Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th September 2008, 04:36 PM   #31
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
... I liive in San Juan, PR, a paradisical island which also happens to be the most violent corner of the good ol'USA. ...
So you are a Porto Riquenho and not an Espanhol ?
How in hell did i create the idea that you lived in my neighbour country ?
Let me correct my mind files

Fernando
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 05:34 PM   #32
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando

Fernando
Let me go back to square one; i have found the following by coincidence. Remember ?:

I'm am eclectic combination of Galician, Basque, Asturian and Lionese. But that's too long to say, I guess that Spanish-American is more practical.
Now, besides the vino, tortillas and chorizos, I also enjoy Fried Chicken, Pizzas and Apple Pie...
Vive la difference!

So
Old 14th September 2008, 05:39 PM   #33
celtan

I'm originally galician, but I have lived in PR for many years, one of many places I have been.

I sincerely believe that when you live in a country, whether you are born there or not, the local culture and mores rub on you, and by virtue of this you become part of that country. So I guess that in that sense, yes , I'm also puertoriqueno, just like I also am a Yankee-Doodle-Dandy, to boot!

Cheers

: )

M

Quote:

Fernando
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 05:09 AM   #34
kahnjar1

Smile DEFINATELY BOTH BIRMINGHAM MARKS

Quote:
... plus a different chamber rotating lock ... an inverted turning lever instead of the horizontal sliding wedge; the various lubricating orifices ... a luxury detail. But also a difference in the frame, in the back upper part; and the hexagonal barrel that, besides having exterior sharper lines, has an usually seen and highly esthetical three rifle bore. As i said before, the global appearance of an Adams, but with a lot of alterations. This thing must have had a price much above that of an ordinary revolver from massive production.

MOST unusual, you say ? Now you surprise me
Could it be because the seller was established in both London and Birmingham that he wanted to test his units in both proof houses ?

Fernando
Hi Fernando,
Those are DEFINATELY BOTH Birmingham Proof Marks. The one on the left of the pic is the VIEW MARK and the other the DEFINITIVE MARK. I have attached here (and I hope you can read it clearly) a scan of a book page showing both marks. I hope it is of interest. You will note that the London VIEW MARK in use from 1813 is a crowned V.
Regards Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 10:25 PM   #35
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
... Those are DEFINATELY BOTH Birmingham Proof Marks ...
Man, your'e right .
When i bought this revolver eight years ago, i didn't yet have my Directory of proof marks. I instinctly thaught at the time that, having two marks on the barrel and cylinder, those would be from the two proof houses. I never had a real look to the marks ... something unusual for my character, i should say.
Thanks for having corrected me, Stu
Fernando
Old 16th September 2008, 05:39 AM   #36
kahnjar1

Quote:
Man, your'e right .
When i bought this revolver eight years ago, i didn't yet have my Directory of proof marks. I instinctly thaught at the time that, having two marks on the barrel and cylinder, those would be from the two proof houses. I never had a real look to the marks ... something unusual for my character, i should say.
Thanks for having corrected me, Stu
Fernando
My pleasure Fernando. Most, if not all British Proved guns, whether Birmingham or London proved, have both a VIEW and a DEFINATIVE mark and often other marks relating to calibre/bore and type of powder for which they were proved. ALL foreign made guns which were imported by retailers for sale, were also submitted for proof at one of the proof houses. This did not necessarily apply to guns imported by "joe public" for his own use, but if he then wished to sell his gun, he would have to (or should) submit it to be proved first.
A cumbersome process but it at least safeguarded the user to a large degree.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote