Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 5th June 2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Strange Turtle Shell Shield on Ebay

Hi Guys

This auction just ended. Is this African?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7418974408

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 08:10 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

I think it is. I am sure I have some pictures I will go and find them.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 08:13 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Sudanese picture to follow.

South Sudan. Dinka, Shilluk.

Picture from Shields, Barbier-Mueller Museum, Prestel. Not expensive and a must have.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 09:11 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THE SHIELDS DUE TO SIZE AND APPEARANCE LOOK TO BE FROM THE FRESH WATER SOFTSHELL TURTLE. IT IS ABUNDANT IN OKLAHOMA AND CONSIDERED GOOD EATING, I SUSPECT IT IS A SIMULAR SPECIES FROM AFRICA ,SUDAN AS MENTIONED ABOVE. THE CENTER OF THE SHELL IS BONE WITH A LARGE RUBBERY PART ALL AROUND THE OUTSIDE WHICH WOULD SHRINK UP WHEN DRY AND HELP HOLD THE BONES TOGETHER. INTERESTING SHIELD I HAD NOT SEEN ONE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 09:20 PM   #5
katana

Tried to search turtle shells by species. But due to the patination on the 'turtle shield' it is very difficult to pin point one in particular. I can tell you the likely suspects for providing the shell have nesting sites on the African coastline bordering the Red Sea.(Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia) Unfortunately, the same species are found around Australasia, Polynesia etc.
So no conclusive answer, I'm afraid.

Actually wondering whether the shell would be a good shield........it didn't protect the previous owner very well...
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 10:03 PM   #6
Lew
(deceased)

Katana

That Zulu cowhide shield didn't help the cow either

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 10:12 PM   #7
katana

TOUCHE
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 01:41 AM   #8
fearn

Hi Katana,

One point that might help your search: Vandoo's point about it being a freshwater turtle shell might help your search. The freshwater species tend not to occur on several continents, so far as I know.

This contrasts with the sea turtles, which do nest on several continents, although they tend to return to their particular natal beaches.

From your comments, I'd guess you searched on sea turtles. People have made shields from these, but I suspect that you'd get more informative results if you searched on "softshell turtle," as Vandoo suggested.

Neat shield. I'm not surprised that there's an African version, but I've never seen one before. Learn something new every day!

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 02:31 AM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

SEARCH AFRICA SOFTSHELL TURTLE, THEN SELECT TURTLES OF THE WORLD . YOUR TURTLE IS MOST LIKELY TRIONYX TRIUNGUIS A SPECIES FOUND IN MANY RIVERS IN AFRICA. IT IS EXTINT IN A LARGE PART OF ITS FORMER RANGE IN EGYPTS NILE. TOLD YA IT WAS GOOD TO EAT THERE IS PLENTY OF INFORMATION ON IT AS WELL AS A PICTURE WHICH LOOKS JUST LIKE OUR LOCAL SPECIES.

I HAVE EATEN A FEW BUT LACK THE PROPER COOKING SKILLS TO MAKE IT WORTH CATCHING ANY MORE. I AM FAMILIAR WITH THEIR SHELLS AND QUITE A FEW SPECIES OF OTHER TURTLES FROM LAND AND FRESH AS WELL AS SALT WATER. I HAVE A SMALL COLLECTION OF SHELLS BOTH CURRENT AND FOSSIL. THE SPECIES IN THE USA IS NOT ENDANGERED AS THEY ARE DIFFICULT TO CATCH (VERY FAST TURTLES AND OBSERVENT) BESIDES MOST OF OUR POPULATION DOES THEIR HUNTING IN THE STORE OR AT THE FAST FOOD PLACE.

I DON'T THINK THEY WOULD MAKE A VERY GOOD SHIELD UNLESS THE AFRICAN SPECIES HAS A THICKER SHELL THAN ITS AMERICAN COUSIN. SEA TURTLE SHELLS MAKE GOOD SHIELDS. THE LARGEST SOFTSHELL TYPE TURTLE IS A SEA TURTLE CALLED A LEATHERBACK IT IS THE LARGEST TURTLE ALIVE TODAY AND VERY DIFFERENT FROM ALL OTHER TURTLES AND NOT RELATED TO THE FRESHWATER TYPES.
Old 6th June 2006, 04:52 AM   #10
Zifir

Hi,
This example is from the Military Museum in Istanbul. There was information on its origin though.
Attached Images

Zifir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 03:56 PM   #11
VANDOO
(deceased)

THE LAST ONE LOOKS LIKE A SEA TURTLE SHELL WITH THE COVERING MISSING. HARD TO TELL BUT I WOULD GUESS IT MIGHT BE A GREEN SEA TURTLE SHELL A LARGE TYPE HUNTED IN A LARGE PART OF THE WORLD AND I HAVE SEEN SHIELDS MADE FROM THEIR SHELLS.
Old 10th June 2006, 07:20 PM   #12
Wodimi

Hello Lew,

be sure, it's African. You find this typ in the southern Soudan and different nilotic tribes are possible.
Attached mine from the Bari. The shell is very hard and in my opinion a very good protection for every stick figthing match.
Attached Images

Wodimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 10:23 PM   #13
erlikhan

I know it writes "Indian" as origin for the one in Istanbul.And to right-below is an alligator hide shield.
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote