Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th September 2022, 01:51 PM   #1
Orang Lama

Default A keris for comment

Hi,

I'm new, and I just thought I'd share some items from my collection. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this keris esp. in terms of dapur and pamor (which is something I'm still trying to familiarise myself with). It's dressed in fairly typical "dance keris" fashion, so I decided to just put up pictures of the blade. My apologies in advance for the low image quality.
Attached Images

Orang Lama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2022, 03:01 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Greeting Orang Lama and welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Maritimer here (i live in Nova Scotia ).
I suspect your keris might be more likely from Lombok rather than Bali. Firstly it has a rough topography, rather than the polished treatment most Bali blades received, but certain features like the gonjo don't seem quite fully in Bali form, but that might just be due to erosion. I am also not used to seeing Bali kembang kacang actually touching the gandik as it does in your keris, and i usually expect to see jenggot with ron dha on top of the kembang kacang when greneng is present on a Bali keris, but that also might be gone due to erosion.
We often see older blades like this in "dance dress". I think that perhaps before they began making those awful fake pamor blades they filled this tourist dress form with old unwanted blades. Not that this is a terrible keris. I actually quite like it. It is a 13 luk blade and i think the pamor is a standard wos wutah.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2022, 03:18 PM   #3
Interested Party

Welcome to the forum. If you resize the height of the picture to 700 pixels before you upload it to the site, the whole blade will fit on the screen at once. I am looking forward to seeing more of your collection.
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2022, 04:45 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
Welcome to the forum. If you resize the height of the picture to 700 pixels before you upload it to the site, the whole blade will fit on the screen at once. I am looking forward to seeing more of your collection.
Just a heads up IP. You can easily zoom out your screen a bit if you want to see the entire length of blade in the verticals on your screen without scrolling. I am more concerned if if the horizontals don't fit the screen. With the larger files we can at least get better resolution for making our assessments.
Old 13th September 2022, 05:36 PM   #5
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Just a heads up IP. You can easily zoom out your screen a bit if you want to see the entire length of blade in the verticals on your screen without scrolling. I am more concerned if if the horizontals don't fit the screen. With the larger files we can at least get better resolution for making our assessments.
Thanks David. Good advice from the voice of experience. If I remember correctly visual arts are your specialty? I like to post a first picture as an overview. then the high-resolution shots after the initial hook. I do not believe that most users will take the time to zoom out to 50% to get that overview. although I know we have several dedicated users who do this and MUCH more. Of course, for me, this is seen through the filter of having spent a lot of my time at work trying to find ways for people to absorb information in more effective ways, especially younger ones. It has become kind of an obsession formed by existential threats

What is the maximum width the screen can hold?
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2022, 06:21 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
What is the maximum width the screen can hold?
I believe it is 1280. At least that is what is suggested for maximum upload.