Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th October 2008, 09:40 AM   #1
migueldiaz

Default Moro blades galore: Any gem/s here?

Hi all,

Been checking out the antique/souvenir shops in Mindanao (Davao, Mindanao) and Manila.

Here are pics I snapped using my cellphone camera. There's a lot of tourist items all right.

I was just wondering whether anybody would think there's anything worth further checking out.

By the way, I'd freely give the name and contact info of the stores, if anybody would be interested to know.
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 09:43 AM   #2
migueldiaz

Here's from another store ...
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2008, 09:45 AM   #3
migueldiaz

Second store, continued ...
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2008, 09:48 AM   #4
migueldiaz

Store number three ...
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2008, 09:50 AM   #5
migueldiaz

Store no. 3, continued ...
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2008, 09:54 AM   #6
migueldiaz

More from store no. 3 ...
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2008, 09:57 AM   #7
migueldiaz

We are still at store no. 3 ...

By the way, the one with MOP in the scabbard was the subject of my earlier query in http://216.219.192.186/vb/showthread.php?t=7349. Nobody has yet commented on what the characters mean ... the blade is supposed to be from a juramentado.

From Wikipedia: Juramentado, in Philippine history, is an archaic term derived from the Spanish word juramentar, meaning one who takes an oath, and refers to a male Moro warrior who attacked and killed targeted Christian police and soldiers, expecting to be killed himself in the attempt.
Attached Images

Last edited by migueldiaz; 24th October 2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 24th October 2008, 10:00 AM   #8
migueldiaz

Still on store no. 3 ...
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2008, 10:02 AM   #9
migueldiaz

Last set for store no. 3 ...
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2008, 10:04 AM   #10
migueldiaz

From various other stores ...
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2008, 10:06 AM   #11
migueldiaz

More ...
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2008, 10:08 AM   #12
migueldiaz

Last set of pics ...
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2008, 12:29 PM   #13
CharlesS

Thanks for all these pics. At first glance this looks like a drool fest....

There are far too many pieces here to try to go through piece by piece, but overall, I would say that the vast majority of these pieces are newly produced, produced from parts, or have somehow been reworked.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 01:08 PM   #14
Bill M

Echoing Charles... New made. I wondered were all the tourist pieces came from. Now I understand better.

There may be a gem hiding in there --- somewhere. But there sure is an awful (with emphasis on the "awful") lot of -- let's just say pieces I would not even think about buying.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 01:58 PM   #15
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Thanks for all these pics. At first glance this looks like a drool fest....

There are far too many pieces here to try to go through piece by piece, but overall, I would say that the vast majority of these pieces are newly produced, produced from parts, or have somehow been reworked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Echoing Charles... New made. I wondered were all the tourist pieces came from. Now I understand better.

There may be a gem hiding in there --- somewhere. But there sure is an awful (with emphasis on the "awful") lot of -- let's just say pieces I would not even think about buying.
Hi Charles, Hi Bill,

Yes that's true. I'm very new to this stuff and yet even to my untrained eye the newness of some (if not many) of the items is very much apparent.

Most of the storekeepers I've met are not passing them off as antiques or old items, however.

And at least one of them storekeepers, who happened to be the owner of the shop also [he's a Maranao], was very much transparent to me in telling me which item is old, and which are repros and/or 'tourist'.

Like what I've also read in this forum, once you've shown to the storeowner that you do not belong to that 95% tourist market and you are more on the 5% serious collector niche (am just guessing the percentages), then they start showing you the good stuff from the backroom.

Then that's when it really gets interesting!

In any case, even if you don't get to buy anything, it's still very much fun sifting through the items, tourist or otherwise. And if the storeowner happened to have a genuine interest on blades too, then all the more your day is made.

Last edited by migueldiaz; 24th October 2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 24th October 2008, 05:14 PM   #16
Spunjer

ah, is that ermita?

anywho, a good one for you, bro. pic#3. the kampilan with pungkol handle. i would almost bet that's orig...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 05:17 PM   #17
Bill M

Hi Miguel,

I would spend the time looking at the pieces if you like though I suspect there is little to be learned there of actual value. Please also beware of the "good stuff in the back room" sales technique.

If shopkeepers have good stuff, they will likely display it in the "front room," or it will have already been sold to a knowledgeable collector.

There is also the wonderful tale about the "noble family who has fallen on bad times and must sell the family heirlooms." This is also often combined with, "They need to do this quietly, without advertising because they don't want their friends/neighbors/relatives to know they need money badly."

"If you, as a smart collector can move fast enough.........."

Listen to their wonderful stories. Buy something cheap but fun. But unless you really know the pieces, odds are very great that you will buy expensive tourist pieces that were made to appeal to a "new" collector!
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 07:03 PM   #18
apolaki

OMG! how much is the portraits of the lumad tribesmen in your picture?

also the kulintang set...

a nd the singkil anklets & the tiboli bead neckklaces....

WOWOOWOWOWOWOWOWWOOO.... lol
apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 07:40 PM   #19
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THAT WAS A FUN ROMP THRU THE SWORD SHOPS OF MANILA.

I AGREE THAT THE MAJORITY OF ITEMS APPEAR TO BE OF FAIRLY RECENT MANUFACTURE. NO DOUBT SOME BLADES AND FITTINGS ARE OLD ORIGINALS WITH NEWER ADDITIONS AND SOME MAY EVEN BE ENTIRELY ORIGINAL.
IT IS FUN TO HAGGLE IN SUCH PLACES AND I WOULD BE DISAPOINTED IF THEY DID NOT TRY TO SELL ME A BILL OF GOODS. BUT THE STORIES AND THE OLD THE GOOD STUFF IS IN THE BACK ROOM AND MY CHILDREN ARE STARVING IS ALWAYS FUN AND ADDS TO THE FLAVOR OF DOING BUSINESS IN SUCH SHOPS.
I SAW SOME ITEMS I WOULD HAGGLE FOR EVEN IF THEY WERE NEW.
THE THING TO DO IS
1. LOOK FOR THE QUALITY AND WORKMANSHIP OF THE ITEM (NOTE THE FILE WORK ON MOST OF THE KRIS BLADES IS POORLY DONE) THIS DOSEN'T NECESSARLY SAY IT IS NEWLY MADE JUST THAT THE MAKER WAS NOT VERY GOOD AT THAT PART OF THE JOB OR DID NOT CARE.
2. THE PERSONEL APPEAL IT HAS TO YOU REGARDLESS OF IF IT FOLLOWS A TRADITIONAL FORM EXACTLY
3. IS IT A FAIR PRICE

A WELL MADE OLD ORIGINAL KRIS THAT HAS SEEN USE WILL HAVE A GOOD BALANCE AND FEEL IN THE HAND. OFTEN THE BLADE WILL BE SHARP ENOUGH TO SHAVE HAIR OFF YOUR ARM. IF IT HAS BEEN TRICKED OUT WITH A BUNCH OF FANCY NEW FITTINGS OR IS A NEW BLADE THE BALANCE AND FEEL WILL USUALLY BE OFF.
FOR EXAMPLE I RECENTLY LET MY FAVORITE SWORD GO TO A PIRATE MUSEUM OF A FRIEND. IT WAS A 1870 U.S. NAVEL CUTLASS WITH BRASS GAURD AND WAS A DREAM TO HANDLE AND WAVE AROUND.

I MISSED IT AND SAW A NICE LOOKING REPLICA FOR A GOOD PRICE ON EBAY AND WON, IT LOOKS NICE BUT HANDLES LIKE A FIRE PLACE POKER AND IS NO FUN AT ALL.

I FIND IT VERY INTERESTING SOME OF THE NEW VARIATIONS THAT HAVE BEEN TRIED BY THE WEAPON MAKERS SOME ARE VERY FUNNY OR GARISH AND SOME QUITE APPEALING. WHILE ITS NICE TO JUST COLLECT GOOD ORIGINAL OLD TRADITIONAL FORMS, THE WELL MADE INOVATIONS ALSO HAVE A NICH AND ARE WORTHY OF COLLECTING IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT.

STORE #3 WOULD MY FIRST STOP
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 07:54 PM   #20
apolaki

i don't quite understand. these swords are made in the philippines by local craftsman where the swords originate. if they are modern creations, how are they any less? i mean didn't the person who posted these pictures say that one vendor is an actual maranao? if it's just a matter of age, i can understand that, but from a cultural ethnographic point of view, should they not hold the same esteem, antique & modern?

Thanks,

apolaki

ps - would so buy those lumad portraits even if they are modern!!!!!!!!!
apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 08:28 PM   #21
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldiaz
We are still at store no. 3 ...

By the way, the one with MOP in the scabbard was the subject of my earlier query in http://216.219.192.186/vb/showthread.php?t=7349. Nobody has yet commented on what the characters mean ... the blade is supposed to be from a juramentado.

From Wikipedia: Juramentado, in Philippine history, is an archaic term derived from the Spanish word juramentar, meaning one who takes an oath, and refers to a male Moro warrior who attacked and killed targeted Christian police and soldiers, expecting to be killed himself in the attempt.
miguel,

highly doubt it was from a juramentado, or magsabil. the last true cases were during the early part of 20th century. after that, it was more like crazy amoks running around, gunning for anyone, christians and muslims. the barung is from the latter half of the century. i don't think the moro made a specific barung for such an act anyways...

if you don't mind tho, could you please list the name and contact of those stores listed? dunno if i get to make it there next year, but if i do, i would like to visit them... last time i was there i visited mang ven's store in ermita
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 10:00 PM   #22
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
if you don't mind tho, could you please list the name and contact of those stores listed? dunno if i get to make it there next year, but if i do, i would like to visit them... last time i was there i visited mang ven's store in ermita
I think that this would be best done in private messages.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 10:07 PM   #23
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaki
i don't quite understand. these swords are made in the philippines by local craftsman where the swords originate. if they are modern creations, how are they any less? i mean didn't the person who posted these pictures say that one vendor is an actual maranao? if it's just a matter of age, i can understand that, but from a cultural ethnographic point of view, should they not hold the same esteem, antique & modern?
Apolaki, this is a valid question, but i am afraid that most of these modern pieces are made for the tourist trade, not with the same care, intention and level of quality that you will find in those actually made as true cultural weapons meant to be fought with by the Moro people. If you held them side by side you would understand the difference better. Certainly these are being made by local craftsmen, but it is sort of like buying a jazzed up tomahawk peace pipe from a Native American at a roadside Indian trading post somewhere in the Southwest states. It may actually be made BY an Indian, but it wasn't made FOR and Indian. Get it?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 12:08 AM   #24
migueldiaz

Quote:
ah, is that ermita?

anywho, a good one for you, bro. pic#3. the kampilan with pungkol handle. i would almost bet that's orig...
hi spunjer, pare ko

the very first set of pics is in an antique shop in sm-megamall in manila.

i didn't like this store however. for one the shop attendants are clueless as to what they are selling. second, their lowest priced kris which has 'tourist' written all over it is being sold for a highway robbery price of P10k [$200]!

the rest of the pics would be from various shops in aldevinco (davao city) and from a maranao-owned store in metro manila (at tiendesitas shopping center in c-5, pasig city).

i'll just email you the contact info of the most reputable storeowner i've met, i.e., the maranao guy, who owns a shop both in aldevinco and in tiendesitas.

now as for that kampilan with a truncated hilt, your weapon sighting system is truly surgically-precise as dimasalang [from another forum] said!

because out of those one hundred items i've looked at, that was the one that even in real life has got all the marks of an authentic old piece -- and in fact that's the one i bought a month ago.

i was able to etch the kampilan's blade last night, following the tips gathered from this forum. the blade's lamination has come out, and i'm going to post the pics of that kampilan on a new thread, to further solicit all of your opinions.

ps - i've never been to the ermita antique shops. but i plan to do that this fine saturday morning!

bill, thanks for the heads-up and we'll see whether the shopkeepers would still be singing the same tune
Old 25th October 2008, 12:30 AM   #25
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
... Listen to their wonderful stories. Buy something cheap but fun. But unless you really know the pieces, odds are very great that you will buy expensive tourist pieces that were made to appeal to a "new" collector!
Hi Bill,

Thanks indeed for the heads-up!

Having faith in humanity in general I do sometimes get suckered into a raw deal, thanks to those "wonderful stories".

But I do have my own counter-stories, like "My plane is leaving in a few hours" after which I make a counteroffer of half the asking price. Or "My wife will kill me if she finds out I bought this for blah blah blah" and then once again I shamelessly lowball the item's price.

You'll actually perceive by the body English of the person whether you are anywhere near the true value of the piece.

And whether it's an antique piece or a repro or whatever, it all boils down to what's a fair price as mentioned.

Normally, I look for strong emotions, even anger! Like if my half-the-price-lowballing had him/her screaming me out of the door, then I'd know that I've reached the threshold or my assumption was wrong. Either way, I was able to peel away at more layers of the onion

So indeed, half the fun is getting there!

And thanks again Bill for those tips. I'll surely keep those in mind in my next sortie.

Last edited by migueldiaz; 25th October 2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 25th October 2008, 12:42 AM   #26
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
THAT WAS A FUN ROMP THRU THE SWORD SHOPS OF MANILA. ... STORE #3 WOULD MY FIRST STOP
Hi Vandoo,

Thanks too for your opinion and tips. Much appreciated. I love this forum!

And Store No. 3 would really have the most interesting pieces.

I must also agree with you that half the fun in going over the swords (separating the thrash from the keepers) is precisely the dynamics of negotiating.

And if at times I would have successfully resisted that impulse-buy temptation, I also get a sense of smug satisfaction of how a 'good boy' I'd been

But for how long, who knows?
Old 25th October 2008, 12:49 AM   #27
migueldiaz

Quote:
highly doubt it was from a juramentado, or magsabil ...

spunjer,

thanks for the comments. that lays to rest then the notion that said barung was especially made for or by a juramentado.

following david's advice, i'll just email you the contact info of the stores listed. on the shops in ermita, manila, i've never been there but i do plan on going there today.

i'll also look for mang ven's shop.

best regards!
Old 25th October 2008, 12:52 AM   #28
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaki
ps - would so buy those lumad portraits even if they are modern!!!!!!!!!
apolaki, yeah why not?

in metro manila, tiendesitas (owner also of greenhills shopping center in san juan) would be it. in mindanao, i think aldevinco shopping center would have the most number of shops.

good luck!
Old 25th October 2008, 01:17 AM   #29
kino

I would have fun there just looking around. There would be things other than edged weapons to separate me from my meager allowance.

Quote:
was able to etch the kampilan's blade last night, following the tips gathered from this forum. the blade's lamination has come out, and i'm going to post the pics of that kampilan on a new thread, to further solicit all of your opinions.
Miguel, what did you use as an etchant, I have heard that an unripe Balimbing works well.

Daghang Salamat for posting the photos.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2008, 12:57 PM   #30
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino
I would have fun there just looking around. There would be things other than edged weapons to separate me from my meager allowance.

Miguel, what did you use as an etchant, I have heard that an unripe Balimbing works well.

Daghang Salamat for posting the photos.
Hi Kino!

I used kitchen vinegar as etchant, and following the tips given by Kai and Bill in this forum.

As for the use of 'balimbing', what I heard is that 'kamias' can be used. So I'll just try both.

Salamat! [thank you], also
Attached Images