Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th February 2008, 07:52 PM   #1
eftihis

Default Tribal dart quiver

Hi, this is a dart quiver that i do not know anything about. Anyone more familiar with tribal items? Where it comes from? Why some darts have this sort of spongus material and the others are plain?
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Mytribalworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by eftihis
Hi, this is a dart quiver that i do not know anything about. Anyone more familiar with tribal items? Where it comes from? Why some darts have this sort of spongus material and the others are plain?
Hi Eftihis,

I think Philippines , Tagbanau tribe from Palawan.
the sponges material is mostly carried in a different container the are placed on the darts just before shooting.They are to make the dart fit into the bore of the blowgun.

Arjan.
Mytribalworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Henk

I'm with Arjan.
Philippines.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 11:36 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

I WOULD SAY BORNEO , THEIR DARTS AND QUIVERS ARE THE SAME AND THE PUNAN ALSO HAVE THE SOFT WOODEN PLUG ON THE ENDS OF THEIR DARTS. I HAVE NEVER SHOT DARTS WITH ANYONE IN THE PHILIPPINES SO CAN'T COMMENT ON WHAT THEIRS LOOK LIKE. THE CARVING ON THE WOODEN HOLDER IS WHAT MAKES ME SAY DAYAK. INCLUDED ARE 3 PIC'S 2 OF DART CONTAINERS AND ONE OF A KENYAH HUNTER WITH BLOWGUN/SPEAR (SUMPIT) AND A WILD PIG TAKEN IN 1922.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Henk

I still think it is from the Philippines, Tau't Bato tribe. I have a similar quiver. The Frenchman who sold it to me had brought the quiver back from this tribe in the sixties. He was sent to this tribes in the Philippines to bring medicines.
Old 7th February 2008, 10:54 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

PERHAPS THIS POST WOULD BE A GOOD PLACE TO POST SOME PICTURES OF PHILLIPPINE, DAYAK AND ANY OTHER PEOPLE OR COUNTRYS WHO USE BLOWGUNS. IT WOULD BE GOOD TO HAVE A PLACE TO COMPARE THE BLOWGUNS AND ACESSARYS FROM DIFFERENT CULTURES FOR REFRENCE.

HERE IS A DRAWING DONE IN 1703 OF NATIVES MAKEING WAR WITH BLOWGUNS IN MAKASAR, NOTE THE DART.
AND A PICTURE OF A SPEAR AND BLOWGUN FROM TORAJA
Attached Images

Old 9th February 2008, 10:56 AM   #7
Nonoy Tan

I have not seen a Tagbanua quiver (particularly the belt hook) like this before. Thus I tend to be on the side of the Borneo origin. I must say though that quivers from Palawan and Borneo can easily be mixed up by an untrained eye.

The Tagbanua and Tao't Batu (both of Palawan, Philippines) used quivers that may be difficult to differentiate, as it is possible that one may have adopted the technology from the other. My 2 cents.
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2008, 06:43 PM   #8
Dajak

This one looks like it comes from borneo .

Like to see one from the philipine that looks like this one .

Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2008, 07:32 PM   #9
Henk

Here it is.
Tau't Bato tribe from the Philippines. In the top of the cover poison was poured to put the tip of the arrows in.

The picture of the warrior with blowpipe and quiver is a member of the Tau't Bato tribe.
Attached Images

Old 10th February 2008, 07:45 AM   #10
Nonoy Tan

The quiver shown as Tau't Batu of Palawan is the same as the ones used by the Tagbanua (and Batak negritos of Palawan). The quiver in question, on the other hand, has a wooden hip hook design that is dissimilar. Therefore, I do not think that it is from Palawan - i.e. not Batak, not Tau't Batu, and not Tagbanua.
Old 10th February 2008, 01:33 PM   #11
Dajak

You right Nonoy Tan also the rattan binding is different from the dajaks
also the dart looks different

The top never Used as poison store they have poison disc where they prepare
the poison to put on the darts .

and poison mostly kept in leave s

Ben
Old 10th February 2008, 01:51 PM   #12
Dajak

Here is one not often see with complete rattan top this one can be found
in the welknown Oldman cataloque and should be dated before 1900.

the other complete with container for the op off the darts .
and the other one storage container for darts and tools this one is taken in 1880 from Borneo .

Ben
Attached Images

Old 10th February 2008, 07:08 PM   #13
Battara
EAAF Staff

I also vote Dayak Borneok - notice the aso on the outside of the quiver and the deity on the cylinder.....Dayak motifs........
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 04:16 PM   #14
asomotif

The hook also makes me say dayak.
Surely looks like an aso/asu figure to me.
Although a style that I know no other examples of.
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 04:22 PM   #15
Dajak

Hi Willem show us an pic off your sumpitan it is one off the best I did ever see

Ben
Old 15th February 2008, 03:40 PM   #16
asomotif

Mmmm

You show me yours, I'll show you mine...

Ps. they are not for sale / nor trade or whatever.
Attached Images

Old 15th February 2008, 05:02 PM   #17
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

VERY NICE EXAMPLES I CAN SEE WHY YOU WOULD NOT WISH TO SELL THEM.

FROM THE PICTURE IT APPEARS THAT ONE BLADE HAS A PATTERN BUT I CAN'T TELL FOR SURE. THE OTHER BLADE IS A VERY UNUSUAL FORM I HAVE NOT SEEN BEFORE. I THINK THE LITTLE METAL PIECE STICKING UP OPPOSITE FROM THE BLADE IS USED FOR SIGHTING CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG. THE ONES I SHOT IN BORNEO WITH THE PUNAN DID NOT HAVE BLADES OR SIGHTS SO I HAVE NEVER USED ONE WITH A SIGHT BEFORE.
I HAVE USED A MODERN METAL VERSION OF THE JIVARO BLOWGUN FOR HUNTING SMALL CRITTERS IN THE PAST ,I GOT IT IN THE 1960'S AND IT IS QUITE ACCURATE BUT HAS NO SIGHT.

I WAS LOOKING AT THE PICTURE OF THE HUNTER I POSTED ABOVE AND I MAY HAVE BEEN WRONG SAYING IT WAS A PIG AS IT ALSO RESEMBLES A SMALL TYPE OF JUNGLE DEER FOUND IN SOME AREAS.

Last edited by VANDOO; 16th February 2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 15th February 2008, 06:37 PM   #18
Dajak

Ok Willem here are mine Sumpitan s

Ben
Attached Images

Old 21st February 2008, 03:10 AM   #19
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THE MAJORITY OF THE BLOWGUNS I HAVE SEEN IN INDO CHINA (MALAYSIA, BORNEO, ECT) HAVE BEEN OF THE ROUND SORT AND NOT HAVING A LARGE MOUTHPIECE ADDED TO THE END. THE QUIVERS ARE USUALLY MADE OF BAMBOO AND THE DARTS USE A PITH CONE ON THE END TO SEAL THE DART IN THE TUBE. THEY ALSO HAVE A SPEAR BLADE AND METAL SIGHT, WHICH IS NOT USED IN SOUTH AMERICA. I HAVE SEEN ONE OF THE SHORT RECTANGLER ONES SAID TO BE MORO BUT THERE WAS NO PROVENANCE.

THE ONES USED IN SOUTH AMERICA ARE EITHER ROUND OR A FLAT RECTANGLER SHAPED. THE ROUND ONES HAVE THE LARGE MOUTHPIECE AND THE RETANGULAR DO NOT HAVE A MOUTH PIECE. BOTH STYLES OF THE SOUTH AMERICAN BLOWGUNS DO NOT HAVE A SPEAR BLADE. THE DART QUIVERS ARE OFTEN VERY SIMPLY MADE FROM PLANT FIBERS AND ALL USE SOME FORM OF PLANT FIBER LIKE (COTTON OR KAPOK) ON THE END TO SEAL THE LONG SPLINTER OR THORN. I THINK THERE IS A LARGER SET OF DARTS, POISON AND KAPOK THAT MAY BE LEFT AT THE CAMP WHILE HUNTING I HAVE SUCH A SET. JUST A SMALLER QUIVER WITH DARTS ALREADY PREPARED FOR USE WAS PROBABLY TAKEN ON THE HUNT. THE BLOWGUNS ARE QUITE LONG AND SOMETIMES HAVE A SIGHT MADE OF BONES OR TEETH FROM VARIOUS ANIMALS, PROBABLY TO BRING LUCK ON THE HUNT.

PICTURES ADDED ARE ALL DAYAK, SUMPIT MOUTHPEICE, BLADE, DARTS AND A TOOL FOR MAKING DARTS.
THERE IS ANOTHER BLOWGUN MADE IN THE FORM OF A DRAGON WITH A SMALL CONTAINER FOR DARTS. THE DRAGONS TAIL IS REMOVED AND THE DART INSERTED AND LEAVES THRU THE DRAGONS MOUTH. I HAVE SEEN THESE MADE OF HORN AND BONE SINCE THE 1960'S. I SUSPECT THEY ARE MADE FOR TOURISTS RATHER THAN FOR ACTUAL USE. BUT THEY ARE NEAT LOOKING.

MY THANKS TO THERION ARMS FOR SOME OF THE PICTURES I HOPE HE DOSEN'T MIND MY USING THEM FOR EXAMPLES.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 21st February 2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 21st February 2008, 03:26 AM   #20
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

SOUTH AMERICAN EXAMPLES FOR COMPARISON, JIVARO PREPARING DARTS, BLOWGUN AND QUIVER WITH DARTS.
Attached Images

Old 21st February 2008, 09:06 PM   #21
VANDOO
(deceased)

TWO MORE FROM SOUTH AMERICA. 1. YAGUAS TRIBE PERU, HUNTER WITH A LONG BLOWGUN. 2. 1960 HUAORANI WARRIOR WITH BLOWGUN, CLUB, POISON POT AND SHRUNKEN HEAD.
Attached Images

