Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th June 2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Emanuel

Default When in Montreal, visit the Musee Stewart

I may live in Toronto, but I can surely promote other Canadian cities
For those visiting Montreal, I recommend visiting the Stewart Museum for their weapons fix, located on Ile Ste-helene http://www.stewart-museum.org/ . I missed my chance to see it on my last stop there, but I heard very good things about it. It seems to have a fairly large militaria, arms and armour collection. Mostly oriented focused on Canada's colonial military history, it also features a large Islamic arms collection.

It goes without saying that the city's other musea and art galleries are also greatly recommended, as well as its old port area.

I plan to visit Montreal again by the end of the month, and I will take pictures then.

Stay tuned...

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 03:47 PM   #2
RomaRana

Temporary Closing

The Museum has suspended its activities and is closed to the public for major renovations. This restoration work will continue for a period of eighteen months and has been made possible through the financial assistance provided by the Ministère de la Culture, des Communications et de la Condition féminine.

The Museum’s refurbished permanent exhibition is expected to open in May 2010 and will include a revised programme of educational and public activities to be offered to the citizens of the Greater Montreal area and to its visitors.
RomaRana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Emanuel

Hah, guess I should actually visit the website before advertising it
Old 12th July 2012, 05:07 AM   #4
Emanuel

So I finally got around to see the museum since it underwent renovation work. Nice little old fort. Half of the exhibition space is dedicated to what looks like a permanent installation on the early history of Montreal. Very nice items and great presentations.

Unfortunately the other half is devoted to the history of kitchen appliance design go figure. An old fort, with something like 4,000 pieces of armament and 4,500 military objects and a large Islamic arms and armour collection in the vaults and they choose to show the history of kitchen design...

At the moment the museum is not worth the price of admission unless you really want to learn something about Montreal (or kitchen appliances). Supposedly a large exhibit of a more martial character is in the works for 2014, but until then...it's kitchen designs.

Emanuel