Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2020, 10:22 AM   #1
tanaruz
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 35
Default SAMAR BINALHAG

My dear blade friends.

Meet my new baby. It's 23 inches long (OAL). I have a very similar one in my collection (but WITHOUT the deity/face pommel) and it came from Borongan, Samar. A fellow blade colleague informed me that my collection was most probably a BINALHAG bolo.

Now come this new piece. the OAL is also 23 inches. They have similar blade profile, with the exception that this new one comes with a pommel with a smiling deity/person ( I really don't know what this is called). The head-pommel looks very different from the 'maranhig' on my tenegres.

I have a feeling that this is a binalhag, but not really that sure.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards from Manila.

Yves
Attached Images
    
tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 05:21 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff
 
Battara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,470
Default

What an interesting piece. A true Visayan example. The blade profile does look almost old Cebuano talibong/garab. I would agree with the deity attribution for the pommel.

Only thing is I'm thinking that the binalhag blade profile might be more curved in the middle of the blade top and swollen bottom, similar in some ways to the late 19th century Cebuano talibongs. Am I right?


Thanks for sharing this (Maraming Salamat!)
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 04:54 AM   #3
xasterix
Member
 
xasterix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaruz
My dear blade friends.

Meet my new baby. It's 23 inches long (OAL). I have a very similar one in my collection (but WITHOUT the deity/face pommel) and it came from Borongan, Samar. A fellow blade colleague informed me that my collection was most probably a BINALHAG bolo.

Now come this new piece. the OAL is also 23 inches. They have similar blade profile, with the exception that this new one comes with a pommel with a smiling deity/person ( I really don't know what this is called). The head-pommel looks very different from the 'maranhig' on my tenegres.

I have a feeling that this is a binalhag, but not really that sure.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards from Manila.

Yves


Hi,

Scabbard definitely looks like a binalhag's. One of my friend's old sundangs has a similar head figural, also provenanced from Samar. Would you know how old this sample is? I'm curious as I've been trying to get a binalhag myself, but our ECQ rules in Manila have prevented any business engagements.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 08:39 AM   #4
tanaruz
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 35
Default samar binalhag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
What an interesting piece. A true Visayan example. The blade profile does look almost old Cebuano talibong/garab. I would agree with the deity attribution for the pommel.

Only thing is I'm thinking that the binalhag blade profile might be more curved in the middle of the blade top and swollen bottom, similar in some ways to the late 19th century Cebuano talibongs. Am I right?


Thanks for sharing this (Maraming Salamat!)


Hi,

This is my first binalhag. From Borongan, Samar c. 1945.

I don't know much about Visayan blades but the 'blade profile might be more curved in the middle of the blade top and swollen bottom' (silimar to a talibong)- might be the bihalhag bolo meant not for combat purposes but the utility type. But it's just my idea on pics that I have seen though.
tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 08:41 AM   #5
tanaruz
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 35
Default SAMAR BINALHAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaruz
Hi,

This is my first binalhag. From Borongan, Samar c. 1945.

I don't know much about Visayan blades but the 'blade profile might be more curved in the middle of the blade top and swollen bottom' (silimar to a talibong)- might be the bihalhag bolo meant not for combat purposes but the utility type. But it's just my idea on pics that I have seen though.



Kind regards,

Yves
Attached Images
 
tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:38 AM   #6
kai
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,531
Default

Hello Yves,

I agree that these look similar enough - could we also get a view of the other side of the blade, please?

The pommel carving on the piece you're enquiring about seems to me pretty rough without wear and patina from extended use. I'd guess this is a later recarving or replacement. Also the braiding on the grip (plastic?) seems to be too rough for extended use. I'd suggest that this is an older piece whose hilt got revamped sometime after WW2.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 03:56 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff
 
Battara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,470
Default

I agree with Kai. The carving does look clean and more recent.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2020, 08:05 AM   #8
tanaruz
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 35
Default SAMAR BINALHAG

My dear friends.

Finally, I was able to personally touch this binalhag. This was made possible when the whole of the National Capital Region (which includes Metro Manila) and some areas were downgraded from the Echanced Community Quarantine(ECQ) to a Modified ECQ.

Here are the traits/points from my point of view:
1) the so called 'braided wrappings' on the handle and the scabbard is similar to a rattan material (or something similar to it)- and not plastic.

2) the carving lines on the deity (if this is the right term)- is quote smooth.

3) blade: chisel grind (right side)- right handed. Here are some clearer pics of the blade after I cleaned it up with antique wax and gun oil (on the blade).
Attached Images
     
tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:22 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.