Old 21st February 2008, 09:20 PM   #22
Albert

The picture that Vandoo posted of the natives of Makassar, is very interesting. Not only for its age or because of the blowguns, but also for the hilt of the short sword one of them carries. It is a type I do not know, and it seems to resemble the hilts from the Batak on Sumatra. I am very curious about the source of the picture! Can you help?
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 02:22 AM   #23
VANDOO
(deceased)

THE PICTURE WAS A PAGE FROM A OLD BOOK OFFERED FOR SALE ON EBAY MANY BOOKS ARE BEING TORN UP AND THE PLATES BEING SOLD ON EBAY FOR MORE THAN YOU CAN GET SELLING THE ENTIRE BOOKS. THAT IS ALL THE INFORMATION THAT WAS GIVEN ON EBAY SO I DON'T KNOW WHO DID THE DRAWING PERHAPS SOMEONE FRAMILIAR WITH THE HISTORY OF THE AREA AT THAT TIME PERIOD COULD GUESS WHAT EUROPEAN COUNTRY WAS INVOLVED THERE AT THE TIME.

I THINK WHAT YOU ARE SEEING IN THE PICTURE IS THE DART CASE IN THE FRONT OF THE BELT OF THE CENTER WARRIOR. WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE HANDLE OF A KNIFE IS ACTUALLY THE ENDS OF SEVERAL DARTS WITH PITH OR FIBER ON THEM, READY TO GRAB AND LOAD AND SHOOT. I WONDER IF THE DRAWING IS ACURATE FOR THE SHAPE OF THE DART CASES OR IF THEY WERE THE ROUND BAMBOO ONES WHICH ARE USUALLY FOUND. PERHAPS A QUIVER OF THAT SHAPE WILL SHOW UP?.
Old 22nd February 2008, 06:56 AM   #24
Nonoy Tan

Here is a blowgun from the Philippines. It is made of wood. The rattan binding that holds the spearhead and sight in place has worn off and has been replaced by nylon string. I am unsure of its exact origin in the Philippines, but suspect that it comes from one of the Negrito tribes (possibly the Agta/Aeta of Luzon) or the Ilongot (of Northeastern Luzon).
Attached Images

Old 22nd February 2008, 09:21 PM   #25
Albert

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
THE PICTURE WAS A PAGE FROM A OLD BOOK OFFERED FOR SALE ON EBAY MANY BOOKS ARE BEING TORN UP AND THE PLATES BEING SOLD ON EBAY FOR MORE THAN YOU CAN GET SELLING THE ENTIRE BOOKS. THAT IS ALL THE INFORMATION THAT WAS GIVEN ON EBAY SO I DON'T KNOW WHO DID THE DRAWING PERHAPS SOMEONE FRAMILIAR WITH THE HISTORY OF THE AREA AT THAT TIME PERIOD COULD GUESS WHAT EUROPEAN COUNTRY WAS INVOLVED THERE AT THE TIME.

I THINK WHAT YOU ARE SEEING IN THE PICTURE IS THE DART CASE IN THE FRONT OF THE BELT OF THE CENTER WARRIOR. WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE HANDLE OF A KNIFE IS ACTUALLY THE ENDS OF SEVERAL DARTS WITH PITH OR FIBER ON THEM, READY TO GRAB AND LOAD AND SHOOT. I WONDER IF THE DRAWING IS ACURATE FOR THE SHAPE OF THE DART CASES OR IF THEY WERE THE ROUND BAMBOO ONES WHICH ARE USUALLY FOUND. PERHAPS A QUIVER OF THAT SHAPE WILL SHOW UP?.
Now I see, it indeed is a quiver with darts. Never seen this shape before!
It is a pity that destroying books (and in the process losing the provenace) generates more money than selling the complete one.
Old 3rd March 2008, 11:55 AM   #26
asomotif

A small group of borneo quivers and other bamboo containers.
Jus a 'little bit' out of focus
Attached Images

Old 3rd March 2008, 11:16 PM   #27
kai

Hello Albert,

Quote:
The picture that Vandoo posted of the natives of Makassar, is very interesting. Not only for its age or because of the blowguns, but also for the hilt of the short sword one of them carries.
I'm missing something: A sword hilt figured on the old print with the 3 native blow-gunners? Help!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 12:00 PM   #28
Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Albert,

I'm missing something: A sword hilt figured on the old print with the 3 native blow-gunners? Help!

Regards,
Kai
Hello Kai,

My mistake, the 'sword hilt' appears to be a bundle of blow-darts butts.

Albert
Old 15th July 2009, 03:53 PM   #29
Sajen

Hello,

I hope it's ok that I reactivate this threat again. Today I received my last e-bay buy, a "Tolor" from Palawan. Since I have a nice Tolor from Dayak-tribe I want to share both with you and show the differents between both.
If the different size is typical is difficult to say by only two items for compare.
The Dayak quiver is 29 cm and the one from Palawan is 49 cm long. But the belt hook seems for both typical when you look to the other shown quiver before. The same is it with the rattan bindings like Dayak note before. Very different look the darts.
Here at first both quiver side by side.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 03:58 PM   #30
Sajen

Here some close ups from the Dayak quiver.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote