Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th December 2014, 04:42 PM   #1
trenchwarfare

Default ID Of Sword Please

I recently saw this sword, and have never seen anything like it. Sorry didn't take a picture. I submit this crude drawing instead. Blade is approx. 30" long, 2 1/2" wide at the tip. Sharpened on one side, and on the tip. Watered steel. Tang is half-round in cross section, with a single, thin rattan wrap. Pommel is flat, and the spike looks applied. Scabbard is a single piece of bamboo, split on one side, and wrapped around the perimeter of the blade. Throat is secured by a narrow rattan wrap. Condition is excellent. The owner says it is from the Philippines. He is a collector, and appraiser, but has been found to be wrong on occasion. My gut tells me it is an early form of Dha? There's nothing like it in Stone, or any other of my books. Whatizzit?
Attached Images

trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Interesting question TW!

This example is very unlikely to be from the Philippines.

The sheath is very similar to the constructions used by the Aka people of Assam/Tibet. The usual sword to occupy this sheath is one they make themselves which has a long (48 inch), single-edged blade with a handle that varies in length, sometimes allowing a two-handed use. These very long swords were called wetzpa, while shorter ones were called wetzfa and dao were called wetza (Heath, 1999). The shorter swords were often of Tibetan manufacture.

Photographs of a similar example appear on The Dha Index (no. C0047) and can be found here: http://dharesearch.bowditch.us/C0047.htm. That example is referred to as "a Kachin type dao?," but that attribution would be incorrect based on the evidence provided by Heath.

I feel fairly confident in identifying this one as Aka in origin, probably with a Tibetan blade. An unusual and interesting piece. I would be interested in buying it if it were for sale.

Ian.

Heath, I. Armies of the 19th Century: Asia. 3. North-East India. Foundry Books: Guernsey, 1999, p. 29
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 12:26 AM   #3
trenchwarfare

Thanks Ian. The sword in question, is very much like the one in the link. I may have the orientation of the scabbard, reversed. Might get to see it again, this weekend.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote