Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th March 2023, 10:36 PM   #31
Athanase

It seems to me that I have kept old Selut in a corner.

I'm not sure that the Selut was Indonesian.
It may be a European creation that awkwardly imitates the Indonesian Seluts to replace the missing mendak.
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2023, 11:14 PM   #32
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanase View Post
It seems to me that I have kept old Selut in a corner.

I'm not sure that the Selut was Indonesian.
It may be a European creation that awkwardly imitates the Indonesian Seluts to replace the missing mendak.
Well, as i look back on this thread it seems that i was one of the first to suggest that this selut was possibly from outside the cultural, but i have to say that i am not quite as certain now. I don't know if this thread predates when this patrem came into my collection, but my understanding is that this particular keris came straight out of the culture, so it would not have been affected by European or other outside influences. While is mendak/selut (not really sure what to call it) is not quite the same as the one on your keris it does seem to be in the same "family" in a way. You should at least be able to see way your keris put me in mind of it.
Of course my understanding of the patrem (though i am not really sure about this) is that they don't necessary have to meet the same standards as a regular keris does in regards to dress and form. But i believe this example might perhaps at least put a foot in the door for the argument that your selut may have originated in Jawa.
That said i still believe that the more standard mendak you have replaced it with is a better fit for your keris.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote