Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th September 2007, 02:11 AM   #1
knife7knut

Default A question on a recent purchase.......

Hello All:
Ray Smith aka knife7knut here.Haven't posted here in some time due to a computer malfunction(self inflicted) and further health issues.Hopefully both are resolved for now.
I recently acquired this kindjal from e-Bay for a pretty reasonable amount.The pictures weren't the greatest and the seller was obviously unfamiliar with edged weapons(the only one they had listed)as much as I am unfamiliar with this type of knife.It looked pretty good so I bid and won.
Well I got it today and now I am having second thoughts about it's ancestry.My first concern was the blade material:very shiny and not having the,"look" of old steel.The second was the fact that the handle which is two pieces soldered together has come apart slightly.Inside it what appears to be remnants of cutler's cement.That is OK but the handle sides show striations that look suspiciously like they were caused by a die stamp;perpendicular to the handle and uniform in size.
The twisted wire decoration appears to be in fact just that;soldered to the case.The inset panels were at first thought to be copper but seem to be the same material as the rest of the scabbard but coated with a material that doesn't appear to be paint.I'm not sure what it is.
The fullers in the blade at first glance almost appear to be ball milled;they are too straight to be hand cut.The bottom of the fullers however are a bit inconsistent in depth and pattern.
My basic question is:Any idea where and/or when it might have been manufactured?There are no marks whatsoever on it or the scabbard.My gut feeling is it might be of Indian manufacture.Any help would be greatly appreciated.I don't have a great investment in it(less than $60 US)so if it is a modern replica I have no problem with that.
Attached Images

knife7knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 02:47 AM   #2
ariel

Modern replica, likely from Georgia, made within the last 5 years at the very latest .
Sorry.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 03:02 AM   #3
knife7knut

No problem ariel.Thank you for the prompt reply.This area of collecting is not familiar to me but I learn something every day.I still think e-Bay is one of the best sources of good deals along with antique shops..I have only been disappointed once or twice in nearly 500 purchases so I guess I'm still ahead of the game.Thanks again.
Sincerely
Ray

P.S. I see that we are nearly neighbors.My wife grew up in AA and attended Pioneer High.
Old 28th September 2007, 06:46 PM   #4
ariel

My kids went to Community: Pioneer High was their ideological enemy ( still can't fathom why, but teens' prejudices are not to be understood: just ignored ).
Say hi to your wife: I drive by Pioneer almost daily: stll there, still big.
I agree: E-bay still has sleepers. And, as to the unfortunate purchase of yours, just do not confess to your wife and view it as a lesson for the future. Cheaper than college or a session with a psychologist, but infinitely more useful
Old 1st October 2007, 06:20 AM   #5
DaveA

Exclamation Hey, Pioneer too!

I grew up in Ann Arbor and went to Pioneer H.S. '77 Small world.
- Dave Atkinson
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 01:44 AM   #6
knife7knut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
And, as to the unfortunate purchase of yours, just do not confess to your wife and view it as a lesson for the future. Cheaper than college or a session with a psychologist, but infinitely more useful
Thanks for the advice ariel but I already told her about it.She is a pretty understanding lady and realizes that I score much more often than I lose.

E-Bay has been very good to me.The knife in question was not misrepresented by the seller and the pictures were relatively good.I was responsible for making the decision to bid on it and in the end I still like the knife so nothing was lost.It was a bit out of my realm of knowledge.

I am actually better at scoring stuff at yard sales although I must admit I don't find too many knives there anymore.I did score a really nice Breitling Navitimer model 806 at one for $5 a couple years ago.Just saw one sell on E-Bay for about $2300.00 in lesser condition than mine.

Most of my knife collecting now is centered around unusual and/or unique knives and not necessarily expensive ones.I've been collecting them since I was 10 years old(I'm nearly 64 now)so I have accumulated a few.

To Dave A: Another country heard from! You must have been there around the time Ken Burns graduated.My wife was a bit earlier(1961).Have been digesting his latest documentary on PBS;great stuff!
Old 2nd October 2007, 10:23 AM   #7
ariel

Never would have thought that progressive, liberal, pacifistic Ann Arbor might be connected with at least 3 bloodthirsty sword crazies!
Shall we form a private club and march on the City Hall?
BTW, one of the elite modern Nihonto masters, Louis Mill, lives literally 10 mins from me ( quite close to the Pioneer )
http://www.dfoggknives.com/Making%20Steel.htm
http://www.dfoggknives.com/LouisMills.htm
Old 3rd October 2007, 01:23 PM   #8
levani

agree with Ariel , knife - ,, kinjal" is from georgia, Tbilisi, modern.

pice for turists
levani is offline   Reply With Quote