Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th November 2006, 06:23 PM   #1
mross

Default Naga database

Found this while looking for information on a recent ebay win. Not easy to navigate but I think worth the time.

http://www.alanmacfarlane.com/bamboo...ront/front.htm
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2006, 08:55 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Very interesting. This is the stuff I like. Be it Africa or Asia. I wonder how much is still surviving , the Amazon even in the 21cent? I think it is now techincally illegal to shoot or murder tribal people who happen to be in the way. This is difficult to be sure of as there is not always a reporter on had.

Is my soap box big enough
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Bill M

Michael,

This is a very interesting link. Wonderful old photos. I have just spent two hours researching these. It is particulaly interesting to me to get old photos of the Mithran heads, both stylized and real.

Have one of the trophy human skull heads with the Mithran horns on the way here, now.

I also have a few of the Naga house artifacts, both community (rarer) and the individual homes. And a pounding table.

I am excited about finding these old photos that show the pieces I have in use, back in the 1920s and 1930s!

Still looking for pictures of the Naga dao like the Kachin / Assam pieces you and I both recently acquired.

Tanks again for the link,

Best
Bill
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 05:51 PM   #4
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Michael,

This is a very interesting link. Wonderful old photos. I have just spent two hours researching these. It is particulaly interesting to me to get old photos of the Mithran heads, both stylized and real.

Have one of the trophy human skull heads with the Mithran horns on the way here, now.

I also have a few of the Naga house artifacts, both community (rarer) and the individual homes. And a pounding table.

I am excited about finding these old photos that show the pieces I have in use, back in the 1920s and 1930s!

Still looking for pictures of the Naga dao like the Kachin / Assam pieces you and I both recently acquired.

Tanks again for the link,

Best
Bill
Glad to help out. I was hoping to find the dao pictures too, well at least the search turned up more resources for the list. If you come acoss photo's of the dao, let me know. I'm still not sure if it's a weapon, tool or served as both.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 12:56 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

I LOOKED AND READ BUT NEVER DID FIGURE OUT HOW TO ACCESS THE VIDEO DISK. ARE THE PICTURES THERE OR IS THE LIST OF INFORMATION JUST TO TEASE
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 02:43 AM   #6
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I LOOKED AND READ BUT NEVER DID FIGURE OUT HOW TO ACCESS THE VIDEO DISK. ARE THE PICTURES THERE OR IS THE LIST OF INFORMATION JUST TO TEASE
HI VANDOO,

You can approach it several ways. Try going to "database" and then "search" enter a word, like "dao." You will see about 700 entries. A short text message preceded by a number. the number will take you to a short text article.

For pictures, from the main page, go to "contents" then to "by medium or source of material." From there you can go to “photographs.” Then the various authors and photographers.

You should see first a text message describing the photograph. If you want to see the picture, click on the number. From there you will see a thumbnail that you can click on to bring up a larger image. You can then back up to the page with the text by clicking on "results" or you can just go to the next picture by clicking on "next result."

A bit cumbersome, but worth the effort,

Warmest Regards,

Bill
Old 16th December 2006, 12:53 PM   #7
Bill M

Default This is an awesome reference link and deserves seeing!

BTTT

Incredible pictures of Nagas from as early as 1873.

Thank you again Mike!