Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 3rd December 2017, 03:36 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Small dagger for comment and identification

Hello dear members,

I have just acquired this small dagger with silver handle. It's 8.75" (22, 2 cm) overall, sadly no scabbard. I would like to know from where it coming (english?) and an estimated age. Is it a so called gamblers dagger? All comments are very welcome! The pictures are from the seller.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:20 PM   #2
thinreadline

It wont be British as it is stamped 'STERLING' . British and Irish sterling silver is always hallmarked with town of assaying , makers initials and date of manufacture ( indicated by a letter ) . 'STERLING' is required to be stamped on foreign made silver objects imported into the United Kingdom to indicate they are at least 0.925 silver . Many countries have adopted the British Sterling standard for silver purity .. the USA did so as early as the 1860s and so stamp their items accordingly . Mexico was another country that adopted the British standard and nowadays it is a widespread mark of quality.
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 06:20 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
It wont be British as it is stamped 'STERLING' . British and Irish sterling silver is always hallmarked with town of assaying , makers initials and date of manufacture ( indicated by a letter ) . 'STERLING' is required to be stamped on foreign made silver objects imported into the United Kingdom to indicate they are at least 0.925 silver . Many countries have adopted the British Sterling standard for silver purity .. the USA did so as early as the 1860s and so stamp their items accordingly . Mexico was another country that adopted the British standard and nowadays it is a widespread mark of quality.
Thank you very much! So it isn't Britsh. So my question is given to others, any idea of the origin?
I don't have the dagger in my hands yet but think that the handle is hollow when I look to the picture where is shown the top of the handle. I've bought it in the States so it could be that it was manufactured in the States.
Regards,
Detlef
Old 3rd December 2017, 08:08 PM   #4
kronckew

reminds me of my english dagger: they are frequently found with regimental badges on them, i think they are for gifts/presentation as letter openers rather than weapon use. this one appears to be pattern welded and unbadged. still, in a pinch...
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 3rd December 2017 at 08:19 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:49 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
reminds me of my english dagger: they are frequently found with regimental badges on them, i think they are for gifts/presentation as letter openers rather than weapon use. this one appears to be pattern welded and unbadged. still, in a pinch...
Thank you for comment Wayne. So I am not alone when I thought at first that it could be Britsh. But like Thinreadline pointed out my one can't be Britsh and I think that it don't will be a letter opener since the handle look heavily used.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:40 PM   #6
thinreadline

I must admit when I first saw it I thought , letter oipener or presentation piece as has benn said , though very often the whole thing is silver rather than just the handle. It could be British in the sense that it was made outside the UK and imported for whatever reason ... sometimes a retailer would import foreign items like this to sell on after badges or engravings were added . To me , the font used on the 'STERLING' looks 20th century ... but I am no expert .
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:45 PM   #7
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
... I think that it don't will be a letter opener since the handle look heavily used.
Maybe the previous owner(s) went through a lot of letters.

I wonder if it has been sharpened.

Then again, I use a razor sharp V42 dagger to open the occasional letter. The difference blurs.

p.s. - The USA and Canada used the letter mark 'STERLING', rather than a proof mark. So did the Irish! Bit closer to the UK again...
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 08:45 AM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
Maybe the previous owner(s) went through a lot of letters.

I wonder if it has been sharpened.

Then again, I use a razor sharp V42 dagger to open the occasional letter. The difference blurs.

p.s. - The USA and Canada used the letter mark 'STERLING', rather than a proof mark. So did the Irish! Bit closer to the UK again...
Hi Wayne,

yes, I use a miniature gunong to open letters because it's much sharper as a letter opener so I agree, the difference blurs.

Since I don't have it in hands yet I don't know if it is sharpened.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 7th December 2017, 06:22 AM   #9
Robert
EAAF Staff

Though this little dagger has seen better days it is built much better than most all letter openers I have ever seen. The blade is very well made and tempered (something usually not seen on letter openers) and even though a bit on the dull side right now you can tell at one time it was kept very sharp. The hilt is made of silver sheeting most likely over a wooden core. My opinion is that that this piece would have been better used for self defense than as a letter opener. Personally I would never use something this sharp to open envelopes as I would end up cutting myself way to often.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2017, 04:01 PM   #10
Sajen

Thank you Robert for comment and further description!

Best regards,
Detlef