Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th January 2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley
Hi Detlef,

I have tried to make the pictures, but i had to do it with my mobile cause the batteries of my camera are empty.
I've these are no good i try to make better ones tomorrow.

Thanks, i like the sheath also.

best regards,
Ben
Hi Ben,

thank you for the pictures! They are good enough and I think like all others that this sheath was made for this blade and I never would change something without the exception that I would keep my eyes peeled for a bigger pendokok for the hilt.

Best regards,

Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 11:05 AM   #2
PenangsangII

i even several times purposely purchased straight Jawanese blades only (possibly the original wrangka were damaged or purchased by other buyers) then sheathed them with Pattani tebeng sarungs to emulate what could have transpired in the past
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Harley

Hi David,

Thank you for your explanation, i agree with almost everything you've said.
What i don't understand is that you don't find the old (Bali) sheath nicely made.
I can understand that was a mix of styles, and i was ugly , but it was made properly, maybe my bad photo's has something to do with that.

I haven't read the thread of keris Taming Sari yet, i am now on page 6 and was starting on the last page, so i'll get to it.

Because of all the people who responded in this thread in i am now convinced that it is not a good thing to make a new sheath for this one
It is also not my meaning to change the sheath so i got something to do, to me at the point i heard that it was not a Bugis blade, i thought it was the right thing to do, not thinking of the history that's maybe behind it.

Thanks for the kind words David, for myself i am never satisfied, but i hope with some practice i can do a better job, and i would love to have some nice Bali blades, so we both have something to wish

Alan,

I think in you're case, with the really beautiful keris you have, it's a nice thing to do, but for the keris i have, i don't know.
And for now i still have to try and make a couple of sheaths&hilts, and that is the first priority.
I think that there will always be lose blades, so i am afraid i never get finished
But never the less thanks for your suggestion!

Thanks Detlef, point taken, see above.

I will thank everyone for there contribution on this thread and keeping me on the right track!

best regards,
Ben
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 03:50 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Thank you for your explanation, i agree with almost everything you've said.
What i don't understand is that you don't find the old (Bali) sheath nicely made.
I can understand that was a mix of styles, and i was ugly , but it was made properly, maybe my bad photo's has something to do with that.
Harley, i suggest that you go back to that Bali keris thread and re-read some of the comments. IMHO that sheath is not "properly" made nor carved with any particular finesse or understanding of the sesrengentan form it was trying to emulate. As Alan pointed out in post #10 in that thread it well may have been made in Bali and then altered in Jawa (pendok), but not by anyone with any particular knowledge of this form or style. I am therefore not convinced that it was a sheath that anyone would have proudly displayed in public in any real cultural setting. That is the difference in my mind.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Harley

Hi David,

I know that you're not the only one with this opinion, and as i said, it's a real ugly design, and i also agree that it does not come in the near of a sesrengentan, but we think different of the finesse of that sheath.
There was a time i was tattooing, and I've seen my share of ugly tattoos designs, done without any knowledge or other, but still i could appreciate it if the lines are good, depth, shadow, etc, so thats what i am trying so say.
I would not be ashamed I've had made that sheath(I don't have ), but only regarding the finesse, not the design.

regards,
Ben
Old 14th January 2012, 05:39 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
I know that you're not the only one with this opinion, and as i said, it's a real ugly design, and i also agree that it does not come in the near of a sesrengentan, but we think different of the finesse of that sheath.
There was a time i was tattooing, and I've seen my share of ugly tattoos designs, done without any knowledge or other, but still i could appreciate it if the lines are good, depth, shadow, etc, so thats what i am trying so say.
I would not be ashamed I've had made that sheath(I don't have ), but only regarding the finesse, not the design.
Ben, I don't think we can apply the same standards of tattooing to the keris. Styles are a bit more specific, less freeform. At least in the general world of Western tattooing. However, if we were examining tradition Maori tattoo design, maintaining exacting and specific form of line and design might be a bit more important from a cultural standpoint. The sheath of your Bali keris looks well constructed for sure, but the carving shows little understanding of the line and form of the sheath form it is attempting to be. That is what i mean by finesse, not whether or not the carver knows how to use his tools. From what i can see in your own attempts to create a gayaman style sheath (albeit, a simpler form), you have a far greater ability to observe and copy form than the carver of this sheath did.
Old 14th January 2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
The sheath of your Bali keris looks well constructed for sure, but the carving shows little understanding of the line and form of the sheath form it is attempting to be. That is what i mean by finesse, not whether or not the carver knows how to use his tools. From what i can see in your own attempts to create a gayaman style sheath (albeit, a simpler form), you have a far greater ability to observe and copy form than the carver of this sheath did.
Hi David,

It was not my meaning to compare tattooing and keris, but more to try an give a example what i meant.
And there is the misunderstanding , when i now read what you have written, (well constructed) the word i used was finesse, but we mean the same thing!
It sometimes difficult to find the right words David, i try to, but it don't always goes that way.
I am not so sure about that David, but thanks for the compliment.

regards,
Ben

P.S. David i sent you yesterday a PM, didn't you get it?
Old 14th January 2012, 09:08 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
P.S. David i sent you yesterday a PM, didn't you get it?
Yes i did...i thought i responded...will check.