Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st March 2023, 06:43 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Cuchillo Criollo, "Gaucho knife", Brazil or Uruguay ? Age?

We have seen recently two interesting threads about Cuchillo Criollo.
I have one in my possession where I thought that it is one of this mass produced mid. 20th century ones, fittings from "alpaka", German silver.
Yesterday I noticed that it had become black, so I polished it with a silver cloth and to my surprise the fittings are from silver. The blade is unmarked and slightly flexible. The silver work seems very good to my eyes and by my polishing I noticed a marking on both side ridge of the scabbard, looking to my eyes as there was over a long time a band/belt attached. (last pic.) So I am guessing that it could be older and was in use. And I am unsure if it is a Brazil or Uruguay one.
25 cm inside scabbard, 23,5 cm without, blade 14 cm

Any educated opinions regarding age and origin?
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 1st March 2023 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Add measurements
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2023, 07:20 PM   #2
Norman McCormick

Hi Detlef,
The hilts on yours and mine have some similarities and it wouldn't surprise me if they came from the same workshop.
My Regards,
Norman.

This is the only other S.American knife I have. Criollo Punal, blade made by J.A. Henckels. Solingen. imported by and hilt made? by R Laydner, Porto Alegre, Brazil. The knife is 14 1/2 inches overall with a 9 1/2 inch blade. The hilt is good quality and seems to be silver. The sheath is leather with a plated brass chape. It would appear to date from the 1st quarter 20thC as the particular style of Henckels logo stamped on the blade was introduced in 1900 although the company has been going since the latter part of the 18thC. As far as I can gather R. Laydner exhibited amongst other things cutlery at a trade fair in the U.S.A. in 1895.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2023, 07:58 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick View Post
Hi Detlef,
The hilts on yours and mine have some similarities and it wouldn't surprise me if they came from the same workshop.
My Regards,
Norman.

This is the only other S.American knife I have. Criollo Punal, blade made by J.A. Henckels. Solingen. imported by and hilt made? by R Laydner, Porto Alegre, Brazil. The knife is 14 1/2 inches overall with a 9 1/2 inch blade. The hilt is good quality and seems to be silver. The sheath is leather with a plated brass chape. It would appear to date from the 1st quarter 20thC as the particular style of Henckels logo stamped on the blade was introduced in 1900 although the company has been going since the latter part of the 18thC. As far as I can gather R. Laydner exhibited amongst other things cutlery at a trade fair in the U.S.A. in 1895.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images
Hello Norman,

Your knife was the reason to put out my one because I noticed the resemblance of the handles. And when my one would be from the turn of the centuries I would be glad!

Best regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 1st March 2023 at 09:55 PM.
Old 2nd March 2023, 07:18 PM   #4
Norman McCormick

Hi Detlef,
I suspect blades were imported from Europe and mounted locally. R.Laydner would appear to be a Cutler based in Porto Alegre, Brazil. If we accept that your knife and mine come from the same hand then yours is from Brazil as is mine. I see your blade doesn't have a manufacturers name on it so there is a possibility it might be local although I would probably err on the side of it being an import from Europe. As far as age is concerned I don't know but I don't see any reason it couldn't date from the late 19thC early 20thC. An e-mail to Abel Domenech would give you a much more definitive answer and I have found him to be most approachable and helpful. I didn't contact him re my knife as the stamps gave me the info I needed but I would be interested in what he had to say about yours as ours are near siblings. If you do contact Mr Domenech please feel free to send the photos of mine as well to show him the similarities in the hilt architecture.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2023, 07:45 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick View Post
Hi Detlef,
I suspect blades were imported from Europe and mounted locally. R.Laydner would appear to be a Cutler based in Porto Alegre, Brazil. If we accept that your knife and mine come from the same hand then yours is from Brazil as is mine. I see your blade doesn't have a manufacturers name on it so there is a possibility it might be local although I would probably err on the side of it being an import from Europe. As far as age is concerned I don't know but I don't see any reason it couldn't date from the late 19thC early 20thC. An e-mail to Abel Domenech would give you a much more definitive answer and I have found him to be most approachable and helpful. I didn't contact him re my knife as the stamps gave me the info I needed but I would be interested in what he had to say about yours as ours are near siblings. If you do contact Mr Domenech please feel free to send the photos of mine as well to show him the similarities in the hilt architecture.
My Regards,
Norman.
Hi Norman,

Thank you for your thoughts about my knife!
The blade from your very nice Cuchillo Criollo is an imported blade, obviously. Henckels was a prominent cutler from Solingen and I know that Solingen cutlers produced blades with other marks and as well without, so my question regarding the blade.
And since no other person with more knowledge as I am has join in, I think about to contacting Mr. Domenech to get some more information about my knife.
When I will do it I will add yours also and will provide the information I'll get here for sharing with you all.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 2nd March 2023, 10:35 PM   #6
Sajen

Another one sold on a German site recently in the overall similar appearance.
32,5 cm long.
Attached Images