Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd November 2017, 10:57 AM   #1
theswordcollector

Default Help with Persian Tabar Saddle Axe 19th Century

Hello fellow collectors,

I just acquired this interesting Tabar yesterday from a local antique shop I normally collect European edge weapons but I like this piece and found it interesting so I couldn't leave the shop without it :-) I am unsure if it is Persian late 18th Century / 19th Century? There is Arabic/Persian text etched or engraved on the Axe head but I have no idea what it may translate to if any one out there could help me with a little info on this piece. The axe head blade is a bit different that the others I have seen so am a bit confused as to it's origin.The axe is 68cm long or 26 3/4 inches The steel shaft is also octagon like a gun barrel.
Attached Images

Last edited by theswordcollector; 3rd November 2017 at 08:40 AM. Reason: title
theswordcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:31 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Here are axes from the Furusiyya Art Collection ~and a pair which are Qajar dynasty Persian...
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:44 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

In addition~

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_axe

~Describes the Persian axe as Quote"The tabarzin (Persian: تبرزین‎‎, lit. "saddle axe" or "saddle hatchet") is the traditional battle axe of Persia. It bears one or two crescent-shaped blades. The long form of the tabar was about seven feet long, while a shorter version was about three feet long. What made the Persian axe unique is the very thin handle, which is very light and always metallic. The tabar became one of the main weapons throughout the Middle East, and was always carried at a soldier's waist not only in Persia but Egypt, and the Arab world from the time of the Crusades. Mamluk bodyguards were known as tabardiyya after the weapon. The tabarzin is sometimes carried as a symbolic weapon by wandering dervishes (Muslim ascetic worshippers)."Unquote.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 12:47 PM   #4
theswordcollector

Smile tabarzin

Hi thank you for taking your time to respond to my post. The history of the tabarzin is quite interesting along with the different variations that were produced. I only wish I could read what is etched on the the axe head on both sides if it , if it is Persian or Farsi. This is my first Persian piece. I can see how after having acquired this tabarzin it can lead to quite an addictive collecting habit in the future. Cheers and thank you again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
In addition~

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_axe

~Describes the Persian axe as Quote"The tabarzin (Persian: تبرزین‎‎, lit. "saddle axe" or "saddle hatchet") is the traditional battle axe of Persia. It bears one or two crescent-shaped blades. The long form of the tabar was about seven feet long, while a shorter version was about three feet long. What made the Persian axe unique is the very thin handle, which is very light and always metallic. The tabar became one of the main weapons throughout the Middle East, and was always carried at a soldier's waist not only in Persia but Egypt, and the Arab world from the time of the Crusades. Mamluk bodyguards were known as tabardiyya after the weapon. The tabarzin is sometimes carried as a symbolic weapon by wandering dervishes (Muslim ascetic worshippers)."Unquote.
Old 4th November 2017, 09:40 PM   #5
Kmaddock

Hi
I notice a crack on one side and not the other
And there seems to be no distortion on the “good” side
Is the axe head hollow?
I know nothing at all about these axes just an observation
Regards
Ken
Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 12:30 PM   #6
theswordcollector

Thumbs up

Hello and thank you for your response and photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Here are axes from the Furusiyya Art Collection ~and a pair which are Qajar dynasty Persian...