FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st January 2016, 10:12 PM   #1
kronckew

Default More Fijian clubs?

picked up this pair tonite.
vendor's blurb:
Quote:
A HUGE PAIR OF MAORI STYLE CLUB PADDLES HAND MADE FROM SOLID HEAVY WOOD

A pair of huge striking Maori style paddles, handmade from solid wood.

These massive examples have a combined weight of 2200 grams. The brown club paddle measures 29 inches long and the head is 11.5 inches across, The black example is 34 inches long and the head is 11.5 inches across.

The arms are bound with a hemp/natural twine and the heads are both intricately patterned.

Exact age unknown, they are in excellent condition with just very light wear as shown, some marks to the top of the handles.

A beautiful pair of Maori style paddles, would looking wonderful wall mounted.
i don't believe for a moment that they are maori.

somehow they look more fijian to me, tho i can't see ones quite like them, bit like kinikini. searching here on the forum or in googleling. look fairly new, but they were cheap.

comments appreciated, with thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 31st January 2016 at 10:28 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 12:36 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

TWO INTERESTING EXAMPLES. I AGREE THEY ARE MORE LIKELY FROM FIJI AND FAIRLY RECENT. I HAVEN'T SEEN THIS FORM BEFORE THE BLACK ONE DOES HAVE THE SHAPE A PADDLE WOULD HAVE AT THE GRIP RATHER THAN A CLUB HANDLE. THE BROWN ONE I CAN'T TELL. OFTEN PADDLES CAN SERVE AS A CLUB OR SPEAR DEPENDING ON THE SHAPE. IF TWO CANOES GET CLOSE TOGETHER YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE ABLE TO ALTERNATE BETWEEN FIGHTING AND PADDLING. YOUR TWO EXAMPLES WOULD WORK AS A CLUB BUT WOULD LIKELY BE TOO HEAVY FOR PADDLING VERY LONG. POST THEM IN THE FIJI CLUBS POST WHEN YOU GET THEM IF YOU LIKE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 07:42 AM   #3
kronckew

i agree on the 'pommel' ends, the brown one looks like the end on a baseball bat, ie. the swelling is of circular x-section, while the blackened one seems to have an oblong or oval x-section. hard to tell from the small photos which, especially on black objects may be deceptive. will post them in the other place with better pics. the description does seem to show them as a bit short and heavy for actual paddles, rather than symbolic ones. i read somewhere that the fijian chiefs used very decorated paddle clubs similar in shape to the tongan caracula forms as badges of office as well as war clubs, and they could also be used as shields to deflect incoming projectiles, and were called kini kini.
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:06 AM   #4
kronckew

they arrived today, nice heavy 2 handed clubs, the 'pommel' ends on both are of oval cross section, not round. the cord was 3-part braided before wrapping the length of the haft. the 'blades' are lenticular, sharp edges tho the small side 'ears' have a thicker flat outer edge. central 'point' is sharp edged.

these are impractical for use as paddles, too heavy, too short & the wrapping too extensive. the wood is a very beautiful subtle grain shading on both of them & the carving is top notch. they are a bit heavy for a single handed use, tho they can be used that way. 2 hands would be better, probably why the long wrapped grip area.

i'll get some better pics outside in the next few days, weather permitting - it keeps raining (it is the UK after all) and also add them to the FIJI most desired thread.
Old 4th February 2016, 06:34 PM   #5
fireiceviper

These are indeed fiji fantasy clubs made for tourists, but they look nice .
fireiceviper is offline   Reply With Quote