Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th December 2009, 03:32 PM   #1
graeme gt

Default Khula Khud

Hi Guys,Can you give me any info on this one its well made with gold and silver inlay.
Attached Images

graeme gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 03:43 PM   #2
graeme gt

Default Detail of inlay

Detail of inlay.
Attached Images

Old 30th December 2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Qajar period in Persia?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Atlantia

Hi Graeme,
Is the helmet yours?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Dom

sources PittRivers Museum
http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgur...CIKL4AaJoayqCA

Information

This impressive-looking helmet is an early 19th century example from Persia (now Iran). It has a mail aventail made of two different metals forming a diamond pattern and the bowl features the image of a face, two horns and central spike. It is decorated all over with very fine plant patterns, small scrolls and stars painted in gold. The nose-guard is shown in resting position but would slide down over the face in battle.
The Beautiful Warrior

This early 19th century Persian helmet depicts the face of a pre-Islamic demon or Div. In the myths recorded by the author Ferdowsi in his 10th century work Shahnameh, the great Persian hero Rostam must complete seven labours in order to rescue his king Key Kayus, held captive by the Divs (demons) of Mazandaran. The final of these labours is the location and slaying of Div-e-Sepid (the White Demon), who is king of all the Divs. As Herakles (known as Hercules to the Romans) wore the skin of the Nemean Lion after he had killed it, so Rostam wore the face of Div-e-Sepid on his helmet. As such, this helmet symbolically suggests that the owner possessed the heroic and awe-inspiring qualities of Rostam, much as lion-like helmets in later centuries spoke to Europeans of the qualities of Herakles.

The concept of heroic chivalry has a long heritage in the Islamic world. One of the early cultural achievements of the Safavid Empire in 16th century Persia was reconciling two major strands of Islamic culture. These were Sufi mysticism and Shi‘ia, the traditional veneration of ideal, heroic individuals who exhibited the qualities of nobility, self-sacrifice, purity of character, and generosity to their enemies in victory or defeat. This combination underpinned the civilised attitude to warfare that the Safavids exhibited, which in turn influenced the military ethics of later Mogul emperors.

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 03:59 PM   #6
graeme gt

Hi Atlanta,helmet is mine.
Old 31st December 2009, 04:01 PM   #7
graeme gt

Thanks Dom.very similar helmet.
Old 31st December 2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme gt
Hi Atlanta,helmet is mine.

Hi Graeme,

Its a beauty.
Can we see the inside please?

I have to differ slightly from Dom's, write-up in a couple of ways though.

Unless I'm mistaken, the nose-guard on yours and the one in Doms picture is actually 'fixed' in the upright position and not sliding. That coupled with the relatively light gauge of the metal would suggest to me that the nose guard is more for display than protection.
Which I believe is also the purpose of this particular type of helmet.
This exact 'model' does seem to appear relatively often, and to be honest I've long admired and wanted one.
I've always assumed that they dated to the later end of the 19thC and that their form indicated either the changing trend in warfare making the helmet less important so allowing for more elaborate/less functional styles, or that they were indeed for parade/ceremonial purposes.

But hey, just my opinion, and nothing to back it up. As often happens it might at least give others something to disprove.

BTW, the condition of yours is exceptional! I am jealous.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 08:03 PM   #9
ward

Helmets shields and other pieces of this nonfunctional form with this style of koftgari were made in India, not Persia. They were for the Great Exhibition in 1851 that was held in the Crystal Palace in London. There are still a lot of them in England.
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 05:40 PM   #10
graeme gt

Atlantia,you are correct nasal bar cant slide.
Attached Images

Old 1st January 2010, 05:52 PM   #11
A Senefelder

I've seen a number of maces with this motif ( different from the bulls head maces that were made in the same region ) over the years.
A Senefelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 04:22 AM   #12
caveman

I like
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote