Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 30th August 2017, 03:20 AM   #1
shayde78
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 62
Default Spear with kris blade

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a tombak. The auction identified it as a "dance spear" (for what that's worth). While the wooden components seem recent and 'touristy', the blade caught my eye as possibly having some age and being in need of a good home.

The entire piece is 55" (from butt to tip of the blade; not including the scabbard). The blade is just under 10", and suffered the tip breaking off at some point.

Any feedback is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures. The tiles here are 6"x6".

Cheers!
Attached Images
        
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 06:11 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator
 
David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Great Midwest
Posts: 5,224
Default

It does indeed to appear to be a tombak.
I am afraid that we only discuss keris here on the forum. You could bring this to the Ethno forum for further discussion if you like.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 06:12 AM   #3
kai
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,850
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayde78
I'm not sure if this qualifies as a tombak.

Yes. It has a methuk of sorts at the base of the blade which qualifies it as an Indonesian/Javanese spear, i. e. tombak. The blade is waved; not a keris blade though - a move of the thread to the general forum seems on order.

I'm afraid this blade is very crudely forged (despite the small inset near the base) and new rather than being of any respectable age. Total length is short enough to pass airline restrictions, I guess. There is a not so recent tradition to mount valuable tombak blades on short staffs or dagger hilts for easier storage. This is not one of them, sorry.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 06:16 AM   #4
kai
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,850
Default

Quote:
You could bring this to the Ethno forum for further discussion if you like.

David, could you push the thread over to the main forum, please?
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 02:38 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator
 
David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Great Midwest
Posts: 5,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
David, could you push the thread over to the main forum, please?

Oh Kai, always insisting that i do all the work. LOL!
Yes, as you can see, i saw this at 2am in the morning so i wasn't quite thinking straight. Move has been made.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 01:46 AM   #6
shayde78
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Yes. It has a methuk of sorts at the base of the blade which qualifies it as an Indonesian/Javanese spear, i. e. tombak. The blade is waved; not a keris blade though - a move of the thread to the general forum seems on order.

I'm afraid this blade is very crudely forged (despite the small inset near the base) and new rather than being of any respectable age. Total length is short enough to pass airline restrictions, I guess. There is a not so recent tradition to mount valuable tombak blades on short staffs or dagger hilts for easier storage. This is not one of them, sorry.

Regards,
Kai



No worries, Kai. I'm glad to have the information, and this was a rather cheap lesson


Thanks all (and apologies for posting in the wrong section).
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.