Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th May 2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Antonio Cejunior

Default Information on a very special dha (to me)

Greetings everyone,

Please allow me to say that I'm too old to be a fan of movie swords. Well, I don't think it is a matter of age, but more of direction or preference.

However I was very touched by this short Dha

From Anna and the King

I was very impressed with it when I saw the movie back in 1999 and I was hit really strong when I found out that the movie was released on the day of my birthday. I have been looking in silence for 8 years for a dha like this and have lost the large pictures of it.

Can anyone of you gentlemen point me out an accurate description of such silver mountings and the approximate length of the blade?

This is one set that hit me very much aesthetically.
Never mentioned it before

Many thanks
Antonio Cejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Mark

Antonio,

That is one of the Shan, or Tai Yuan ("northern" Tai) styles, and I would say that it is a bit humble to be carried by the king (as beautiful as it is - the king's swords were really over the top).

There are several on my DRI site, and we had a few in the HOS exhibition (##246-252). The length is generally around 24 inches (about 60 cm), though versions can go all the way up to 36 or more (those are the ones with big pommels, though, like HOS ##251 & 252). The mountings are of a thin silver sheet over wood, in this case with some exposed wood, probably lacquered, in the mid-part of the scabbard. The big ones with pommels tend to be completely covered with silver, though I have one with the exposed wood. There is a section of sheet at the throat of the scabbard, with either a straight base edge, or a "scolloped" one such as is visible in the photo on the toe section. There is another section at the toe/chape of the scabbard. The mid section is either bound with bands of silver, or has another wide section mirroring the other two in design. The wide sections are almost always decorated in scrolled designs made of twisted wire and little round beads, sometimes incorporating flowers.

The blade is without ferrule, and generally with a rounded spine. The tip can be in a number of forms, but I have most commonly seen upswept tips.

The grip will have a silver pommel cap, usually a bit flared, and usually decorated on the flat part with wire designs similar to those on the scabbard. The ferrule is wide (3-4 cm), flaring toward the blade but with straight lines (like a cone rather than a bell), either smooth or facetted. The ferrule will have one or more decorative bands of twisted silver wire in different designs. The central part of the grip is usually wrapped in rings of braided or twisted rattan, sometimes coated with lacquer. The big ones generally have wire mesh, but I have one with rattan.

Now I need to go rent that DVD ...
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 09:13 PM   #3
~Alaung_Hpaya~

From what I can see it looks like a cross between 246 and 252 in HOS catalogue.

He seems to be carrying a fairly contemporary looking Thai daab in this poster

~Alaung_Hpaya~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 11:44 PM   #4
Antonio Cejunior

Mark,

Many thanks, my friend.

I find it closer to HOS #249

I can imagine a King's sword would be much richer, but having the information that it is a Shan style...

Hmmm I wonder if Serge at CoZun would be able to have such piece done. What do you think?
I like the fish tail scabbard end cap as in #250.

Thank you too Alaung
Old 4th June 2007, 06:49 PM   #5
cozun

Default Replicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Cejunior
Mark,

Many thanks, my friend.

I find it closer to HOS #249

I can imagine a King's sword would be much richer, but having the information that it is a Shan style...

Hmmm I wonder if Serge at CoZun would be able to have such piece done. What do you think?
I like the fish tail scabbard end cap as in #250.

Thank you too Alaung
Hi Antonio,

you potential inquiry is noted, I'll ask in the coming days what is feasible, yet believe it should be possible to craft/replicate.

From the attached pictures to your post, I also noticed I won't have yellow baldric to offer. Oh well, perhaps later in the year then.

Greetings,
Serge.
cozun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 12:21 AM   #6
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozun
Hi Antonio,

you potential inquiry is noted, I'll ask in the coming days what is feasible, yet believe it should be possible to craft/replicate.

From the attached pictures to your post, I also noticed I won't have yellow baldric to offer. Oh well, perhaps later in the year then.

Greetings,
Serge.
Hi Serge,

Good to hear from you. I would eventually would not have the baldric, or at least could do with another color.
Old 5th June 2007, 03:36 AM   #7
Jason Anstey

Hi Antonio,

No 249 is one I purchased from Mark (thanks Mark!), the scabbard and sword are currently with Serge to get the scabbard wood replace due to damage. I suppose this would be an ideal opportunity to contact Serge if you wanted to get a replica made with the original being in his posession.

The original scabbard is similar in shape to the one in the picture with "the king" although a bit less silver.

Cheers

Jason[IMG][/IMG]
Jason Anstey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 03:46 AM   #8
Antonio Cejunior

Thanks Jason,

I'm sure Serge will note this.
Kuddos on the purchase