Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th February 2010, 01:16 PM   #1
stekemest

Default Tulwar

Hello,

I recently got this tulwar and wondered if anyone could tell me how old it is. I guess 19th century?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance.
Peter
Attached Images

stekemest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Seems like a standard foot soldiers sword late 19th or early 20th century.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Nicely patinated example of a Rajasthan type tulwar of about mid to late 19th century, most likely Rajput or possibly Sikh. While these forces were of course mounted, Sikhs were particularly feared for thier fast moving attacks from horseback. Rajputs often dismounted for combat.

Nice example of a well established form, and the patination looks great, please use restraint and stabilize any active corrosion using use gun oil or light oil , The patination on these old warriors is much of thier charisma.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 08:00 PM   #4
stekemest

Thank you both very much.

Peter
stekemest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 01:35 AM   #5
caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Nicely patinated example of a Rajasthan type tulwar of about mid to late 19th century, most likely Rajput or possibly Sikh. While these forces were of course mounted, Sikhs were particularly feared for thier fast moving attacks from horseback. Rajputs often dismounted for combat.

Nice example of a well established form, and the patination looks great, please use restraint and stabilize any active corrosion using use gun oil or light oil , The patination on these old warriors is much of thier charisma.

All best regards,
Jim

the 'Akalis' were the most feared within the sikh army...

"They [Nihang Singhs] are without exception, the most insolent and worthless race of people under the sun. They move about constantly armed to the teeth, insulting everybody they meet, particularly Europeans… They are quite uncontrollable and the only way to deal with them is to exterminate them.” (Extract above is by Lieut. Colonel Steinbach in 1846)

I have a few more quotes but they are on my other laptop....I shall try putting them up.

http://www.shastarvidiya.org/ on the martial art of the Akali Nihang Sikhs.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman
the 'Akalis' were the most feared within the sikh army...

"They [Nihang Singhs] are without exception, the most insolent and worthless race of people under the sun. They move about constantly armed to the teeth, insulting everybody they meet, particularly Europeans… They are quite uncontrollable and the only way to deal with them is to exterminate them.” (Extract above is by Lieut. Colonel Steinbach in 1846)

I have a few more quotes but they are on my other laptop....I shall try putting them up.

http://www.shastarvidiya.org/ on the martial art of the Akali Nihang Sikhs.
Interesting.
The period of this particular quote seems to illustrate the tension that existed between the Sikhs and the British during the 1st Sikh War (1845-46) and the 2nd Sikh War (1848-49) in the Punjab.
The Sikhs were indeed feared, and at Chillianwalah in 1849 some regiments of Bengal Light Cavalry balked at clashing with the Sikhs, known for giving no quarter and inflicting horrendous wounds with thier razor sharp swords.

In later years in the British Raj, the Sikh troops within the British forces fought with superb gallantry in the frontiers, and into the next century in the World Wars, with many of the country's highest honors awarded to them.

"...in the last two world wars 83,005 turban wearing Sikh soldiers were killed and 109,045 wounded. They all died and were wounded for the freedom of Britain and the world, and during shell fire with no other protection but the turban, the symbol of thier faith".
Gen. Sir Frank Messery

Sir Winston Churchill stated:
"...British people are highly indebted and obliged to Sikhs for a long time. I know that within this century we needed thier help twice in two world wars and they did help us very well. As a result of their timely help, we are today able to live with honor, dignity and independance. In the war they fought and died for us, wearing the turbans".

An excellent reference on the Sikh faith is "Warrior Saints", by Amandeep Singh Madra and Parmjit Singh.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 12th February 2010 at 03:55 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote