Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 24th April 2017, 04:45 PM   #1
Will M

Default Urumi sword

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urumi

I came across this and thought someone here may have more info regarding these. I've never heard of one before.
Seems like a dangerous weapon for the opponent and user.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 12:35 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

I've seen two examples in southern India (Karnataka) but never seen one used. The examples I saw were of recent manufacture and made roughly from poor quality spring steel. They seemed like a novelty item, so I passed on them.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 06:23 AM   #3
ariel

Those are , of course, exaggerated versions of the real belt swords: very conventionally-looking but with thin blades capable of being wrapped around the waist. They have a hole on the tip and a button on the handle.

Tirri's collection had one. Elgood showed 2 examples in his book on South Indian weapons. The picture concentrated on the handle ends of them and did not show the entire blades. That was the reason one person of our mutual acquaintance boldly questioned the veracity of Elgood's description. Well....:-)

As a matter of fact, some Caucasian shashkas had very thin and springy blades and were kept fully bent in round flour sieves. So the idea is not limited to South India. The fighting capability of belt swords is unlikely to compare with traditional swords, but they were intended to be hidden weapons of the last resort.

The multibladed Kalaripayattu versions are in some way similar to Chinese chain whips. I suspect all of them are rather recent developments of martial arts schools.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 04:15 PM   #4
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Those are , of course, exaggerated versions of the real belt swords: very conventionally-looking but with thin blades capable of being wrapped around the waist. They have a hole on the tip and a button on the handle.

Tirri's collection had one. Elgood showed 2 examples in his book on South Indian weapons. The picture concentrated on the handle ends of them and did not show the entire blades. That was the reason one person of our mutual acquaintance boldly questioned the veracity of Elgood's description. Well....:-)

As a matter of fact, some Caucasian shashkas had very thin and springy blades and were kept fully bent in round flour sieves. So the idea is not limited to South India. The fighting capability of belt swords is unlikely to compare with traditional swords, but they were intended to be hidden weapons of the last resort.

The multibladed Kalaripayattu versions are in some way similar to Chinese chain whips. I suspect all of them are rather recent developments of martial arts schools.
the shashka have stiff blades. the story of them being bent 360 like that is a test of quality if you could take a handled example and in the mouth of a barrel roll the blade round to a full circle and then the demonstrator grasping the handle withdraw it form the mouth of the barrel and it spring true without a bend then its to be of good quality. crazy but i guess impressive way to test it
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 11:53 PM   #5
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M
... I've never heard of one before.
Seems like a dangerous weapon for the opponent and user.
see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAsCuDFSUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuaU9ceXogA
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote