Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th May 2011, 10:13 PM   #61
Atlantia

Any further thoughts gentlemen?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 04:35 PM   #62
Atlantia

So, finally found the right dark mahogany-esq (some exotic hardwood) timber with straight enough grain to make new handles.

Here are pictures of the initial results of the first finished handle. Some polishing still needed.
Handle length about 25 1/2", overall 28".
Style is Indian, following the examples shown on Runjeets excellent site. I have used these as I am still of the opinion that Indian is the most likey origin.
It swings well and feels great at this length.

One down, one to go.
Attached Images

Old 1st June 2011, 07:00 PM   #63
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
So, finally found the right dark mahogany-esq (some exotic hardwood) timber with straight enough grain to make new handles.

Here are pictures of the initial results of the first finished handle. Some polishing still needed.
Handle length about 25 1/2", overall 28".
Style is Indian, following the examples shown on Runjeets excellent site. I have used these as I am still of the opinion that Indian is the most likey origin.
It swings well and feels great at this length.

One down, one to go.
NICE JOB GENE
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 06:05 PM   #64
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
NICE JOB GENE
Thanks mate
Makes a lot of difference having good wood to work with. The Ash was horribly soft, even though it was old.
Old 4th June 2011, 07:14 PM   #65
Atlantia

OK, so here are the two re-hafted. Look and feel great, need some handling and waxing, but I'm pleased with the results.
Attached Images

Old 5th August 2011, 09:47 AM   #66
kronckew

not sure how i missed this thread, musta been while i was moving...

the eastern european area around romania/hungary/southern poland saw a small axe known as the fokos or ciupaga, used as protection against wolves. two and four legged. originally in steel, they were later outlawed if steel, so were then made in brass or bronze. they were of walking stick length and normally had an alpine point on the end. the shafts were carved artistically and painted. these were alluded to in the 'shepard's axe' reference posted earlier by atlantia (post 37).

these are my two: the silvery one is plated brass.

(axe 1)

(axe 2)

(axe 3)

this one has an engraved sheet brass guard attached over the sharpened edge.

(axe 4)

even the brass ones were eventually out of fashion, and they were then supplied carved and painted entirely out of wood (see the shepard's axe ref), but in the same 'axe' shape. there has been a revival of steel fokos being made in hungary, tho i'm not sure how legal they are there.

(axe 5) modern steel fokos, viktor berbekucz

for our arab friend, ibrahim, (salaam aliakum) here is my small arabian axe:

(axe 6)

i've always been amazed at how small the axe head is. it's razor sharp by the way... and thanks for the additional information, ibrahim.

(axe 7)

photo archive attached 'justincase'
Attached Files
File Type: zip small axes.zip (256.7 KB, 799 views)

Last edited by kronckew; 5th August 2011 at 11:01 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 05:46 PM   #67
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
not sure how i missed this thread, musta been while i was moving...

the eastern european area around romania/hungary/southern poland saw a small axe known as the fokos or ciupaga, used as protection against wolves. two and four legged. originally in steel, they were later outlawed if steel, so were then made in brass or bronze. they were of walking stick length and normally had an alpine point on the end. the shafts were carved artistically and painted. these were alluded to in the 'shepard's axe' reference posted earlier by atlantia (post 37).

these are my two: the silvery one is plated brass.

this one has an engraved sheet brass guard attached over the sharpened edge.

out of fashion, and they were then supplied carved and painted entirely out of wood (see the shepard's axe ref), but in the same 'axe' shape. there has been a revival of steel fokos being made in hungary, tho i'm not sure how legal they are there.

for our arab friend, ibrahim, (salaam aliakum) here is my small arabian axe:

i've always been amazed at how small the axe head is. it's razor sharp by the way... and thanks for the additional information, ibrahim.

I see the modern 'walking axes' occasionally, but as you rightly say, most are just carved axes shaped wood now. The arabian axe is an unusual find
The debate on my pair contines off-line, a recent popular conclusion is Ottoman Turkish.

Best
Gene
Old 15th February 2012, 11:11 AM   #68
David R

Default Axes ID

Have you considered that these axes might be Turcoman. I have found in the past that a weapon that defied identification, was eventually found to be most likely from that Central Asian people. Their location made them prone to influences from a wide number of places, India, Iran Russia and even China, and as infamous slavers they got everywhere.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote