Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th September 2022, 12:12 AM   #1
h0ll0wman

Default An old plamingko

I recently acquired this beautiful piece. The fittings on the scabbard and hilt seems to be brass and aluminum.
Attached Images

h0ll0wman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2022, 02:26 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Very nice with aluminum(?) mounts. The head could be that of Bakunawa from the Visayas. Post WW2 looks like.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2022, 03:57 AM   #3
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara View Post
Very nice with aluminum(?) mounts. The head could be that of Bakunawa from the Visayas. Post WW2 looks like.
I'm just curious- since it has brass, could it possibly be pre-war? I've noticed that the WW2/immediately postWW2 Panay pieces only have aluminum fittings (no brass parts anymore). Level of detail might also correspond to prewar.

Just a thought, though, am no Panay expert- always looking forward to learn more!
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2022, 06:46 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

I guess the question is are the white metal parts aluminum or silver or nickel-copper alloy? They look aluminum to me and this wasn't in ample supply until WW2. Brass/bronze has always been available. So a testing of the metal would be the only way to be 100% sure of silver content or not.
Old 17th September 2022, 02:18 PM   #5
h0ll0wman

Quote:
I guess the question is are the white metal parts aluminum or silver or nickel-copper alloy? They look aluminum to me and this wasn't in ample supply until WW2. Brass/bronze has always been available. So a testing of the metal would be the only way to be 100% sure of silver content or not.
It feels and look aluminum to me. Is there a simple way to test the metal fittings? Regarding the silver content.
Old 17th September 2022, 05:28 PM   #6
kino

Nice find, hollowman.
Judging by the amount of aluminum vs brass used, maybe it wasn’t readily available or possibly a post-WWII addition / replacement.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2022, 09:19 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Kino has a point. Might be earlier with latter additions. They are nicely done in any case.
Old 18th September 2022, 03:16 AM   #8
h0ll0wman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino View Post
Nice find, hollowman.
Judging by the amount of aluminum vs brass used, maybe it wasn’t readily available or possibly a post-WWII addition / replacement.
interesting information. thank you sir.
Old 18th September 2022, 03:17 AM   #9
h0ll0wman

Quote:
Kino has a point. Might be earlier with latter additions. They are nicely done in any case.
I appreciate all your inputs Battara.
Old 18th September 2022, 02:51 PM   #10
kronckew

Don't forget, up till 1886, when, with the availability of cheap electric power, they invented the electrical processing of alumina into aluminium, it was a rare and precious metal and only used for decorative embellishments like this Knife & scabbard.

Aluminium did exist and was used much earlier than y'all think. I hear a cutler made a dinner setting for a King about 1825 with aluminium handles.

Aluminium was certainly available and used in the late 19c., and readily available pre WW1 for structural military use - when they used it to build airships - Zeppelins - to bomb London. Duralumin alloy used in airships was invented in Germany in 1909 and was a state secret for a while. But that's another story.

Use of easily salvaged aluminium from WW2 aircraft wrecks, of course, expanded greatly during/after WW2 in the far east.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote