Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th September 2023, 07:29 PM   #1
Mercer

Default Mediaeval Sword Chape

The photo's show a mediaeval or dagger sword chape which I found some years ago on the foreshore of the Thames near London Bridge.
I took it the V & A Museum London and a member of the Keeper of the Metalwork Department thought it was very probable 14th century with the inscription in gothic: 'ME ME" which could be a shortened version of 'Maria Maria', or 'me me' of memento mori. Remember me to God. An invocation.
The approx dimensions are: 50mm (2") x 30mm (1 3/16") x 6mm (1/4") slot width.
The Thames River by the City of London was for centuries of course the natural dumping ground for everything and it's foreshore has produced and is still producing I believe an amazing array finds.
The most amazing item I have ever seen found, was what I saw a few years ago in the Armouries of the Tower of London, where it is now I do not know, but it was a most magnificent kidney dagger, found on the foreshore, in mint condition about 15 inches long and from the pair of kidneys the blade of triangular section about 3/4 wide on each of the three flats fluted and tapering to a needle point.
A master piece of craftsmanship.
The most vicious and menacing blade I have ever seen making Japanese swords look like nursery toys!
Attached Images

Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2023, 06:08 PM   #2
kronckew

The 'chape' is the metal fitting at the pointy end of a scabbard.
Yours is a Throat piece or locket. It appears to be for a dagger as it has the eye for a suspension loop.

It's OK to call a bollock dagger by that name.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2023, 07:19 PM   #3
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up

Very nice and exciting to have found it yourself. I have always suspected that weapons in 'urban' waterways often came there by a need to destroy evidence. Below is a picture of a dagger with a 7 7/8 inch blade reputedly found along the Thames, though it is far less intimidating than the one you mention.

There is a nice article on these daggers at MyArmoury:
http://myarmoury.com/feature_spot_bd.html.
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2023, 09:58 PM   #4
Radboud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Very nice and exciting to have found it yourself. I have always suspected that weapons in 'urban' waterways often came there by a need to destroy evidence.
I think the number of lost keys that can be found at a local boat ramp would suggest a much simpler reason. Especially when you keep in mind that pretty much everyone carried a form of knife then.
Radboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2023, 09:59 PM   #5
Radboud

That's a great piece of history Mercer, wonderful find.
Radboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2023, 01:42 PM   #6
Mercer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
The 'chape' is the metal fitting at the pointy end of a scabbard.
Yours is a Throat piece or locket. It appears to be for a dagger as it has the eye for a suspension loop.

It's OK to call a bollock dagger by that name.
I quite agree, 'chape' and 'sword' were in fact is what the V & A mentioned. Also, they did not explain how 'ME Me" was connected with 'Maria Maria' other than as an invocation.
Kidney dagger is more than likely not what the dagger was originally called.
Old 16th September 2023, 02:00 PM   #7
Mercer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Very nice and exciting to have found it yourself. I have always suspected that weapons in 'urban' waterways often came there by a need to destroy evidence. Below is a picture of a dagger with a 7 7/8 inch blade reputedly found along the Thames, though it is far less intimidating than the one you mention.

There is a nice article on these daggers at MyArmoury:
http://myarmoury.com/feature_spot_bd.html.
What you have is a very nice and when bright and shiny intimidating enough I am sure and no doubt has a tale to tell!
Old 16th September 2023, 04:50 PM   #8
Lee
EAAF Staff

Smile A little further off topic, but

Though it excludes daggers, swords and sword fittings, there is an interesting monograph on excavated knives, their leather scabbards as well as other cutlery such as scissors from the Museum of London. It includes a number of presumed maker's marks:

Cowgill, J.; M. de Neergaard and N. Griffiths. Medieval Finds from Excavations in London: 1. Knives and Scabbards. London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1987.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote