Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th February 2014, 08:54 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Caledonian bird head club;calling Vandoo

I have what I believe to be a Caledonian Bird head club; it doesn't necessarily fit all of the criteria, i.e. the pommel, etc. however it is close enough.It measures approx. 20 " in length, the bird head is approx. 9.5" long and 3 " wide as well as the handle being 1.75 " in dia. at it's widest.
What I don't understand is the wrap;is it a repair or does it serve some other purpose.It appears to be some type of processed bark with a hemp wrap.I hope I didn't appear to be too familiar by invoking your name Vandoo, but you seem to know quite a bit about clubs ;any others who might wish to comment would also be appreciated !
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 04:00 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

These seem to come in various forms. I like the version with a more round almost circular head. I have these two. I was unsure about the more yellow colour wood club being from New Caledonia, but I recently viewed a stone club with the same handle end. It is quite a departure from the usual form. The wrap is seen on all types of New Caledonia weapons trade cloth as well as plant fibers. I have read some authors suggesting that these would not work as fighting weapons {some are clearly not weapons} as the points are deemed to delicate. Why they say this I do not know. Have they not handled Oceanic wooden spears and arrows? Every bit as fine and often very delicately carved. I can only think that these authors have never practiced any martial arts. I would not want to be hit by one, imagine being hit in the face, like your eye. I would think a good blow to the chest would fracture a sternum. Also you have to think that traditional fighting would be undertaken almost naked. I would very much like to find good publications on Kanak art but have not found any. There are some French publications rarely seen and rather expensive. It would be nice to learn more.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 04:22 PM   #3
drac2k

Thank you for your impute;your 2 examples are wonderful.It was nice to learn that the cloth with binding is common, however what purpose does it serve ?
In regards to their effectiveness, I agree, that the experienced practitioner of this club could readily dispatch an adversary with either the blunt end of the birdhead or the pointed end.
Old 3rd March 2014, 09:07 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I HAVE ENCOUNTERED THE NEW CALEDONIAN BIRD HEAD CLUBS WITH THE FIBER SUCH AS YOURS HAS AS WELL AS PIECES OF CLOTH AND CORD. I WONDER IF THE CLOTH SERVES A PURPOSE SUCH AS IT DOES ON PHILIPPINE WEAPONS AS A ANTING ANTING OR JUST TO IMPROVE THE GRIP . THE FIBER WRAP ON YOUR EXAMPLE OCCURS NATURALLY ON PALM TREES AND IS WHAT COVERS AND PROTECTS THE NEW LEAF BEFORE IT DEVELOPS AND SPROUTS OUT. THE NATURAL FIBER SHEATHS HAVE SEVERAL USES AND ARE READY MADE BY THE TREES.
HERE ARE SEVERAL VARIOUS TYPES OF THIS CLUB YOURS IS ONE OF THE TRADITIONAL FORM.
#1. A VARIATION OF THE FORM, IT WAS REFERRED TO AS TURTLE HEAD. IT HAS A VERY SHORT BEAK AND IS THICKER AND MORE ROUNDED AND IS A SELDOM SEEN FORM.
#2. #3. #4. TRADITIONAL BIRD HEAD FORM
#5. OLD 1890 PIC. OF NEW CALEDONIAN WARRIOR , TRADITIONAL BIRD HEAD CLUB
#6. BIRD HEAD CLUB
#7. 24 X 11 X 1.5 IN. BIRD HEAD CLUB
#8 & #9. VARIATION OF NEW CALEDONIAN BIRD HEAD CLUB, 79 CM. LONG
#10. BIRD HEAD CLUB.
#11. VARIATION OF BIRD HEAD CLUB.
#12. SOUVINEER FROM NEW CALDEONIAN CARVED ART, NON TRADITIONAL
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 4th March 2014 at 02:03 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 12:11 AM   #5
drac2k

Thanks for the reply.I couldn't help but notice by your post that you went to SOS show; do they also have ethnographic items there ?
Old 4th March 2014, 01:59 AM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

BOTH SHOWS HAVE ETHINOGRAPHIC ITEMS OUR MEMBERS WERE SET UP AT THE GUN SHOW BUT OTHER GOOD ETHINOGRAPHIC DEALERS WERE AT THE MILITARIA SHOW. THE SHOW OF SHOWS MILITARIA SHOW HAS MORE MEDALS, PATCHES, FLAGS AND SUCH IF YOU COLLECT IN THAT FIELD. JIMMY PICKED UP A NICE PHILIPPINE SWORD AND I GOT A VERY NICE KAMPILIAN AT THE SHOW OF SHOWS. SO BOTH SHOWS ARE WORTH THE PRICE OF ADMISSION AND I ALWAYS SEE A FEW THINGS I HAVE NEVER SEEN AND LEARN NEW THINGS AS WELL.
WHEN THE WEATHER CLEARS I WILL SEE IF I CAN TAKE SOME PICTURES OF MY BIRD HEAD CLUBS TO POST.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 04:15 AM   #7
drac2k

I look forward to the pictures.