Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 21st October 2007, 06:03 PM   #1
Ziggy

Question Luckhaus & Gunther Remscheid A' Garantia

I have a L & G sword that came from Cuba circa 1880's. The emblem is a Bull with sword and banner. No. 2970. I am interested in the history of L & G. Tis picture is not the best but gives you a general idea. The L & G is broken at 17 inches. The second one is a Collins & Co, Hartford Acero Fino Garantizada No. 296 Its a short 17" single edged. Emblem is a raised hand with a sword coming out of a crown. Again, this is from Cuba 1880s-90's.
I'm looking for info on these weapons and do not know where to look. My ancestor was influencial american Mine Operator for Bethlehem iron ore Co. in the 1880's to 1898. thanks, Ziggy
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Bill M

What picture?
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:06 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Here's some history on Cutachas .

http://therionarms.com/articles/cutacha/index.html
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 07:52 PM   #4
Ziggy

Default L & G sword

Let me try with the photo again. File to large. I'll make it smaller
Old 23rd October 2007, 08:28 PM   #5
Ziggy

Got it
Attached Images

Old 25th October 2007, 03:11 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Ziggy,
The sword you have pictured on the top is of a hilt form that has been another mystery among sword collectors. This hilt with exaggerated finger stalls and a notch at the top of the grip seems consistant in general form, with variations in the materials used. Some are horn, while others are of solid brass. The blades as can be imagined, are all manner of trade blades, though they seem consistantly straight.

A number of years ago I acquired one of these with solid brass hilt, a crudely adapted knuckleguard with shell type crossguard that loosely resembled a stylized espada ancha hilt. The blade was an extremely heavy, crude blacksmith grade straight example, almost blunt. This particular sword was stated from Monterrey, Mexico from about c.1870's. In subsequent research I found swords of this type identified as everything from crude variants of the Mexican espada ancha to the somewhat questionable suggestion of being from 'Algerian pirates'.
Other examples occurred in groupings of Spanish Colonial swords from Mexico, which seemed of course in line with the example I had provenanced to Mexico.
It was not until some time later that I found that many of these had come up as 'bringbacks' from the Spanish American War and had come from Cuba. The connection between Mexico and Cuba of course being well established, and the Cuban provenance pretty well proven. It seems there were other references made to these some years ago, but cannot recall exactly when.
In any case I'm glad you brought these in here as it strengthens the case!

On the company you have referenced, of course they were Solingen manufacturers of trade blades, which included those found on machetes. I think the firm was brought up on threads discussing various Ethiopian swords and 'gurades'.

It sounds as if your weapons have some potentially fascinating history given the provenance you already have established with them! It would be interesting to hear more about your ancestor's activities with this company...did they have interests in Cuba?

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote