Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd December 2014, 12:54 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Snail

coming from the same dealer as the indian doggy hilted sword i just posted here.

polynesian snail club. 'ironwood' of some sort. no further details yet.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 05:27 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A NICE LOOKING FIJI CLUB, IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO GET SOME INFORMATION ON THE FORM WHEN YOU HAVE IT IN HAND. I HAVE NOT HANDLED ONE OF THESE AND HAVE ONLY SEEN PICTURES SO I WONDER ABOUT ITS DESIGN. THE SPIKE IS THE SAME AS ON GATA AND SALI FORMS OF FIJI CLUBS BUT INSTEAD OF THE CURVED STRIKING EDGE IT HAS A ROUND SNAIL FORM STRIKING AREA. DOES THE ROUNDED PART HAVE AN EDGE OR IS IT BLUNT AND DESIGNED FOR IMPACT LIKE A HAMMER?. I LOOK FORWARD TO FURTHER INFORMATION ON THE CLUB PATINA, SIZE DESIGN AND FUNCTION.
THERE ARE PICTURES OF 3 EXAMPLES OF THIS FORM IN MY POST ON FIJI CLUBS PAGE TWO UNDER SALI CLUBS.
PLATE #10 IN CLUNNIES BOOK SHOWS A PLATE OF DRAWINGS FROM THE REVEREND THOMAS WILLIAMS BOOK ON FIJI AND THIS FORM OF CLUB IS REPRESENTED AS A GATA WITH UNUSUAL SNAIL SHAPED HEAD. I THINK THE REVEREND WAS IN FIJI CIRCA 1840 TO 1884 SO THIS FORM OF CLUB IS NOT JUST A RECENT DESIGN AS I HAD THOUGHT.
HERE IS A PICTURE OF A SIMILAR CLUB AND A PICTURE OF A OLD BOOK PLATE I AM NOT SURE IF ITS FROM REVEREND WILLIAMS BOOK OR NOT.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 12:26 PM   #3
kronckew

club arived:

370 grams, 50 cm. long, 13 cm. across the 'snail', 2.5 cm. thick. looks like palm wood. the snail's 'foot' tapers down parabolically to a rounded 'edge' (1). the snails 'shell' side tapers down to about a cm. wide flat contact surface (2).

about an inch longer than the touristy one (bottom) with the grass skirt.
Attached Images

Old 14th December 2014, 06:06 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

IT APPEARS TO BE A NICE VINTAGE EXAMPLE WITH THE TRADITIONAL PHALLIC END TO THE HANDLE. IT MAY HAVE HAD A FIBER WRAP ON THE GRIP OR NOT. THE EDGE OF THE SNAIL SHELL LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD SERVE WELL AS A HATCHET LIKE BONE BREAKER OR SKULL SPLITTER. THANKS FOR THE DESCRIPTION AND INFORMATION. MY DEFINITION OF VINTAGE FROM THE DAYS OF MY YOUTH BUT NOT OLDER THAN ME.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 08:16 AM   #5
kronckew

so, just under 100 yrs. old.