Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th October 2009, 07:05 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default New arms museulogic nucleus in Portugal

The Portuguese Association of Arms Collectors (APCA), from which i am a member, has opened last week a little museulogic nucleus, in its premises in Cascais (some 25 miles from Lisbon).
This is considered worthy of note; we are a small country, where arms museums or similar spaces can be counted with the fingers of one's hands.
Actually this association is one of a kind, and its members are no more than around 150 (i am one of their latest 'acquisitions').
It is devastating to remember that, in a country where at a certain time weaponry was its middle name, early examples are nowadays so hard to put an eye on.
As it couldn't be otherwise, the person who volunteered to lend or donate the largest number of ancient specimens to the space, was Rainer Daehnhardt; more than half the early pieces exhibited came from his collection.
The irony is that, although taking pictures was allowed, the photographer didn't take such advantage, due to his skill limitations ... and the sinister reflex of the windows glass.
There will be three sessions of pictures, divided by 'part one two and three' threads.
I am also keeping back all tags and other details, just in case someone cares to know about some of the items.

Fernando

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 07:06 PM   #2
fernando

Attached Images

Old 9th October 2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Norman McCormick

Hi Fernando,
Where's the Artillery?
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Great job, Fernando, thanks a lot!

May I add that the Austrian matchlock musket of ca. 1645-50 comes from Frondsberg Castle, Styria, and was, together with a couple of amost identical specimens, sold Tom Del Mar, London, Dec 15, 2004. Another one of this rare series is in my collection. They are most important for never having beeen cleaned or restored, thus giving authentic proof of the immense shortage in material and the tremendous need during the final years of the Thirty Years War. Their beechwood stocks were never stained but left untreated and their general processing quality is very low. All they had to do is fire ...

I attach two details of my specimen.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 05:51 PM   #5
fernando

Thank you Michael,
I am glad you added full info on that musket as, eventually , i didn't picture its legend.
Thank you also for the pictures of your specimen.
Fernando
Old 14th October 2009, 03:32 PM   #6
Marc

Hi, Fernando.

This is no less than fantastic! I'm envious, seriously. Thank you very much for sharing it with us. Is it visitable by the general public? I could picture myself touring the already breathtaking wonders of Portugal in a route that would happen to include this collection and the Lisbon Army museum...

Best,

Marc
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 04:46 PM   #7
fernando

Hi Marc, muchas gracias .
Yes, it is open to general public.
If and when you intend to go there, i will point you the route; it is in a very central place in Cascais, anyway.
Salud.
Fernando

... and remember, you can take pictures, with or without flash; which is not the case in the Military Museum. There is allways someone watching you; either a young soldier or more commonly one of these sinister ugly women .

Last edited by fernando; 14th October 2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: spell
Old 15th October 2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Michael, thank you for pointing out the identification of that matchlock musket, and the historical importance on it! It is completely fascinating to see examples of these ersatz weapons which survived even though they were not decoratively furnished pieces that would have appealed to many early collectors. Obviously thier importance now is from thier clear historical importance.
I am always amazed at your comprehensive knowledge and recollection of the international world of salerooms and museums!

Fernando, thank you again for bringing this museums holdings to us here, and we clearly gain so much by seeing these items along with the comments they generate with the members here.

Nicely done gentlemen!!!
Wish I could go too Marc!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 04:05 PM   #9
celtan

Hola 'Nando,

Muito Obrigado for the museum's pictures, seems you have joined Michael's ranks of muito interesting posts! Kahnjar's were also very interesting.

Please enlighten me. What's the purpose behind forbidding picture-taking sans flash..? Do these Museums have books depicting their collections, and wish to sell them instead? A picture sans flash doesn't affect either paintings nor objects. The main reason for me visiting any museum would be precisely to take pictures of items I consider interesting, or to buy a photo-book of their collection.

I own a couple books from the Spanish Museo del Ejercito, so the prohibition to take pictures there would serve an actual purpose: stimulating the sale of their books. Otherwise, I don't see any logic behind such prohibition.

Any other reason that you guys may think of?

Best

Manolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Hi Marc, muchas gracias .
Yes, it is open to general public.
If and when you intend to go there, i will point you the route; it is in a very central place in Cascais, anyway.
Salud.
Fernando

... and remember, you can take pictures, with or without flash; which is not the case in the Military Museum. There is allways someone watching you; either a young soldier or more commonly one of these sinister ugly women .

celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 04:42 PM   #10
fernando

Hola Manolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
Hola 'Nando,
Muito Obrigado for the museum's pictures, seems you have joined Michael's ranks of muito interesting posts! Kahnjar's were also very interesting.
Please enlighten me. What's the purpose behind forbidding picture-taking sans flash..? Do these Museums have books depicting their collections, and wish to sell them instead? A picture sans flash doesn't affect either paintings nor objects. The main reason for me visiting any museum would be precisely to take pictures of items I consider interesting, or to buy a photo-book of their collection.
I own a couple books from the Spanish Museo del Ejercito, so the prohibition to take pictures there would serve an actual purpose: stimulating the sale of their books. Otherwise, I don't see any logic behind such prohibition.
Any other reason that you guys may think of?
Best
Manolo
I think they go on with such prohibitions do by inertia; just because the others do it.
If i well understand, in the old days picture taking was forbidden because, as cameras in interior premises had to forcingly operate with a flash, they could damage delicate matters like oil paintings and so, due to their magnesium bulbs ... is this correct?
Then with the advent of sophisticated cameras that are able to 'shoot in the dark', some museums with common sense began allowing picture taking provising the flash was not used ... this still correct?
Therefore those 'prohibiters' that exhibit objects which are not subject to flash damaging are wrong since the very beginning, whereas those that do not contemplate picture taking without a flash are second in line ... ignorance line, that is .
The only chance they have not to stand in such line is, as you sugest, the compeling for the acquisition of their photo books; then they may go to the unethical line instead .
Now a little story: when i asked the (rather appealing) lady in the Association if i could take pictures she told me that, in the first day of the exhibition she was told by some of the staff to stick a paper at the entrance forbidding picture taking; then someone with a higher rank saw the paper and told her to immediatelly take it off. Actually the marks of the paper were still in the door, as she pointed them to me.
Fernando