Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 12th July 2008, 06:38 PM   #1
sjors

Default information about this prabot, please

I recently got this Solokeris, it was in a (very) poor condition (very rusty, paint, bended, you name it) so I'm still working on it.
I tried to get more information about its prabot but I failed.
So please, are you able to help me? I know I've seen a similar prabot before but I don't know where...

Thanks, Sjors
Attached Images

sjors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Henk

I think this dapur is Tilam upih.
You did a nice job on restoring it.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 09:15 PM   #3
kai

Hello Sjors,

I assume you mean the comma-like feature, the tikel alis? It usually is executed less crisp and narrow but in Sumatran blades (keris bahari or keris panjang) you can find it even more pronounced and condensed.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 09:40 PM   #4
sjors

Quote:
I assume you mean the comma-like feature
You're right, that was what I was talking about...
Thanks for your help!
Old 12th July 2008, 11:23 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

In respect of Javanese keris we normally use the word "prabot" to refer to the things that make a keris complete, such as the warangka, jejeran, mendhak, etc.

Some people do use the word "prabot" to refer to the features of a blade, but I have never met one of these people, and everybody I know uses the word "ricikan" to refer to the features of a keris blade.

The word "prabot" in its everyday sense means "tools, utensils, equipment" etc (it has other meanings as well, but they are not relevant here).

For instance, you can have "prabot pawon":- kitchen utensils.

The word "ricikan" comes from "ricik", to divide up. "Ricikan" means "extra or additional parts" it can also mean "requirements".

It can be easily seen that ricikan is the correct, and more appropriate word to use to refer to the features of a keris blade. These features are not "tools, utensils, equipment", but are "additional parts", or "requirements", in the sense of a specific requirement to satisfy a particular dhapur.

The word "alis" means "eye brow", and "tikel" means "a lot bigger". Some people will call the tikel alis by the name "widheng"; to me, this does not make sense, because a "widheng" is a kind of crab. If they used "lung widheng", the same as the mendhak motif, it would make more sense, but they don't, just widheng:- river crab.("lung" means "tendril").

A tikel alis that continues through to the front of the gandhik is normally taken to be an older style.

Some people will give sub-categories of tikel alis according to form, but there does not seem to be much consistency in these sub-classifications.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 02:37 AM   #6
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
In respect of Javanese keris we normally use the word "prabot" to refer to the things that make a keris complete, such as the warangka, jejeran, mendhak, etc.

Some people do use the word "prabot" to refer to the features of a blade, but I have never met one of these people, and everybody I know uses the word "ricikan" to refer to the features of a keris blade.

The word "prabot" in its everyday sense means "tools, utensils, equipment" etc (it has other meanings as well, but they are not relevant here).

The word "ricikan" comes from "ricik", to divide up. "Ricikan" means "extra or additional parts" it can also mean "requirements".

It can be easily seen that ricikan is the correct, and more appropriate word to use to refer to the features of a keris blade. These features are not "tools, utensils, equipment", but are "additional parts", or "requirements", in the sense of a specific requirement to satisfy a particular dhapur.
In Malay, 'prabot' (which probably comes from the word 'perabot') refers to furniture or tools. Alan, perhaps the reason why you seldom hear, because it is used in Peninsular Malaysia rather than in Jawa... Afaik, ricikan = prabot. Furnishing in this case, would probably meant to refer as blade decorations.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 03:48 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Yes Shahrial, I do see "prabot" used often by Malaysian based collectors, that is the reason I phrased my comment as :- "In respect of Javanese keris---"

In Jawa, I understand that some people will use prabot, instead of ricikan, but according to the people I know, and have known, in Jawa, this is quite incorrect.

I think you will find that "prabot", and "perabot", are exactly the same word, only alternate spellings or inflexions.

Prabot can mean "furnishing" in Indonesian or Javanese too:- "prabot rumah".
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 05:11 AM   #8
ganjawulung

If you refer to keris terminology in Java, yes, Alan is correct. "Perabot keris" or you may spell it as "prabot keris" as you like, means all the things that make keris complete -- except the blade. Such as keris hilt, warangka, mendhak, selut, pendhok etc.

