Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th September 2005, 12:19 PM   #1
fengmodao

Smile 18 centuries China that I collect , the compound bow of bull tendon and bull horn an

Hello :
This is Niu Jian of 18 a centuries China that I collected , the compound bow of ox horn and wood , and the curve that it is graceful . And refine . Being in hands to go up to have to leave , the skin of pearl fish is explaind that its grade is high . Spread the natural paint of the skin of birch tree of natural protection and the waterproof of black .

1=Contrary winding , the reservoir energy hugely !
2=Spread the ox horn of natural paint , and grows in age .
3=Graceful chord Gou can achieve economizes the objective of physical strength .
4=The skin of pearl fish that is remnant in the circle . If complete is beautiful .
5=The appearance after the bowstring is hung .
Attached Images

fengmodao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 12:57 PM   #2
kai

Thumbs up

Welcome Fengmodao!

Thanks, that's a nice addition! Bows (and arrows) are a bit neglected over here and I appreciate any postings on this topic!

BTW, do you use online translation? Thanks for your efforts with posting in English language!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 01:31 PM   #3
fengmodao

Smile

Thank to Kai:
What I used be the automatic translation of software . So being not smooth .Hopes that everybody likes , and even more paste .

I made the small summary as for the China bow :
1 year : Begins in winter purchasing the various materials , then set about indicating Mao Pi who does the various part .
2year : Spring continues later on the work of preceding 1 year winter , and until summer , because some materials need to pass summer the most scorching and can determine the nature , the work of second step to at start in autumn : Putting in order , and putting in order to finish to catch the work of third step : Piece together Mao Pi of various part together , Mao Pi of a complete bow in so accomplishing . Once more puts in order the outward appearance of bow to winter , and corrects the curvature ( dish bow ) of bow butt .
3year : Spring continues later on the work of last winter , and has crossed the June of the lunar calendar having tied the ox horn , and is polishing and puts in order work to autumn later on , and spreads the muscle again the October of the lunar calendar waited until .
4th year : Is only to summer continuously in spring proofreaies and correct ( dish bow ) to the bow , this work all will be done later on in every one-step work actually , but this time is fairly more important , and otherwise stopping once correct , and this work takes June as the watershed , before is the prevention , afterwards is remedying . What it is at the same time still will glue work such as pad , applique and goes up the oil shining etc .
Such bow has been accomplished , and exactly is the time of 3 years from the autumn end of winter tos 4th year of 1 year ! Not be because work can do to need so long time and is here under a lot of circumstances because some worker's orders have the close relation with season , which fairly portably quick method all will not adopted for class time is usual .
Making natural Niu Jian , the compound bow of ox horn and wood is complicated , and needs 40 days at least . But if the person who maintains meticulous , can use shooting 300 years , and power is huge ! ! !
Old 27th September 2005, 09:19 AM   #4
Chris Evans

Hi fengmodao,

Welcome - Your contribution is very much appreciated. Central Asian horn bows are absolutely fascinating - They are marvels of the bowyer's art.

Could you tell us the draw weight of the bow in Kg or Lbs and the length of the arrows, that is, the draw length?

How was the bow stored all these years so as to prevent de-lamination and general deterioration? And could you give us some details of the bow string?

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 11:11 AM   #5
fengmodao

Smile

Hi Chris:
The energy of bow is that to come from in 15000 Kgfs Horn Cm/kg with wooden 11000 Kgfs Cm/kg, the majorest is Sinew25000 Kgf Cm/kg and can many layers of bedding . So physical strength bending can be infinite greatly . As long as you have physical strength using enough it .

But everybody does not think that the bamboo wood that this is general expects , and will soak as a result of paint when the system is bent - > is dry - > paint - >'s complicated worker's order such as dry etc , and when painting dryly , the sour double key of his not saturated fat is by oxygen attack and opening , mutually forms ether key and cross-linking . The major functional group hydroxyl of Mu Zhu fibre also can be attacked the double key , and the paint mutually cross-linking in dry condition evaporation . The compound material that forms so , and pure Mu Zhu is different completely . Still having other participation like horn , muscle and glue etc material , the many of strength far are eager to excel than the single material .

