Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th December 2014, 10:07 PM   #1
DaveS

Default Sulawesi Sumara

Here for viewing is a sumara from Sulawesi. The blade is 19 inches long, 24 inches at the bend of the horn handle. These swords must be fairly rare, as this is the first one Iv'e come across in many years. It is also a twist-core, and with my weakness for twist-cores I just had to have it. Oh God !!!, that can be an expensive weakness too. There is a two inch open weld in the middle of the blade, but aside from that it is in very good shape. Unfortunately there is no scabbard. Looking at the shape of the blade it reminds me somewhat of a Mandau. Which is not surprising, given that Sulawesi is close to Borneo. I also wonder if they might have learned the twist-core technique from the Moros. I got this from Artzi, and couldn't believe that it took just three days to deliver from Israel to California. It almost takes that long for a letter to go from one end of this state to the other.............Dave.
Attached Images

DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Sajen

Hello Dave,

beautiful sword! When you ever get tired to look at it.........

Here is a thread which will be for interest for you: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=Sumara

Would be nice when you add pictures from your one to this thread, they are very rare and the thread can be a good reference for this swords!

Again, congrats for adding this sword to your collection.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 03:00 AM   #3
DaveS

Default Sulawesi Sumara

Detlef: Thank you kindly. I checked that thread out and they had some really neat ones, especially the ones with the hair. Like I said, this is the first one I have run across in all these years of collecting, especially one with a twist-core. Maybe because we were mostly concentrating on the many types of krises that these just kind of escaped our attention.......Dave.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote