Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd April 2017, 11:35 PM   #1
thinreadline

Default Koumiya with odd logo on blade

Has anyone come across this knight on horseback trademark on a blade , and why might this appear on a koumiya ?
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 01:22 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

A trade/export blade; probably French if I read the mark correctly.
Joan of Arc.
The curve seems more abrupt than is usually seen.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 10:46 AM   #3
Kubur

I confirm French, normally they are more likely Spanish and English blades.
I knew only one French stamp, the Napoleon III.
Your stamp is really nice, most probably 1880-1900, later they are locally made and crude stamps on local blades.
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:21 AM   #4
thinreadline

Thank you , both of you , this is most interesting , although I have had lots of examples of this type of dagger I have never had one with this trade mark before .
Old 3rd April 2017, 02:50 PM   #5
ariel

There is an unspoken assumption that blades of the "oriental" swords and daggers were made in the "Orient".
Yes, we see quite a lot of Indian tulwars made in England and Moroccan nimcha blades made in Europe.

But for me Koummya had such a peculiar and idiosyncratic blade that I thought it was 100% local.
Well, not true. This example, as well as the one on e-bay now with the blade stamped "M.L. D. London" shows that European cutlers were very busy supplying the " natives" with their national fashions. I am wondering what % of old Koummyas were actually 100% Moroccan...

In a while we may start doubting the origin of Flyssas:-))))
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 07:09 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
There is an unspoken assumption that blades of the "oriental" swords and daggers were made in the "Orient".
Yes, we see quite a lot of Indian tulwars made in England and Moroccan nimcha blades made in Europe.

But for me Koummya had such a peculiar and idiosyncratic blade that I thought it was 100% local.
Well, not true. This example, as well as the one on e-bay now with the blade stamped "M.L. D. London" shows that European cutlers were very busy supplying the " natives" with their national fashions. I am wondering what % of old Koummyas were actually 100% Moroccan...

On that note:
Commerce was always anxious for opportunity to exploit the exotica of the colonial places the super powers occupied, so the production of native weaponry in their own styles was not surprising.

In actuality, after the campaigns in the Sudan, Birmingham was producing numbers of 'souveniers' such as 'native 'spear heads etc. for the souks there to supply the quest for these by occupying forces. Actually they had been producing such material as mail armor for the Khedives forces much prior to Omdurman.

For America, the legendary Bowie knife ended up with considerable volume of them in America being produced in Sheffield, England.

There are almost too many instances of these kinds of commercial production of 'indiginous' or nationally attributed forms made in other countries to even touch on here. The point is however, well noted, and another often perplexing factor in the conundrums of identifying these arms.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 08:59 PM   #7
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel

Yes this is quite astonishing , but the evidence is there to be found
Old 3rd April 2017, 09:01 PM   #8
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
On that note:
Commerce was always anxious for opportunity to exploit the exotica of the colonial places the super powers occupied, so the production of native weaponry in their own styles was not surprising.

In actuality, after the campaigns in the Sudan, Birmingham was producing numbers of 'souveniers' such as 'native 'spear heads etc. for the souks there to supply the quest for these by occupying forces. Actually they had been producing such material as mail armor for the Khedives forces much prior to Omdurman.

For America, the legendary Bowie knife ended up with considerable volume of them in America being produced in Sheffield, England.

There are almost too many instances of these kinds of commercial production of 'indiginous' or nationally attributed forms made in other countries to even touch on here. The point is however, well noted, and another often perplexing factor in the conundrums of identifying these arms.

Absolutely Jim , well summarised .
Old 4th April 2017, 07:55 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
Absolutely Jim , well summarised .
Thank you so much for the kind note, very much appreciated!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote