Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th September 2014, 04:48 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A T'boli or Bagobo Kampillan???

I saw this piece on it Ebay and it immediately caught my eye as it appealed to my fascination with cross cultural pieces. My biggest worry was that it might be a new piece like some others coming out of the Philippines now. Once I got it in hand that worry was put to rest as the piece is clearly old...I am guessing the first quarter of the 20th century. The blade showed old and active rust. This hilt was filthy with old dust and dirt and the brass/bronze guard was practically black, with some green patina. The hilt's wrapped cording was partially dry rotted.

I gave it a mild clean-up to at least get rid of the active rust and the superficial dirt and green patination and highlight the raised areas of the guard. I also acted to try to preserve what was left of the 2 hilt wrap cordings.

The piece immediately reminds one of a Moro kampillan, and no doubt takes its overall concept from the kampillan, but once you get into the details, especially regarding the hilt, it bares little resemblance to a Moro version. Only the modest wave motive carved on the hilt hints at Moro aesthetics, perhaps along with the circular motif.

The blade is just slightly shorter and lighter than a Moro kampillan and shows a very well defined heat treated area. Note the chiseled motifs to the spine.

The oddly shaped brass/bronze guard has a knuckle protector and is cast with the lost wax method. It is attached to a wooden hilt and pommel carved to host two rows of brass rings to the bottom(these being carved almost identically to what we might see on a Bagobo scabbard) and one row to the top, with 4 at the end of the pommel.

Overall length: 37in.
Blade length: 27in.
Overall hilt length: 10in.
Brass guard: 2in. wide and the actual guard is 4.5in. from top to bottom.

The first few pics here show the piece in its original condition. The last few are after a mild clean-up.

So, is this T'boli?? Bagobo??...I suppose we could even suggest that it is a Moro variant, but I would have a hard time buying that as the hilt simply diverges too much from Moro styles.

I am anxious to hear the opinions of other Moro and Philippine weapons collectors!!
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 12th September 2014 at 05:03 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

Nice sword .
You could certainly attach a few bells to that guard; maybe that argues for your idea Charles .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 07:04 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Nice kamp Charles! I think the blade is most likely "Moro" (Maguindanao or Maranao) but the hilt is distinctly "Lumad."

The guard looks very much like to T'boli work, especially the brass loops. The carving is harder to place--could be T'boli, Bagobo, Kaolu, etc. I would say this piece was put together in south-eastern Mindanao by one of the indigenous Lumad tribes using a Maguindanao blade. If there was a scabbard it might have told us more about which Lumad tribe.

My guess is that this one is from the T'boli, although their own version of a kampilan is pretty good if somewhat shorter.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 09:54 PM   #4
CharlesS

Rick: I never even thought about the bells! Good thought!

Ian: Thanks for your input. Do you think I am about right on the date being around the first quarter of the 20th century? I can't imagine it being any older.
Old 12th September 2014, 11:20 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Great find! I agree with Ian it's probably T'boli. They are known for lots of brass/bronze casting abilities. I also see the holes for T'boli hawk bells. Moro trade blade. Even the pattern on the "nose" of the hilt is T'boli.

I think your age is reasonable (really, really old! ).......er........I mean being from the 1st quarter of the 20th century.

In any case I love it!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 11:28 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Ian: Thanks for your input. Do you think I am about right on the date being around the first quarter of the 20th century? I can't imagine it being any older.
Yes, Charles, I think you have a good estimate of age on this one. The blade is probably older than the hilt. Early to mid-20th C seems right for the hilt.

Very interesting and attractive sword!

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 05:17 AM   #7
Marbel

My humble vote is against T'boli. The motifs and patterns are decidedly not T'boli, which are generally very specific. The "loops" where chains and bells may have hung is also not T'boli patterned. The loops, patterns and other shapes point to more Bagobo influence.
Marbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 07:58 PM   #8
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I FIND IT ESPECIALLY ATTRACTIVE EVEN AMONG KAMPILIANS. I AGREE THE TIBOLI HAVE SURE PUT THEIR MARK ON THIS ONE. (DROOL) IF YOU EVER DECIDE TO PART WITH IT LET ME KNOW.
I THINK THERE WAS A KAMPILIAN WITH A CAST BRASS GUARD IN A OLD FORUM POST BUT THE POMMEL CARVING WAS TRADITIONAL MORO AND ONLY THE METAL GUARD UNUSUAL. A VERY UNUSUAL AND ATTRACTIVE VARIATION AND I AGREE ON THE AGE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Sajen

Hello Charles,

very interesting kampy. Agree with you and the others about origin and age. A very rare piece!
Any signs that it has had once hair at the handle?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 12:58 PM   #10
CharlesS

Hi Detlef,

Thanks for your comments. No, definitely no hair on this one. I think that brass rings and bells would have taken the place of hair at the base of the hilt.

Thanks again.
Old 14th September 2014, 06:52 PM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

The rope motif and motif on the nose as well as the loops for me point to T'boli. The Bagobo were very close though, easy to confuse.
Old 14th September 2014, 07:25 PM   #12
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Sandcast brass Kampy guard .
Attached Images

Old 4th March 2015, 06:59 PM   #13
CharlesS

Battara has recently restored this in a typically T'boli style with brass chains and antique T'boli bells.
Attached Images

Old 4th March 2015, 10:53 PM   #14
Battara
EAAF Staff

I did this in T'boli fashion since as Ian mentioned, the characteristics lean more toward T'boli rather than Bagobo, especially on the cross guard.

Notice that the small chains on the top "jaw" fill in the place of hair on Maguindanao/Maranao kampilans.
Old 5th March 2015, 02:41 PM   #15
Sajen

Great work!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 03:31 PM   #16
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Jose, what did you use as an example to go by when you embellished this sword ?
Nice work .
Old 5th March 2015, 04:08 PM   #17
Battara
EAAF Staff

I looked at T'boli scabbards and T'boli hilts, as well as the type of chains they used.
Old 11th March 2015, 03:42 AM   #18
CharlesS

I believe these types of hilts and scabbards were Battara's inspirations:
Attached Images

Old 11th March 2015, 04:35 PM   #19
VANDOO
(deceased)

Talking

A NICE LOOKING RESTORATION AND NOW JOSE CAN SAY HE HAS BEEN WORKING ON THE CHAIN GANG.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 05:00 PM   #20
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
A NICE LOOKING RESTORATION AND NOW JOSE CAN SAY HE HAS BEEN WORKING ON THE CHAIN GANG.
Good one Vandoo!