Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th December 2004, 11:05 AM   #1
zamboanga

Default history of the yoyo as a weapon

hi forum members,

i have read and heard stories about the yoyo as a weapon in older times. most sources in the net attribute its martial origin to the philippines. i even read once (ripley's?) that it used to be 1 foot in diameter in size with a 20 feet long cord. the wielder supposedly waited in a tree and flung the weapon on unsuspecting prey or enemy passing below. has anyone seen or have in possession this unique weapon? what tribes could have used it?
zamboanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2004, 03:15 PM   #2
BluErf

Hmmm... that's interesting. The target will have to walk precisely underneath the person with his yoyo... and what if the yoyo guy misses? I bet he can't just jump off and run... His chosen victim could have a bow or blowpipe to shoot him with and I think he'll have a hard time dodging while on the tree. Worse... the target calls for help and a whole bunch of angry men surrounds the tree and shoot the yoyo guy.

Hey, doesn't that sound like paintball -- someone climbs up a tree to snipe on the opponent team and gets discovered. *splat splat splat splat splat*
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2004, 03:55 PM   #3
ariel

For a demonstration of this technique, please rent James Bond's "Octopussy"
Seeing Maude Adams is a bonus......
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2004, 04:47 PM   #4
fearn

Argh, somewhere I read a demolition of the idea of a yoyo weapon--I wish I could remember where it was! Oh well, one of these days....

Anyway, the central thesis of the demolition was that there's a big problem with a yoyo as a weapon. That problem is that it slows as it reaches the end of its string, which is precisely the opposite of what you want a good weapon to do (i.e. hit maximum velocity at the end).

The other thing is that if you bounce a yoyo off of someone, it's hard to recover, which negates the utility of having that well-balanced spinning thing on the end of a line.

It is quite possible to use a weighted rope or chain--witness the manriki-kusari, the suruchin, bolos, and all their relatives. You can also use faster recovery weapon such as a meteor hammer, which is basically a weight at the end of a 3-4 m line. But if you want to swat someone with a yoyo, I think generally you let it run out and swing it.

Oh well, I'm sure the next person on will have a sample of a filipino combat yoyo from the mountain tribes , but that's my take

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2004, 05:10 PM   #5
moose

Arrow

Here's a reference. Nothing really new.
http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/u...ML/002180.html

The twisted cord was I believe so that it did not slow down but actually increased at the end. Kind of a crack the whip motion.
I've also heard of the large ones. I believe they even had spikes on them.

Here's a link to a book about the more obscure Philippine Martial weapons. It doesn't mention the yo-yo, but if anyone knew more about it, A. Pat Marinas would be a good candidate.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...034519-6521728

I could swear I read something about it that he had wrote but a 1/2 hour search of my favorites and the web came up empty. I'll try again later.

I would also like to hear from any fellow forumites if they have information on this topic.

moose
moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2004, 05:27 PM   #6
moose

Arrow

did a little more searching.

If you punch Pedro Flores into google you'll bring up more stuff.
Here's one which references it as a weapon.

http://inventors.about.com/od/hispan...dro_Flores.htm

moose
moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 01:50 PM   #7
Bill M

Evidence of yoy-yo as a weapon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP0tUvi7NpE
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 04:51 PM   #8
mross

This type of thing seems to be popular. In a non-returning sort of way. Check out slung shot and monkey fist (knot).

Here's a link for a quick description;

http://upsurvival.tripod.com/id24.html
mross is offline   Reply With Quote