Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st May 2006, 10:14 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Egyptian Curved Sword with scabbord

Found this one on e-bay, seems no one else wanted it, so i adopted it for my dha / darb collection. pommel looks a bit thai to me, but what do i know.....when it arrives i'll stick up a few more photo's inc. the 'arabic' inscription so mebbe someone can say whether it's thai, viet or burmese.....

Ebay Item 6630469034

(didn't look overly egyptian to me. )
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 10:40 PM   #2
RhysMichael

I wish I had seen that one. Great find and congrats.
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 01:29 AM   #3
HartCone

kronckew

g'day
i agree with you, didn't look overly egyptian, its look more dha...
but its nice great sword...
HartCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 07:54 AM   #4
Tim Simmons

Fantastic buy!! Shame about the nail, sure you could sort that out.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 01:26 PM   #5
katana

Fantastic find, well done. I too wish I had seen it. Strange that the seller thought 'Egyptian', but placed it in the sub-catergory 'Japanese/Samurai'... An Egyptian Katana, perhaps
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 02:44 PM   #6
IainN

Very nice find!

I'm feeling a little grumpy because a computer malfunction prevented me from bidding on the dha I wanted last night.
IainN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 03:23 PM   #7
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartCone
i agree with you, didn't look overly egyptian, its look more dha...
Yes, that is a Burman dha. It is funny that the seller didn't show the "Arabic" letters on the ferrule more clearly. They are hard to see, but they do look like Burmese letters.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 02:48 PM   #8
kronckew

well , the dha arrived today, it's better than i expected. brown stains on blade were grease which cleaned off.

scabbard is very well made, better and lighter/thinner than my other dha's, the brass bands are all decorated with pointillé designs.

the wooden grip, is covered at either end in what appears to be silver. the centre section is a brass covered section with further pointillé designs, chief of which is a bird surmounted by what appears to be a burmese inscription. the silver section nearest the blade is also engraved with a burmese inscription.

the blade is 25" long, 1" at the hilt, 1.25" at it's widest near the point, 3/8" thick at the hilt, distally tapering to the point. the 1st third of the spine is rounded, the latter 2/3 of the spine is square, there are two narrow fullers that run to within a couple inches of the point, and a fine groove cut above it for about the 1st 1/3 from the hilt. the blade is not inlaid with silver scrolls & brass spine inlays as is my other dha, but appears to be more buisness-like.

a magnet was used to discover tha tang extends thru the first silver section and the brass section as well, but not into the pommel section. it is drilled near the blade end for a dowel or rivet, which hole is currently filled with a steel nail. the nail appears to be fairly old and is worn by use. the visible wooden part of the grip where the tang is inserted appears to have a wooden wedge either side of the blade hammered in to keep the assembly tight.

pictures: if anyone has any idea what the inscriptions are, i'd be grateful for a translation.

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote