Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th October 2014, 11:38 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default WWII Filipino Sword???

Here's one for the Philippines aficionados in the group. This is not really my area (when i buy filipino weapons they are usually Moro and insurrection era), but when i saw it at the antique mall today it just sorta called me. My guess is that it is end of WWII based on the use of aluminum on the ferrule and eagle crest and the fact that the banner says "Victory".
The blade is fierce and razor sharp. The length is about 19 3/4 in. and the thickness is about 1/4 in. at the base. It is flat on one side and sort of convex on the other, not unlike a mandau. Feels very good and well balanced in hand with a nice weight.
The guard and bands seem to be brass. The guard is quite solid, firm yet springy.
The hilt appears to be horn with some paint on it (note the red around the mouth).
Sorry about the photos. Just quickies with the iPhone, but hopefully they are good enough for an ID.
I would like to know more about what tribal affiliation this blade might have, it's proper name and if you think i have the dating on it correct. Thanks!
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 01:02 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi David:

Interesting WWII-era piece. Looks like a dressed up sword from the western Visayas--probably from Panay. As you say, the aluminum decorations are a good guide to age. It's not the traditional daemon figure on the hilt, but there are quite a few examples with mythical creatures as well, "dragons" and such.

Good find.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 01:19 AM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hi David:

Interesting WWII-era piece. Looks like a dressed up sword from the western Visayas--probably from Panay. As you say, the aluminum decorations are a good guide to age. It's not the traditional daemon figure on the hilt, but there are quite a few examples with mythical creatures as well, "dragons" and such.

Good find.

Ian.
May be a "dress up sword", but the blade certainly means business. Is there a proper name you know for this type?
I was wondering if it might have been a presentation piece of some sort, but i would certainly not hesitate to grab this one in a fight.
My first thought on the figure was Godzilla and much to my amusement i turned on the telly to a Godzilla festival.
Old 5th October 2014, 01:32 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

I think that I would call it a tenegre. If it wasn't for the tapered scabbard tip I might have guessed that this could have been an older sword refitted to a more modern taste. Either way I like it. The antique malls around where I live have little to no edged weapons at all anymore. It seems as if everyone thinks that ebay is the answer to where to dispose of Dad's or Granddad's old junk. Congratulation on your new addition.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 02:04 AM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Robert. I don't think the antique malls around here are any better than around you. In the 16 years i've lived here the only other thing i have ever found worth buying was an old and unusual mandau which i finally traded to someone here on these boards.
I wondered if the blade might be older, but then i get the feeling this is all an original match as the blade suits the sheath so well (one of the things that was attractive about it for me) so WWII seems the most logical conclusion to me.
Old 5th October 2014, 03:01 AM   #6
Spunjer

Thumbs up

nice catch, David! yes, definitely WW2 era. a lot of these were made not necessarily for tourist consumption, but rather as souvenirs for G.I.'s during that time period. on the same note, i'm starting to think why moro weapons became more flamboyant at the turn of the century, which is for the same reason...
check out Springfield area antique malls; i found quite a few pieces from that area.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 09:31 AM   #7
Sajen

Hello David,

agree with the others, a WWII area tenegre, nice one. Here my one with an other blade shape from the same time frame: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=visayan

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 04:49 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Detlef. Anyone else have examples of these for further comparison?
Old 5th October 2014, 05:09 PM   #9
Sajen

Here one which was sold not so long ago by ebay. I believe that this one is from the same time frame.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 02:07 AM   #10
Spunjer

not quite the same blade style, but the scabbard is identical. instead of leather chaff like yours, the one on mine is brass.
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 04:11 AM   #11
David
Keris forum moderator

Wow, that's a beauty Ron. These examples are helpful, thanks!
Old 7th October 2014, 02:27 AM   #12
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yes Ron your mounts on this one are brass. Ron's is a great example and rare - the horn is albino carabao horn!

There were a lot of these blades made for GIs, but this one is nice.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote