Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 18th November 2014, 10:28 PM   #1
erlikhan

Default Sending edged weapons to Italy

Hi. On ebay I have often seen edged weapon sales with the warning "Sorry, I don't ship to Russia,China,Italy". I know personally that Russian customs can become a real pain in the ass but I don't know anything when it is China and Italy. I haven't sold anything to China or Italy so I have never bothered myself wondering about the reasons that cause some sellers not to ship edged weapons to those countries -until today. Now a buyer from Italy has won something from my auction.
Is it risky,or illegal to ship an edged weapon to Italy (from a country out of EU)?
If yes, why and are there some measures to take to eliminate the risks?
I recall something like "...because shipments to Italy often get lost" as an explanation in one of those restriction warnings. Is it so? I will use UPS or DHL courier service. So any problems yet?

regards
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 01:40 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I think the responsibility of whether or not Italian Customs will allow importation lies with the person who purchased the piece from you .
They are, after all, citizens of that country and the responsibility for complying with those laws should be on their shoulders, not yours .

Make sure you get paid before you ship .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 04:23 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

SEVERAL YEARS AGO I SHIPPED A KNIFE TO A COLLECTOR IN ROME. IT GOT TO CUSTOMS THERE BUT VANISHED IN CUSTOMS. THE COLLECTOR SAID HE WAS TOLD IT WAS THERE BUT HAD TO WAIT FOR CUSTOMS TO CLEAR IT, LATER THE SAME ONES WHO SAW IT COULD NOT FIND IT. I WAS LATER TOLD THEFT WAS A BIG PROBLEM AND THERE WAS NOTHING TO BE DONE. THE PACKAGE WAS INSURED SO THE BUYER GOT ABOUT A FORTH OF ITS VALUE BACK. THE WORST PART IS THE THIEF DID NOT APPRECIATE THE KNIFE AND THE COLLECTOR LOST A VALUABLE ONE OF A KIND ADDITION TO HIS COLLECTION.
QUITE A FEW COUNTRY'S HAVE THIS REPUTATION THRU-OUT THE WORLD SOME DESERVING IT MORE THAN OTHERS. SO WE JUST HAVE TO TAKE OUR CHANCES. BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE MONEY IN HAND BEFORE SHIPPING AS IF PROBLEMS ARISE THERE IS VERY LITTLE YOU CAN DO AND VERY LITTLE HELP WILL BE FORTHCOMING. CASH IN HAND KEEPS THE SELLER FROM BEING SCAMMED (THERE IS A LOT OF THAT AROUND TOO) BUT THERE IS NOT MUCH PROTECTION FROM THE THIEF FOR THE BUYER. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 05:20 AM   #4
kahnjar1

Hmmmm!! This might explain or at least help to explain the disappearance of this item @ Post#41 http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=17191&page=2
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 07:33 AM   #5
erlikhan

Thanks. I will get paid by paypal. Will be a usual international ebay sale. So the particular problem about Italy looks like theft in postal customs. I will ship by one of the courier companies which I assume go through a different ,faster, more customer oriented and more seriously operated customs. I usually don't make insurance to avoid some extra cost as but this time insurance and full value declaration looks like must to keep myself in the safe side.

regards
Old 19th November 2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Valjhun

Italy is terrible. Their Poste Italiane loose items all the time and you cannot do nothing about it. If sending to Italy, use UPS or DHL. Second, edged weapons are strictly forbidden in Italy and the buyer must have a special questura permit to collect them (quite difficult to get one). On the other way, if a person from Italy bought a dagger or sword outside EU, then he probably has that permit already - if not there will be serious probblems for him. You should probably ask him about that permit.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 10:58 AM   #7
thinreadline

I send a lot of items from the UK to Italy ...about 30% 'disappear' ... theft or loss . I have recently experimented with different techniques . The best method is to have a 'signed for tracked ' postage method... this generally puts the thieves off and at least avoids 'clawback' of your paypal payment . If the item is low value ... I put a customs form on the packet ... not actually neccessary within the EU .. but it at least shows the thief that the packet is not worth stealing or opening. I now will not post to Italy unless by a tracked signed for method ... interestingly this has resulted in a big reduction in orders... I leave you to your own conclusions.
As to edged weapons being banned in Italy ... I am surprised that this is so as all the military shows have them for sale .
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 12:32 PM   #8
erlikhan

Ok thank you very much. I will ask the buyer about his collecting permission when he pays for the item and will send it by insured UPS or DHL.