Yes, perabot can mean "utensils". The synonim of perabot in Javanese language is "piranti". Or in Indonesian "alat". Even there is a modern terminology in Indonesian now, "piranti lunak" to mention "software" (computer). Or "perangkat lunak" to mention the similar thing (software)...

To mention the details of keris, such as greneng, tikel alis, wadidang, ganja, luk, sekar kacang, pesi, we use the word "ricikan".

Just another information for you...
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 06:14 AM   #9
sjors

Thank you Gentlemen,
That's what I really like about this forum; every day I learn more about keris and its cultural surroundings.
regards Sjors
Old 13th July 2008, 07:12 AM   #10
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Yes Shahrial, I do see "prabot" used often by Malaysian based collectors, that is the reason I phrased my comment as :- "In respect of Javanese keris---"
Hi Alan and Pak Jimmy, I do understand. I'm merely stating the use of 'prabot' as in the Malay Peninsular use and context. I'm not saying it's right or wrong... in my posts, I use the term 'ricikan' too when refering to the blade features, especially the base area.
Old 13th July 2008, 07:17 AM   #11
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjors
Thank you Gentlemen,
That's what I really like about this forum; every day I learn more about keris and its cultural surroundings.
regards Sjors
Hi sjors,
Nice keris, a simple and elegant piece, imo.
Old 14th July 2008, 04:22 AM   #12
ganjawulung

Quote:
I recently got this Solokeris, it was in a (very) poor condition (very rusty, paint, bended, you name it) so I'm still working on it.
Having spots all over your blade, did you use chemical liquid to work (clean) on it? What kind of chemicals, please?
Old 14th July 2008, 06:58 AM   #13
sjors

Quote:
Having spots all over your blade, did you use chemical liquid to work (clean) on it? What kind of chemicals, please?
Dear Ganjawulung,
In real there are no spots like that on the picture, I think it's some kind of reflextion of the oil I used.
I didn't use any chemical liquid, just vinegar after derusting it for some time in a electrolithic way because of the heavy rust ( it doesn't "eat" material, just rust), the same way I do with Archeological findings (another hobby of mine).
I included a "before and after"picture.
Attached Images

Old 14th July 2008, 06:35 PM   #14
ganjawulung

Quote:
I didn't use any chemical liquid, just vinegar after derusting it for some time in a electrolithic way because of the heavy rust ( it doesn't "eat" material, just rust), the same way I do with Archeological findings (another hobby of mine).
Good work, Sjors. Thanks to the different nature I am living, usually I clean such rusty blade in a very easy way. Just sink the blade with "coconut water" overnight or two -- not too long, then just brush it softly with very soft "tooth brush" and lime-juice mixed with a bit cream soap. Did you clean the hilt in the same way as the blade. I mean with vinegar too? (hilt in the later pics, is cleaner than the first)
Old 14th July 2008, 07:01 PM   #15
sjors

Dear Ganjawulung,

Next time I'm sure I wil try your way of cleaning.
I didn't clean the hilt with vinegar, I just used water and some mild soap but it was (like its dress) so dirty, you wouldn't believe it...(in real it's a little bit darker than at the picture but I left it that way so you could have a better look at the keris itself)
At the same time I bought this keris I bought another Solo keris, 11 luk, from the same person, and it was also that dirty, I wonder what happend to those kerisses.
The problem is that, due our history, there are a lot of kerisses in the Netherlands but also a lot are in a bad shape, so I like to buy a pile of rust to reform it to something like a "normal" keris, it gives me the feeling I've saved something.
Old 14th July 2008, 07:08 PM   #16
sjors

And during cleaning I found out that he mendak was silver in stead of copper
Old 14th July 2008, 08:57 PM   #17
ganjawulung

Quote:
Next time I'm sure I wil try your way of cleaning.
Many ways of cleaning such rusty blade. "Coconut water" is only one among tens of ways of cleaning keris blade. But one must be careful too, because coconut water is quite corrosive, although in many occasion you may look people (in Indonesia) drinking coconut water like drinking coca cola... Just please, don't sink your keris blade too long in coconut water. (And after more than two days, usually the coconut water gets stinky and more corrosive...)