Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th May 2013, 01:11 PM   #1
colin henshaw

Default Fijian throwing club "ula"

Hi

I was pleased to find one of these Fijian throwing clubs recently, it has an interesting irregular shape.

By all accounts they were quite deadly in the hands of Fijian warriors, who were expert in their use, and would sometimes wear a brace of them in their waistband, in the manner of European pistols...

Anyone have other examples of these for posting, or references ?
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Lately I have wondered whether these are more of a dress item, rather like those ubiquitous Arab daggers wore across the stomach. The common availability the frequent lightness and also often far to heavy to be an effective weapon could suggest so. Like knob sticks in Africa ever present?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 05:17 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THERE ARE QUITE A FEW ACCOUNTS OF THESE CLUBS BEING USED IN WARFARE AND LIKE THE ACCOUNTS OF THE USE OF THE THROWING CLUBS BY THE ZULU ARE SAID TO HAVE BEEN VERY EFFECTIVE. THE THROWING CLUB IS STILL CARRIED IN AFRICA TODAY AND IS USED EFFECTIVELY TO BAG THE OCCASIONAL CRITTER FOR THE POT AND AT TIMES TO SETTLE DISPUTES. EVEN THE OLD LADIES AND KIDS OFTEN HAVE ONE.
YOUR EXAMPLE SHOWS TONGAN INFLUENCE BECAUSE OF THE UNUSUAL CARVING ON YOUR SECOND PICTURE IT APPEARS TO BE A FIGURE INSET IN THE COMMON CARVED PATTERN. THE TONGAN EMPIRE'S INFLUENCE STARTED IN THE 10 CENTURY AND STARTED TO DECLINE IN THE 13 TH. CENTURY, THE INFLUENCE CONTINUED AS TONGANS CONTINUED TO LIVE IN FIJI. FROM THE PICTURES YOUR EXAMPLE LOOKS PRE-CONTACT OR NO NEWER THAN 19TH CENTURY. (NICE ONE)
THE EXAMPLES IN MY COLLECTION COME IN SEVERAL FORMS AND GO FROM 21 CENTURY TO PRE-CONTACT EXAMPLES. THE OLD ONES ARE HEAVY AND HARD WOODS AND BALANCED FOR THROWING. SOME OF THE MORE RECENT ARE FANCY AND MORE ARTISTIC BUT DON'T HAVE THE FEEL OF A GOOD THROWING CLUB. I SUPPOSE THESE LATER ONES MAY HAVE BEEN WORN FOR STATUS, PRESENTATION OR USED IN CEREMONIES OR SHOWS OR JUST TO SELL.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 07:36 PM   #4
colin henshaw

Thanks for the comments on this Fiji throwing club so far.

Vandoo, can you post images of some of the ulas you have, please ? - it would be good to see some more examples. The one I have really feels good in the hand and seems like a real "user".

Here is an extract from the book "Fiji and the Fijians" by the missionary Thomas Williams, 1858. Another excellent reference is "Fijian Weapons and Warfare" by Fergus Clunie, Fiji Museum - has anyone ever visited there and seen the collections ?

Regards.
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote