Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th April 2011, 12:09 AM   #1
archer

Default Posting Pictures Policy ??

Hi, as one who frequently refers back to old informative posts, I find a lot that are simply linked to E Bay photos and are long gone. Taking time to copy and upload photos makes comments made helpful in the archives. Just a pet peeve
of mine.
archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 03:17 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

AMEN!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 08:13 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Angry ....and another similar issue

..................are those endless links to Photobuckets!! If a thread is worth presenting, surely attached photos also are worth presenting!
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 09:21 AM   #4
migueldiaz

for certain images you see on your computer screen that can't be copied, in mac one can use command-shift-4. in windows, there's this how-to.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

I would like to see (at the very least) permanent uploaded examples of the object under discussion . If one has a similar item in their possesion for comparison, then it too should be uploaded.

When one wants to show us a separate page of another's making at another address (The Mount Merapi post) for example; then a link should be used .

On the other hand hotlinking to others' sites is discouraged as it is bandwidth theft .

Last edited by Rick; 14th April 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 04:43 PM   #6
laEspadaAncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
..................are those endless links to Photobuckets!! If a thread is worth presenting, surely attached photos also are worth presenting!

While I suckets at the (Photo)buckets, I have always uploaded my photos to Imageshack.

However, this has always been done with the intent of reducing the traffic and storage space on the VS server, always with the best intentions. I thought I was doing a good thing.
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Bring 'em on .
Upload !
We'll make the space !

All things end .
There is no saving space or much else of worth after you or your pictures are gone from a thread .
Old 14th April 2011, 05:09 PM   #8
kronckew

photobucket is good for inline photos, you can label them underneath. attachment uploaded photos get plopped at the end in an unlabelled mass.

photobucket is set up so you are using their bandwidth, they expect you to link.

OK as long as you do not delete or move your photos there, or until photobucket goes out of business.it's a pain in the ... if your photo goes walkies.

vbulletin 4 has much improved inline attachment and other photo upload capabilities, hopefully we'll be able to upgrade at some point. we just upgraded to 4.1.3 on the firewall forum i help moderate and love it.

& if you have space, keeping your attachments on the forum server is the way to go.

Last edited by kronckew; 14th April 2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: had to walk dog
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Aleksey G.

Default Windows Image capture

Guys a little tip for the windows users, especially if you dont have any additional graphics software. Any windows keyboard (or at least 99% of em) will have a "PrtScn" button translated - PrintScreen... it will capture the screen you are looking at.
That button is usually in the top right corner of the keyboard but can be in other location especially on the smaller laptop keyboards.

So how is this helpful? if you cant right click and save the image some some reason on ebay or another place. Just make sure you are looking at that image at is best quality on your screen and then click "PrnScn" button.

Then go to > Programs > Accesories > Paint (or Paint Editor)

Once there go to top menu > Edit > Paste. OR YOU CAN JUST CLICK "Ctrl +V" combination of keys. This will paste your screen you were looking at into the Paint program.

Then just crop out the image using the crop tool inside paint, once the image is cropped to go FILE > Save and Save it as a JPEG (JPG) image...

Then you are set and you can upload it.

Alex

P.S. > one thing to add, if image does not have a watermark I would recommend adding a small credit in text in your message with images
Aleksey G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 05:55 PM   #10
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksey G.
Guys a little tip for the windows users, especially if you dont have any additional graphics software. Any windows keyboard (or at least 99% of em) will have a "PrtScn" button translated - PrintScreen... it will capture the screen you are looking at.
That button is usually in the top right corner of the keyboard but can be in other location especially on the smaller laptop keyboards.

So how is this helpful? if you cant right click and save the image some some reason on ebay or another place. Just make sure you are looking at that image at is best quality on your screen and then click "PrnScn" button.

Then go to > Programs > Accesories > Paint (or Paint Editor)

Once there go to top menu > Edit > Paste. OR YOU CAN JUST CLICK "Ctrl +V" combination of keys. This will paste your screen you were looking at into the Paint program.

Then just crop out the image using the crop tool inside paint, once the image is cropped to go FILE > Save and Save it as a JPEG (JPG) image...

Then you are set and you can upload it.

Alex

P.S. > one thing to add, if image does not have a watermark I would recommend adding a small credit in text in your message with images

yo, wassup, bro!!!

i'm with kronkew... inline photo insertion helps a lot esp. if you're trying to explain something...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 07:34 PM   #11
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
photobucket is good for inline photos, you can label them underneath. attachment uploaded photos get plopped at the end in an unlabelled mass.

photobucket is set up so you are using their bandwidth, they expect you to link.

OK as long as you do not delete or move your photos there, or until photobucket goes out of business.it's a pain in the ... if your photo goes walkies.

vbulletin 4 has much improved inline attachment and other photo upload capabilities, hopefully we'll be able to upgrade at some point. we just upgraded to 4.1.3 on the firewall forum i help moderate and love it.

& if you have space, keeping your attachments on the forum server is the way to go.
There's been some talk about 4 ..
Old 15th April 2011, 12:10 AM   #12
A. G. Maisey

When it comes to computers I'm pretty much of a deadhead.

I find a great deal of difficulty in following more than two actions to achieve a result.

When I want to copy an image that is on a website I right click on the image and then click 'save image as', this puts the image into 'my pictures', once its there I can massage it with photoshop or picassa or whatever and then just post it into wherever I want.

Maybe there are images that cannot be saved in this way, but I haven't yet encountered one.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 01:38 AM   #13
Spunjer

hi alan,
ebay pics can't be picked that way (the right click method). i'm referring to the pics that are downloaded on ebay itself by the seller. i guess it's java scripted?
Old 15th April 2011, 05:46 AM   #14
A. G. Maisey

Thanks for reminding me of that, Spunjer.

If ebay is the problem, there's another way to do it.

I didn't mention this, because I almost never look at anything on ebay I want to copy a picture of, so ebay just didn't occur to me, but anyway, the easy way to copy an ebay photo is to enlarge the photo, click on the photo from the right hand side that you want to copy, when this appears you right click on the photo, click on 'page info', click on 'media', click on 'save as', and you save in 'my pictures'. Then you can do whatever you want with it.

The attached image was lifted from a completed ebay auction in this way, it was photoshopped a little --- just to demonstrate that it is possible

Like I said, I'm a lot more comfortable with a horse and buggy than I am with a computer, but a few of the things I've been told along the way I sometimes can remember.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 07:32 AM   #15
Spunjer

Thanks for that tip as well, Alan! Believe it or not, i was boggled by this exact problem just this past week (ebay)...
Old 16th April 2011, 12:14 AM   #16
Hotspur

A question about the attachment function and tags, as another board uses vb and has a paperclip icon to place thumbs inline to text in context/description.

I don't know if ing and pic smallpic tags work here. Let's see.

[pic]http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=70237&stc=1[/pic]

[smallpic]http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=70237&stc=1[/smallpic]

Maybe, maybe not but let's see. If not, maybe the current build can be tweaked to allow inline thumbs.

Cheers

GC

Nope. I guess not
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote