corse it was very usefull to write in ARABIC language like amal KEURK,amal SAID-ALI etc.
So thank you again. My opinion the same is KURU and the mounts was made by Dagestanian maker ,about the sword for the moment we can only guess from which area of Caucasus is it.

Best regards,
Chilla
CHILLA is offline   Reply With Quote