Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th June 2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Jussi M.

Default Hembrug Klewang - original or a good fake?

Greetings,

so gentleman, what do you think of this piece?

Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I guess my first question would be ; are these currently valuable enough to make them worth faking ?

Refurbished blade ??
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 02:45 PM   #3
kronckew

scabbard looks a bit odd compared to mine.

note the sheet brass tip and the brass staples that hold it on, and the black steel throat piece wrapped partially around the throat and double riveted both sides. on mine the leather seam is sewn along the spine rather than the rear flat. note also the button-holed strap for attaching to the belt frog (sadly missing). could yours be a replacement? mine does not have any unit markings or issue/serial numbers. it does have a small (proof?) stamp on the right side similar to yours, and the mfg. stamp opposite on the left side of the ricasso.

'cold steel' made a recent copy of the milsco version that the USN used, as well as a longer 'sabre' variant of the same basic design: CS called it the '1917 cutlass'

note the slight difference in the scabbard tip and the single riveted brass throat piece. also note the slotted grip rivets (or screws).

while i would not try this with my original, the CS copy in the following video shows it's designs cutting effectiveness.

Youtube video CS 1917 Cutlass

Last edited by kronckew; 18th June 2009 at 03:38 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 04:06 PM   #4
trenchwarfare

Jussi, your Klewang looks great to me. Excellent piece. No fakes that I know of, other than the one previously mentioned. Your scabbard is an earlier version, that had the steel tip, inside the leather, with only the ball finial showing. Looks like the leather was pealing back, and the soldier had a local repair it with brass wire. Or repaired it himself. Or, the last owner was a local, or...
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Jussi M.

Hello,

thanks for the comments so far. This weapon aint actually mine but one that has raised my curiosity.

J
Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Fakes dont usually carry issuance or arsenal type stamps.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 07:01 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Well the thing looks freakin' new, but the hilt also shows patina and age. Maybe a piece that saw little or no use and/or was extremely well cared for.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 09:32 PM   #8
Henk

I would say an original klewang in good condition.

This is a klewang No.1 Police. Identical to the Dutch Army klewang M.1912. The RVW stamp stands for the Dutch name of this police force, the Rijks Veldwacht.

The scabbard of the M.1912 has a terminal button with a number of turns of 0,8 mm thick copper wire around the neck of the button. The number of turns is given as 12 in the original drawings of the scabbardtype.

This scabbard has more turns. Mostly the turns are 9 to 12 turns around the button. Looking at your pictures this amount of windings looks like a repair, but done with the original copper wire.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 11:42 PM   #9
broadaxe

I've seen & handled at least one fake US cutlass, made from an "aged" Cold steel replica.
One major difference: the current made saber lacks a distal taper, hence is heavier and ill-balanced, comparing to both originals, US & Dutch.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote