Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 24th April 2012, 05:40 AM   #1
HangPC2

Default Keris Sheikh Ahmad Qomi

Keris Sheikh Ahmad Qomi

Sheikh Ahmad Qomi (1543-1631)

Sheikh Ahmad Qomi, was an Iranian expatriate who lived in Thailand for 26 years. He was a merchant, a religious figure and the architect of cultural relations between Persian And Siam. He was also one of the pioneers of promoting Islam in East Asia.

Sheikh Qomi was born in Iranian holy city of Qom in 1543 and moved to Bangkok in 1605 at the age of 62. He lived in Siam for 26 years until his death. He was trusted in Siam royal court and undertook top positions in government hierarchy of Siam thanks to his insight and intellect.

HangPC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 12:49 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Where and from when does this illustration originate?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Sajen

Very interesting! I have the same quetion like David.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 12:46 PM   #4
HangPC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Where and from when does this illustration originate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Very interesting! I have the same quetion like David.

Regards,

Detlef

The Bunnag Lineage Club

http://www.bunnag.in.th/english/history_05.html
HangPC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 02:51 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Sorry, i guess i wasn't clear enough and i am afraid you have misinterpreted my question. I don't want to know where you sourced the image from. I want to know what the source of the image itself is. In other words, when was the image created and where. In the smaller overall image it appears to be a door of some sort (it looks like there is a ring as a for handle half way down on the left) or the lid of a box.
I want to know when and where this image was created because i think it is fair to assume that the closer to the actual time of of this Sheik's life it was made, the more likely it is to be an accurate depiction of the form of his actual keris.
Old 29th April 2012, 05:10 PM   #6
PenangsangII

with this article and painted image, I cannot help but wondering whether Siam (Ayothya) was actually a muslim state...?
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Gustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
with this article and painted image, I cannot help but wondering whether Siam (Ayothya) was actually a muslim state...?
Yes, and this was one of its main mosques.
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:10 AM   #8
Nathaniel

Quote:
Sorry, i guess i wasn't clear enough and i am afraid you have misinterpreted my question. I don't want to know where you sourced the image from. I want to know what the source of the image itself is. In other words, when was the image created and where. In the smaller overall image it appears to be a door of some sort (it looks like there is a ring as a for handle half way down on the left) or the lid of a box.
I want to know when and where this image was created because i think it is fair to assume that the closer to the actual time of of this Sheik's life it was made, the more likely it is to be an accurate depiction of the form of his actual keris.
Yes, I agree with David...the painting is on a door...a double door....to a Buddhist temple. I'm curious to know which Wat. I think the figure is painted to show the diversity of individuals/ groups in Ayutthaya/ early Rattanakosin period. I doubt you will be able to find out when that particular mural is done...but you might. I'm guessing this is a more recent mural...ie 1900's+

This could not be from a door of a Thai Mosque. You will not find human images depicted in the Mosque.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:28 AM   #9
Nathaniel

And I think you guys might have your names mixed up...you mean Ayutthaya Kingdom before they where sacked by the Burmese twice in the 1700s. Sukhothai Kingdom never sacked Ayutthaya. Sukhothai however was on the decline and incorporated into Ayutthaya at tributary state in the late 1300's.

Last edited by Nathaniel; 3rd May 2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 3rd May 2012, 04:16 AM   #10
Nathaniel

Quote:
I was just told this door painting comes from Wat Somanat Wihan in Bangkok.

http://www.watsomanas.com/eng/history.php

"Wat Somanas Vihara is a second grade royel monastery. It was established by King Rama IV (who was a monk for 27 years before he ascended the Throne) in 1853 in memory of Her Royel Highness Princess Somanasvatanavadee, His first beloved Queen (Her Royal Highness Princess Somanasvatanavadee was born on Sunday, December 12, 1834, married in 1851 and passed away in 1852)."

There is a book on this temple's murals:

Temple Mural Paintings at Wat Somanat Wihan
Hard Cover
Large Format
Muang Boran
1995 Bangkok
116 pages
ISBN 9748235645

Last edited by Nathaniel; 3rd May 2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:03 AM   #11
David
Keris forum moderator

Nice research Nathaniel, thank you...
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:57 AM   #12
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangPC2
Interesting website, HangPC2.

Also this article is good from Thammsat University.

http://seap.einaudi.cornell.edu/syst...imThailand.pdf

Last edited by Nathaniel; 3rd May 2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:54 AM   #13
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangPC2
Keris Sheikh Ahmad Qomi

Sheikh Ahmad Qomi (1543-1631)

Sheikh Ahmad Qomi, was an Iranian expatriate who lived in Thailand for 26 years. He was a merchant, a religious figure and the architect of cultural relations between Persian And Siam. He was also one of the pioneers of promoting Islam in East Asia.

Sheikh Qomi was born in Iranian holy city of Qom in 1543 and moved to Bangkok in 1605 at the age of 62. He lived in Siam for 26 years until his death. He was trusted in Siam royal court and undertook top positions in government hierarchy of Siam thanks to his insight and intellect.

HangPC2,

Thank you for the interesting information about Sheikh Qomi. Coming from Iran, it is interesting that he is pictured with a kris?!? At age of 62 + coming from Iran you think he would have something more like a Jambiya at his belt. I know the influence of the Krit came more from Malay.

Last edited by Nathaniel; 3rd May 2012 at 04:05 AM.