The cord with Pi Ningcheng of animal of bowstring is made . The chord in this picture is made with the skin of donkey , and the rub that the vegetable oil repeats is used , and can achieving transparent effect is beautiful . The thread that still can use the cotton to make is that is more difficultly to make and is that noble uses .
Attached Images

Old 28th September 2005, 04:40 AM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

INTERESTING INFORMATION.
ARE THERE FACTORYS STILL MAKING THESE BOWS TODAY OR ARE THEY BEING MADE BY A FEW INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE PASSED DOWN THE TECKNIQUES THRU SEVERAL GENERATIONS? I HAVE NEVER SEEN A RECENTLY MADE BOW OF THIS TYPE ALL I HAVE SEEN WERE ANTIQUE AND IN NO CONDITION TO RISK STRINGING OR SHOOTING. WE HAVE BOW HUNTING SEASON HERE FOR MOST GAME AND USE BOWS FROM 50 POUNDS TO OVER 100 POUNDS PULL MOST BEING COMPOUND BOWS. ARE THERE HUNTING SEASONS IN CHINA AND DOES ANYONE STILL USE THE OLD BOWS THAT YOU DESCRIBE?
IN ONE OF THE OLD POSTS THERE WERE PICTURES OF QUITE A FEW DIFFERENT ANTIQUE JAPANESE ARROW POINTS DO YOU HAVE A VARIETY OF CHINESE POINTS IN YOUR COLLECTION?
SINUEW MADE FROM ANIMAL TENDONS AS WELL AS SKIN WERE SOMETIMES USED BY NATIVE AMERICANS FOR WEAPONS MANUFACTURE
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2005, 06:47 AM   #7
Chris Evans

Hi fengmodao,

Thanks for that information. Could you post some pictures of arrows?

Cheers
Chris
Old 28th September 2005, 11:19 AM   #8
fengmodao

Smile

1=This is the arrow of complete China Qing imperial court particular period . ( it is not mine )

2=The arrowhead that this is the China Qing imperial court ( Christian era 1644-- Christian era 1911 ) , complete iron makes , and the effect is varied .

3=This is the China Zhou imperial court ( 1066 before the Christian era ---221 before the Christian era ) the arrowhead of particular period . Its raw material is the alloy of copper . The outer mould of flowline . It is ancient .
Attached Images

Old 28th September 2005, 02:53 PM   #9
Mark

This is a fascinating thread. The fletching (feathers) on the arrow are unusual to my Western eyes -- very long. I wonder what effect it would have on the flight stability of the arrow? One the one hand, I can see it increasing from the greater surface area of the "wings," but on the other I can see it affecting the balance of the arrow and making it "back heavy."
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2005, 03:50 PM   #10
micas

This reminded me that I have some pics I took of bronze weapons in Xian (Terracotta army exhibit and Shanxi Provincial History Museum).

From the Zhou Dynasty (c.1100-256 BCE) to Qin Dynasty (221-205 BC). The frog design dagger axe head from the earlier Shang Dynasty (c.1600-1046 BC).
Attached Images

micas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2005, 04:09 PM   #11
micas

I was absolutely fascinated by that gold handled dagger. Love the craftsmanship in the goldwork. Notice that it's missing some of the embedded jade pieces.
Attached Images

micas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2005, 05:00 PM   #12
fengmodao

This is the feather of eagle . The arrow that the tiptop waited can be used , the goose , the wild goose can not than . Feather length can make that what flies distant the arrow . The stable pneumatic outer mould that this was the best in more distant ancientry .

The sword of Qin imperial court ( 221-205 before the Christian era ) is the miracle simply ! The sword of 100 centimetres that the tomb Qin emperor was found is winding by the heavy object pressure time discoverys , forms " the shape form of L" , but moving the heavy object opens as people , it has recovered the state sharp immediately . All shock more than 100 archaeology men and scientist that digs up the field . Am I surprised to this right and wrong Chang Ling , and who knows the expert of metal ? The explanation tells I this probably ?
Old 29th September 2005, 07:02 AM   #13
Chris Evans

Hi Folks,

1. Here is a website dedicated to traditional archery:

http://www.atarn.org

2. I scanned this engraving in from a very old book of mine. It depicts a mounted Mongol archer of the 19th century.

Cheers
Chris
Attached Images

Old 29th September 2005, 09:42 AM   #14
fengmodao

Smile

Am I in http://www.atarn.org" arrowhead " , and you are registered ?